SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

AV Questions: Part 2

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Hey Guys, you know sequels are never as interesting as the Original/Part 1? LOL

Lucille, I agree..the first thread was taking its sweet time dl'ing..who's have 'thunk' a sucker question would make the top 100? LOL..J/K..

To be honest, I'm happy it grew..I've met some wonderful people, learned quite a bit about AV's, and had fun reading posts. I enjoy and find it informative hearing others' opinions and care of plants. (all types)

Fred..I took your advice, titling this thread as you instructed.

The only problem is, when I respond to posters comments/questions, my mouse does its job, scrolling up and down to read and reply, but my brain doesn't store data like a puter, so whatever was asked/stated on the original thread is lost...(S)

Let's see, Saturday, I joined the AVSA. (as a b-day gift to myself, among other items I plan on ordering like the 2 books.) LOL

I haven't yet ordered them..I don't know if I should phone in or order online? I sometimes worry about security, how safe a site really is.

So, as a member, what am I to expect now? Beside the magazine, (can't wait) and discounts, is there anything else I should expect or do?

How many ppl from this forum attended last years AV show? Do you guys know each other? Did you meet in OK?

So, the 2009 show will take place in Reno? The good news is my sister and a friend are planning on moving there before the end of the year. My sister already has a place, in fact, she has resided in NV the last 4 yrs. Returned but decided she prefers NV to IL. I'd love to go, but I have problems travelling. It'd be great meeting everyone, not to mention viewing every AV known to man..

How do people get to these shows? Drive or fly? If you fly, (after purchasing plants) what are the airlines policies about bringing plants on a plane? If you guys drive, especially for those who are more than a hop, skip and jump away from Point A to Point B? Do plants handle well in a car?

M3..You may have answered this before, I can't recall. Do you not grow standards/large AV's? Are all minis/semis?

You stated the soil I asked about was Robs. Does that mean you don't repot new plants? Do you keep in the same container/soil..if so, at what length of time? Or does Rob sell soil?

Repotting AV's is something that's confusing. I keep AV's in their original pots until they adapt. But I don't know the appropriate time before repotting.

Most plants (tropials/subtropicals/succulents, aren't a problem. It's a matter of checking roots..if rootbound, repot, if not, let it be..but w/AV's, it's a different story.

All new AV's are still in original containers. I'm afraid to repot. One group of AV's are potted in square plastic containers..I want them OUT and into round pots..I hope this won't be a problem. It's like the psychological test where one places a round object in a round spot, and a square object in a square spot..repotting square into round is like choosing the wrong spot..LOL

Since Fred and M3 mentioned going to the show, I'm unsure about Barb, approximately how many people turn up? What's the average amount of AV's ppl purchase? Do they sell other plants, too? How many vendors go? Do they sell supplies? Oh I'm getting excited thinking about it. Hubby and I used to go to bird fairs/shows..One time we went to a local Cactus & succulent show..let's say our hands and arms were full after the show. LOL

I'm still pondering how transporting plants safely from state to state is done.

M3, can't believe you walked out with 2 plants..LOL..that must have been difficult??? Especially after viewing, I'd imagine, thousands. Various types.

Fred and Barb, how about you? Can you walk out with 2 plants, or inclined to purchase more than is humanly possible to haul? LOL

These shows sound wonderful. But as I stated above, I have problems travelling, not to mention pets. Our dog, Sam weights 172lbs..Most ppl are a bit intimidated to care for him..Believe me, we went through this in 2002. What a disaster! The smaller dog isn't a problem..Then there are birds and iguana..But who knows what'll happen by then..

It'd be great if a show was held in Chicago..But the city is so darn congested. In March, Navy Pier holds a Flower and Garden Show. We used to attend, but stopped in the late 90's..for a few reasons..For one, several vendors stopped going. I talked to a few and they said, moving plants back and forth wasn't worth the trouble.

For a Flower and Garden Show, there were more unrelated vendors pitching, (insurance, pools, trailors, magazines) it wasn't worth going. While walking, the vendors would block your way trying to get you to sign up for something that had nothing to do with plants. That is NOT a plant show.

Okay, sorry for writing a short story...LOL.

