SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nathan2113

Seeking a Palestinian olive tree to commemorate reunion with my father

Alex Summers
8 years ago

Hello. This post may be a little out of the ordinary for this forum, but here goes-

I recently met my father for the first time ever. I'm in my 30s. He did not know that I existed until I contacted him a few months ago - my mother never told him, and it was basically a miracle that I was even able to discover his identity. He and his family have welcomed me into their lives.

With our "first" Father's Day approaching, I felt it would be a nice gesture to get him a seed to plant, as a symbol of our new and growing relationship. He's a gardener, and in the past has planted a tree with my younger half-brother to commemorate his birthday.

I would really like to get a Palestinian olive tree. I cannot find seeds or trees anywhere online. These trees are of the "baladi" or "nabali" variety.

I'm sure getting the tree is only half the battle - he lives in a hardiness zone 7, I think the climate would be challenging. But, he immigrated from Palestine and has deep ties there. It would be a perfect symbolic gift.

If anyone knows where I could find these specific trees short of going over to Palestine, I'd really appreciate the tip. None of the websites I've visited have this variety.

Thanks!

Comments (10)