I still have to look for Tiger and the 2 AV books, then should be set..Also repot AV's..it's gotta be done soon. Toni

Comments (37)

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Toni, Congratulations on joinging AVSA. I hope you grow to love the organization as much as I do.
    I am a life member and have attended the last 8 conventions: Chicago, Washington DC, Baton Rouge, Tucson, Cincinnatti, Minneapolis, Denver and Tulsa. Convention is great fun after you go to a few conventions and start to make friends. People you see only once a year, but somehow it feels like it was only yesterday. There are informative seminars, banquets, luncheon auction, and of course, the show itself and the sales tables. No insurance salesmen! Surprisingly getting your purchased plants on the plane isn't all that hard. The vendors, for the most part, sell blooming starter plants that are sleeved in plastic and they fit into my carryon pretty well. This year I bought about 25 plants and brought home 14 leaves. Oh, and quite often at the seminars there are free leaves given away.
    Hope you can attend convention sometime! The next one is in Reno (as mentioned above) and the one in 2010 is in North Carolina - Raleigh I believe.
    Oh, and what kind of dog do you have that it weighs 172 lbs!
    Yikes!

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"M3..You may have answered this before, I can't recall. Do you not grow standards/large AV's? Are all minis/semis?"

I don't like standards, I only do minis & semis (and "micros")... and actually, I am thinking about phasing out mosta my semis, cos even those are too big for my liking. (Not so much a space issue, just that I prefer the tiny ones cos they're the coolest looking to me... Tho my apt. is tiny too, so maybe it's a little bit about the space issue)

"You stated the soil I asked about was Robs. Does that mean you don't repot new plants? "

Of course I repot new plants, but I said (twice I think) that pic was taken RIGHT AFTER I bought the plant. Like, I bought the plant at Rob's table, went back over to Pat Hancock's table where me & my friend Jana were helping out, and Jana snapped the pic.
    I repotted as soon as I got it home a couple days later, I didn't bring my potting supplies to have on hand in my hotel room at Convention LOL.. It is now much better looking in wicking soil and nice & snug in a tiny 1/2oz solo condiment cup.

"M3, can't believe you walked out with 2 plants..LOL..that must have been difficult??? Especially after viewing, I'd imagine, thousands. Various types."

Nope, it was pretty easy for me, 'cos there wasn't anything I was interested in. The two I did get were two I really wanted, but other than that I saw nothing else from my wish list. I'm picky about the plants I want.. I want teeny tiny, and that's about it :-D

P.S.
    I think you are getting "Show" and "Convention" confused... Shows are held all over the country all year round for the most part, and I bet you could find one close to you. The National Convention is just that, the NATIONAL... it's "THE BIG ONE"... You will start to understand some of this stuff a bit better once you start getting your AVSA magazine in the mail, I think.

• Related Discussions

Ariens A21AV2 Auto pully question/issue?

Q

Comments (1)
    Also, it looks like some wear underneath the seat near the transmission. Is this related at all to the pully issue?
    ...See More

Are these Growing too Well Part 2 & Wicking questions

Q

Comments (7)
    You can either moisten the soil before potting or give it a good watering once it's potted. In order to get things started, the wicking material and the soil have to be moist. Otherwise, the wick won't draw water. You also have to check from time to time to make sure that the soil and the wick are still moist. For some strange reason, mine sometimes dry out even though there is plenty of water in the reservoir, and then it stops drawing the moisture up into the plant. As to the "mounding", I've had violets do this before, and I'm not sure what causes it. The general rule with violets is that they don't need more than 3-4 rows of leaves at any time. So you might consider plucking off some of those bottom leaves. It would be nice to root those that you take off, in case anything happens to the mommy plant. :) As far as I can see in your picture, the one on the bottom with wavy leaves looks very healthy. You'll have to post some more pictures when they get settled and start blooming! Good luck!
    ...See More

Part 2 of 3 question poison ivy on shed

Q

Comments (6)
    everyone qualified their opinions on the pix alone ... take some time at the link ... and make sure you know what you are looking for ... same for p. oak .. if it got it in your yard.. its probably still around.. be very careful ... long pants ... long sleeves.. duct tape gloves to shirt .... and throw it all in the hot washer when you are done. if you want to be proactive .... ken
    ...See More

2 part question, yard care and mole or squirrel issues

Q

Comments (6)
    Not enough information. Do you have weeds you need to take care of? What type of grass do you have? Is your yard bumpy because of the earthworms or the moles? Moles primary food source is earthworms. I had them bad a few years back. I tried every product, including grubex, to no avail. Then I found the Trapline mole traps and cleared my yard of them completely. Do you have raised tunnel like areas in your yard? If you do tamp them down and check them again the next day. If they're back up you probably have a mole or moles. I consider earthworms a sign of a healthy yard. Although I can't actually see mine :) I would take care of the rodent problem before I started too much of a yard plan. However, since you asked.... 1. Pre emergent around when the forsythia bloom. You can use the gddtracker to help time this. Dimension and Prodiamine are popular and relatively affordable. I sprayed Prodiamine this year at the max rate for full coverage into late fall. Granular form is easier but was mostly efficient for me. 2. Spot spray weeds when they are actively growing in the spring or fall. 3. Fertilize for the first time around Memorial Day. Then again around Labor Day. I would strongly urge the use of Milorganite if it's in your area. 4. Finally, after your grass has stopped growing, you know when you mow and there are no clippings, apply a winterizer; urea is good (46-0-0) . 5. Deep, infrequent watering is crucial as well as is mowing high. These are very basic instructions and not exact for anyone but could be used as a start. I do things a bit differently than this myself but you would have a nice lawn with minimal effort this way. Good luck! Please ask more questions as I'm just bouncing general ideas around here!
    ...See More
  • fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Well, looks like we're on our way to the second 100. Depending on where you live it might be better to go to a local show for the first time. The convention is a lot of fun and has lots to offer however it can be rather daunting if it is your first one. I don't want you to be confused, what m3rmald said is true, there is also a show at the convention which is as she said the big one. People come from all corners of the globe to the convention. A few years back the convention welcomed the first visitors from Russia and since then they have been a welcome presence. Visitors have also arrived from Japan and other sections of the Far East. Personally Ii havve only been to three which I believe I mentioned in Part 1. All of those have been by car. Some people stay for the entire week long convention while others just stay for a couple days or even just one day to see the show and buy plants from the sales room. Besides the National convention there are state conventions. Here in the East we have MAAVS, the Mid Atlantic African Violet Society and there is a New York AV convention held annually also. Most of these larger conventions have vendors who bring plants and leaves to sell as well as supplies for potting and anything else that can be used for growing and showing African violets.
    Glad to see you joined AVSA. I know you will enjoy the magazine when you get it every other month. I was going to order Growing to show today but got up late because we were in NYC yesterday to see a show (The Jersey Boys) which I have been wanting to see since it opened over two years ago. We have had the tickets for almost a year and finally got there. The wait was well worth it.
    Be th at as it may, when I attended the DC convention I met a few of the people I had been talking with online. In fact we had a group meeting of internet growers which was a lot of fun, especially putting a face to a name.
    Speaking of internet groups I belong to the Violet Voice group which is another online group. We have an online chat every Wednesday evening and people (some of whom are also in this group) are also members of the Violet Voice.
    I will put a link in this email so you can check it out and decide if you would like to join. It's free and a lot of fun.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: The Violet Voice

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

And if you like violet chat, we also have chat almost every night (sun-thurs) on the violet reflections forum as well :-)
    (If you go there & join, lemme know so I can let Jana know to approve you--We don't approve memberships we don't recognize 'cos we don't wanna have the place overrun by spammers...)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi m3rmald,
    I submitted my request for registration to the site. Hopefully I will see you there.
    FRed in N J

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Fred--HOW AWESOME it will be to have you there! I will have Jana approve your membership as soon as she comes online today!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dragonfly..You apparently love the conventions. One was held in Chicago? Do you remember where? Was it in the city? Downtown? Or maybe a burb outside of Chicago..If you remember the building's name/or two intersecting streets, I'd appreciate it.
    I wish they planned another in IL. It really sounds like a lot of fun, meeting people who enjoy plants, viewing different types, lunches, seminars, and the best: Buying..LOL
    If we were to go, (miracle) a LOT of preperations would need to be made.
    To be honest, I'm shy..actually, so is my husband..LOL. There's also a couple personal problems, the pets, and of course expense. We'll see how things go by then.
    We have an English Mastiff (Sam)..and last Christmas, we adopted an abused Shih Tzu. (Coco) Coco will be a year in August. The two look so cute together. Did you see the movie Twins w/Arnold Sshwarzenegger and I think Danny DiVito? Well, that's what these two look like when standing side by side..LOL
    We also have 4 cockatiels..2 (male and female) are sitting on eggs. I have to decide whether or not to keep or discard. It's a difficult decision, but we don't need more birds, and people aren't spending, adding additional family members like they did in the past. (I'm not a business, it started as an accidental hobby.)
    I'll take a pic of these guys and try posting. There may be a pic of Sam on my website, but not sure. I lost 300+ pics that were stored on desktop when my computer broke a few months ago..
    Have you met anyone from this forum?

M3, I bet if you were offered a gorgeous standard, you'd find space. There's always room for 'one' more.
    IMO, those of us who dote on AV's should have one of each size..Large down to micro. Large as in Tiger to Rob's Twinkle Blue.
    I doubt Hotel management would approve of someone bringing soils, pots, trays in a room, only for the maid to find spilled, muddy soil on the carpeting..LOL.
    The few times we travelled, (funerals) a plant/s followed me to the hotel/motel..they were set before the window..wonder what the maid thought. In 2004, we found an outdoor nursery..the owner was a very nice man..I ended up buying a tree Gardenia and blood-red Musa (banana.) each 3+' tall. Both made the trip from TN to IL w/o problems. (drove)
    I'm curious as to the number/types of AV's sold at the conventions. Do they sell rare speicmens?
    I can't wait to get the AV magazine. Do new members get beginner editions, or will we receive the same volumn the old-timers (not age-wise, lol) get?
    Well M3, choosing two plants out of what, hundreds? thousands, is a difficult task. :)
    I know the difference between a show and convention..Like I stated in a previous post, we used to attend bird shows/fairs but never made a convention. Shows and conventions have the same meaning be it birds or plants.

Hey Fred..Are you saying there will be a: AV Questions: Part 3? LOL..?
    I don't mind, as long as nobody else does. I enjoy talking to everyone, although I've said it before, I have to repeat..I've learned so much since first posting, but realize I've got a long way to go. It's going to worse once temps drop, and my least favorite season begins..Winter.
    I don't have room for another shelf. Can't recall if I mentioned this before, but I have 300-400 plants. Many are sun-loving. AV's are dedicated to LR south windows, which means, I may donate a group of Phildendrons to the conservatory. I hate doing it, but between the two plants, AV's come first.
    Do the Russian visitors bring plants from Russia or here to buy?
    These conventions sound so exciting. Who'd have thought so many people loved this little, fuzzy leaf plant?
    Oh, in another thread I asked what MAAVS meant..You don't have to explain again. You said, all the conventions you've attended were by car, so are there, out of country conventions too? Are they listed in the AVSA magazine? African Violet Society of 'America?'
    I'm glad you got to see The Jersey Boys..I too enjoy, well, guess they're documentary films. Was it a play or on screen? The 4 Seasons had some great tunes..
    When you go to a show/convention, do you wear a name tag? How do you go about finding people from this forum?
    I'll check out Violet Voice later..gotta start dinner in a bit. Is it affiliated with GW?
    Fred, thanks for everything. You may not realize it, but you've been a big help. Don't get me wrong, several others on the forum have also helped, but you actually motivated me working with AV's. Thanks..

M3, wow, another forum? :) I'll check both sites a little later..I want to thank you too..all you guys, (guys meaning both female and male genders) have been patient and most helpful. Barb has been great too...speaking of Barb, I haven't forgotten the half written letter that needs completion.

Off to make dinner. Also have a bit of garden work to do..soil is bone dry. My Brugmansia is so wilted..Gotta set out bird seed for the outdoor birds. My birds need dinner, too, which consists of 15 beans, various veggies, rice and speghetti.
    Talk to you guys later..hugs, Toni

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"One was held in Chicago? Do you remember where? Was it in the city? Downtown? Or maybe a burb outside of Chicago..If you remember the building's name/or two intersecting streets, I'd appreciate it."

It'd prolly be a moot point if she does remember exactly where it was held, 'cos it's not probable it will be held there again... The National Convention is in a different city every year.

"M3, I bet if you were offered a gorgeous standard, you'd find space. There's always room for 'one' more."

I've had several offered to me, and nope--I am not interested in standards. When I happen to get them in trades, I then in turn trade them away to others. Or just gift them away. Don't like 'em. :-)

"I doubt Hotel management would approve of someone bringing soils, pots, trays in a room, only for the maid to find spilled, muddy soil on the carpeting..LOL."

As a jeweler (goldsmith) who travels to see my boyfriend in FL over the last 5 years, I must say I've had a lot worse, scarier, more dangerous, and/or messy things with me in hotel rooms than just some stupid dirt. :-p
    There's no hotel rules about potting supplies... seriously.

I often have my torch and saws and all kindsa scary tools & messy chemicals with me in my hotel rooms. Housekeeping comes in and the most I get from them or management is "Wow, what are you making? Cool!"
    As long as I don't burn the place down (and I know what I'm doing, so I don't), it's all good.
    But as for soil? The hotel industry deals with a lot more messy gross stains than just dirt. Think about it. (or don't, actually... 'cos it's gross)

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

P.S. The AVSA makes you up a nametag to wear for convention, you put your info in when you register before going.
    I had them just put m3rma1d on my nametag. I met a lotta people I knew from online violet groups (here on GW included)
    None of them woulda recognized me if I'd put my real name LOL

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

It was in Arlington Heights, near Chicago - at some big hotel - I think it might have been the Sheraton. It was 2001 - so I don't remember the hotel for sure.
    The one in Washington DC was held at a hotel that also hosted a lot of members of "Rolling Thunder" which is a motorcycle group of Vietnam veterans. What a dichotomy of hotel guests that was! Can you imagine a hotel full of african violet people and bikers! They were actually very nice people and some of them even toured the show!
    We have a big dog and a little dog too - both rescues - one 65 lbs and one 18 lbs - they also look extraordinarily cute together - especially when they cuddle up together for their morning nap.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think Fred's going to see Part 3 sooner than he thinks. 10% memory already added to Part 2. LOL

Hey M3. M3, different cities, but how about different states? How many cities do they visit per state? I'd have to research states covered since the AVSA started shows. Arlington Heights is a long drive from Chicago..
    If they go to different cities in the same state, it's possible they'd have another in Chicago, but I'm not holding my breath. LOL
    Oh Lord, M3, I thought what you told me not to think about and my stomach did flip-flops..Gross.
    So, you're a jeweler..that's interesting. I've seen some of the insturments jewelers work with..My son's friends' father owns a jewelry store..all the do-dads he uses. Burn the place down? How would that happen? Soddering?

Hey Dragonfly..bikes and plants..LOL. sorta like Guns & Roses.
    It seems there are quite a few events in AH's. My school reunion was held there. I found out about it after it was over; should have joined Classmates.com before.
    AH's is a small town but there must be some reason for so many events. I don't know if you stopped in Chicago while here, but they're a good drive away from each other.
    What month was it held?

Well, it's 12:30am.. Best get ready for sleep..Have a great night you guys..Toni

• lucillle
    15 years ago

I am trying to join both the Violet Voice and Violet Reflections also.
    I took some time and read through 'Growing to Show', it's an awesome book.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Get prepared - blue ribbons are coming!

I.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"I am trying to join both the Violet Voice and Violet Reflections also."

Well, I can't help with Voilet Voice, but your Violet Reflections membership is now approved. Welcome!
    :-)

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Thank you!!! I went and lurked, it is a beautiful site!

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"I went and lurked, it is a beautiful site!"

Well I will take that as a compliment, 'cos I spent many hours designing the buttons and doing the color scheme (not to mention learning the code for getting all of it to show up like that), so thanks! :-)

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Definitely a great choice of colors and well designed. And, from looking through the posts, some down home good folk (just like here).

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

So many questions since I was here last time. Yes Toni, the Russian growers buy a lot of things and take them back to thier homeland. Not only do they buy leaves and plants but one gentleman bought a complete set of AVM's and shipped them home. He paid a good price for them. I seem to recall (but I may be mistaken and would not stake my life on it) that it was Anne Tinari's collection of magazines from the first one to the last.
    Yes Toni, AVSA gives you a name tag to wear which has your name and where you are from. It also lists the number of conventions you have attended.
    Jersey Boys is a musical on Broadway which won the Tony for Best Musical in 2006. It's still going strong and filling every seat in the theater for each performance. Tickets are hard to get and sometimes you have to wait for months to see the show but in the end, it's really worth it especially if you love musical theatre and Broadway shows. There was a point a couple years ago when I would get to see almost one show a month. But now that I am living 2 hours away it's a bit harder and also a bit more expensive since the prices keep going up. My seat at Jeersey Bous was in the second row of the Mezzanine and the price was $121.00. When I was still working we had a connection with the Theatre Development Fund where we saw shows for 20-30 dollars. In fact some shows were even less. I do go to NYC once in a while and stand on line at a TKTS booth which sells left over seats at half price so that isn't too bad.
    m3, what kind of torch do you use when you are soldering? I just gave my B tank of acetelyne to my son in law since I haven't made anything since I retired. I still have all my tools though and hopefully some day will begin crafting hewelry again but not it gold.
    As for conventions, I know that there is one in Canada that Nancy attends and if I were a bit younger I would consider going to it simply because there are some very good growers there.
    Still have a long way to go before AV Questions: Part 3
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"m3, what kind of torch do you use when you are soldering? I just gave my B tank of acetelyne to my son in law since I haven't made anything since I retired. I still have all my tools though and hopefully some day will begin crafting hewelry again but not it gold."

I would really love to have an acetelyne setup, but I make do with propane and even butane for the tiny detailed things I make.
    I don't work in much gold, mostly silver.
    But I call myself a "goldsmith" because technically that's what it's called when you make small items from precious metals.. a "silversmith" refers to someone making hollow-ware type stuff, which I don't do.
    :-)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

m3 do you have a web site where we can see some of the jewelry you have made?
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Sure do Fred, but it's a coupla years outta date 'cos I'm really awful about updating it
    www.m3rma1d.com

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy,
    Sorry I haven't commented..There's a lot going on and Fri, (big cleaning day) was busy. The temps have been high, in the 90's, w/90+% humidity, so the house is/was hot..not much breeze blowing in the windows, the fans are running overtime.
    We got quite a bit of rain this morning, but at least outdoor gardens and house plants are watered.

I gave in and ordered Growing to Show from the AVSA. The second book is on hold..AVSA makes it sooo easy to order, like most other sites..a click of a button and it's yours. lol

I also looked for 'Tiger' AV from the last 4 nurseries ordered..While browsing, I came across a few others that are gorgous. From Robs: Ma's Watermelon and Ma's White Elephant..(love those Ma plants.)
    Violet Gallery: The same as above, (minus Elephant, not listed on their site) Tommie Lou and Duson Dull Trail.
    Lyndon Lyon's has an AV called Lime Wire that was out of stock last time I placed an order.
    So far it's between Robs and Violet Gallary.
    In the meantime, I've decided to donate most, not all, Philodendrons to the conservatory, to make space for AV's come autumn.
    After Showing to Grow comes in, hope the info answers questions regarding AV care.

I still have to check out Violet Voice and Violet Reflections. I'll try tonight, if not then, maybe tomorrow..

HEY Fred...how ya doing? What's the law on hauling plants out of US to Russia? Do they have to sign papers, are plants quarantined before permitted in?
    Are you saying, now that I'm an AVSA member, they'll send a tag along with the magazine I can wear to shows? or is this done another way?
    Fred, to be honest, I've never been to a play/musical in my life..the closest I've come to NY is Ohio. Going to NY was once a dream. Somehow it never happened, so here I am, stuck in IL. Even though, I'm beginning to think NY is quite similiar to Chicago, and now that I'm older, let's say seeking a country-atomosphere opposed to city life is a new dream. No more wild parties..But I'd love going up east some time before it's too late. I've heard it's beautiful. Another 'dream.' LOL
    Is Nancy your wife or soomeone from here?

Hey M3, you've made the jewelry shown on your site? It's gorgeous. You should sell on Ebay, if you dont already. There's one seller on Ebay who makes his/her own stuff and sells. It's nice but not as intricate as the two pieces you've made..Good for you.

I wish the mag or book arrived today..it's a dreary, gray day, a day to sit back, relax with a good book. Guess it's back to mysteries..

I hope everyone is having a nice wkend. Can you believe it's mid-July already??? Where did summer go? I'm not looking foreward to winter at all. Fall and spring are pretty though.

Oh, a question..for those of you who wick water/fert, do you keep soil wet/fert in winter as often as summer? Also, for those who keep AV's under lights, do your plants get any natural sun? In summer?
    Most ppl have air conditioning/central air, so homes are kept cooler in summer. A/C dries the air. What do you guys do for humidity? I thought AV's like humidity? No? Toni

PS. I may, may depending on cost, order Ember Lace Epicia if one is available..they ARE gorgeous,too.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"Are you saying, now that I'm an AVSA member, they'll send a tag along with the magazine I can wear to shows? or is this done another way?"

No Toni, you get a nametag only if you register to go to the AVSA National Convention.

"Hey M3, you've made the jewelry shown on your site? It's gorgeous. You should sell on Ebay, if you dont already. There's one seller on Ebay who makes his/her own stuff and sells. It's nice but not as intricate as the two pieces you've made..Good for you."

Oh god, no. I would never sell my work on ebaY. People are always trying to get the "best bargain" there... So to me, ebaY is not a place to sell my art. I get good money for my work, and have no desire to sell on a site where I'd be competing with mass-made overseas cheap crap and letting things go for much less than I get now just by selling by word-of-mouth. The jewelry I make is expensive (but worth it as it's 100% handmade by me, and only contains precious metal and real stones) I'd never "cheapen" it by listing it there to be lost in a sea of (mostly) crap.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

P.S. Toni--the "two pieces" I've made? LOL
    Apparently you didn't look on my site much... Try this link, cut strait to the "jewelry" section.

Of course that's not everything I've made either, I've made a heck of a lot more that I haven't put up (or didn't get pics of)...
    But "two pieces" that really cracked me up

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey M3..Actually, Ebay sells junk to excellent condition items..My brother bought a Henry Hill painting..You know the gangster who, after testifying, was placed in the protection program? Did you ever see the movie Goodfellows? Same man, (not the star playing Hill's character,) same mobster, his painting. lol

I don't know your age, but have you heard of the Beatles? (who hasn't?)
    The car, (think it was a Volvo,) the Beatles rode in and transported their equipment was sold on Ebay..Believe me, that was not a piece of junk..LOL. I wish I could remember the winning bid paid, but obviously more than every house put together in Brookfield, both sides of the street, with change to spare..LOL Wonder if there's a way to look it up?

Your pieces are impressive. Are the paintings work you've done, too?

M3, it may be my computer, but when I click on Jewelry, all that's displayed are two pieces. The top pic looks like diamonds, the bottom has different colored beads.
    Under paintings 3 pop up. Mermaid, Woman and Misc.. When I click on Mermaid, 2 pics, Look Back and Hearing. Woman and Misc also display 2 pics each.
    Wood, Jaunts and Comics say, Coming Soon. Sorry, but that's all that shows on my puter.

I clicked on everything clickable..Before and after you resposted.

I have another AV question, but we'll ask when M3 and I resolve her website mystery. Toni

• larry_b
    15 years ago

M3,

Nice website. Did you write it yourself?

Larry

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Toni

I found more pieces by scrolling down, did you try that?

I think Ebay is many things. I do see a lot of junk but there are also treasures. I like heavy old handcrafted sterling brooches and have bought several on Ebay. In fact, they are not something one would commonly come across so Ebay is a good way to find them.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"M3,

Nice website. Did you write it yourself?"

Yep, I made the website and everything on it, I made. :-D

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucille, I can only scroll down so far; about 1" if that.
    I clicked on the pic w/the girl, Anne Marie.
    M3, is that you? If so, you're quite attractive..
    Even when I click on the girls image no other jewerly pops up.
    Lucille, every so often you come across treasures on Ebay. A friend of a friend goes to thrift stores looking for rare items..she picked up a silk purse for 20.00 and sold on Ebay for 350.00..What a profit!! The purse was in excellent condition.
    I haven't seen broaches in years. In fact, I forgot they existed..Toni

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Toni

Are you using the scroll column in the middle of the page not on the right?

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I have been away from my computer for over 24 hours and boy has this site been busy. M3, love your jewelry, I thought you might be interested in a book I found a few years back. It was on weaving with wire. I will try to dig it out and get the correct name and author for you. I myself worked mainly on pieces that I sawed and soldered. One of these days I will have to photograph my work and post it for all to see. I have also done a lot of weaving, wall hangings and fabrics some of which are not too bad. I also did a few copper enamels which I had framed and have hanging in my house. I often have invited ladies over to see my etchings...............lol and I really have a few that I did in college back when I was a youngster. I also agree with you on ebay. If a handcrafted piece is to your liking, BUT IT, give the creator a break and a few buck to encourage him or her to continue working. I have a few things I sold in a nice craft shop years ago and when they were going out of business and had a half off sale, I pulled my stuff out of it.
    Toni, I realize that not everyone is fortunate enough to live close to NYC so they can get to see shows on Broadway but now there are so many touring shows that are just as good as what you find on the great white way. Just last year my wife Irene and I went to Philadelphia and saw Wicked. I assume that if you are anywhere near a big metropolitan area that there are shows that you can see. Frequently shows have tryouts out of town and you can see them even before they open on Broadway.
    The Nancy I mentioned is Nancy Robitalle who frequently answers questions here on the garden web and also writes articles for the AVM. She recently had a book published on diseases of violets which I will buy eventually. She is very knowledgeable and has lots of experience growing and showing violets.
    That's about all I have to spout off about this time. Hope everyone had a nice weekend and stayed cool.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucille, I scrolled both outter and inner arrows. Maybe it's my computer. There are times ppl send pics that won't open.
    My tower is new, Windows are Vista, not Windows XP what I was used to.

Fred, we're in a burb, nowhere near shows. There may be something in Chicago, but we don't go to the city..For one, it's so congested parking is impossible. And a few other reasons.

I have an AV question.
    One AV started from a leaf, rooted and grew other leaves. The thing is, all the new leaves are pure white. Of course, when I rooted, I potted in a small, plastic cup..a number is written on the cup, which means nothing to me.
    Anyway, my question is, why are the leaves all white..It's in the same window as all other AV's, getting the same care, fertilzier, sun, and water. The original/mom leaf is plain, medium green..Anyone have an answer?

Nancy is doing well for herself..that's great..start out writing mag articles, and end up writing a book. Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Does the violet leaf have a name? If so it may be a variegated leaf which had turned green from the heat. In any case if you give the leaf some fish emulsion it will help put some chloraphyl back into the plant. I really hate the smell of fish emulsion so I more than likely would put the plant where the light isn't as strong. It may help.
    Fred in NJ.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

If you don't wanna go the fish emulsion route, a little sprinkle of Epsom salts in some water also help green up white babies...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy...Happy Friday.
    How's everyone doing? It's been a while since posting, but there were things that needed doing, and thankfully, got most accomplished.
    I'm so upset!! I lost my list of AV sizes..Now I have to jot each name down, then check each individually...I went to the first AV Questions, Part 1, lol, then copied each plant Fred listed. Thanks Fred..

Fred, nope, no name of the AV w/white leaves. Actually, last winter I rooted a few different leaves. Two were from old plants, and one, possibly two from a leaf/ves won on Ebay.
    All were rooted in water, but only one made it. After roots formed, the survivor was placed in a little plastic cup sent with an AV that needed repotting. The problem is, the cup had writing with some type of marker that wouldn't wash off. All it says is, CZ0499..that means nothing.
    At the time I didn't think any leaves would root, so I didn't bother using labels..Also, some of the leaves were from my old AV's without names, bought locally..Stores in this area where AV;s are sold do not print AV names on containers or add a tag.
    The reason I didnt think they'd root is, years ago I'd root in soil. For some reason, later on, no matter what I did, they just wouldn't root. A woman I know told me her mom rooted AV's in water..She simply placed a piece of aluminum foil on top of a container, punched a hole in the foil, then slipped the cutting in the hole..
    What's ironic is, I told her I never ever had luck rooting AV leaves in water..when she rooted AV's, she rooted in water, and I rooted in soil. She nor I could no longer root our usual ways..so, I tried using her mom's idea and she tried rooting in soil, and both our leaves rooted..
    Since, AV leaves are rooted in water.

Fred, why/how does Fish Emulsion put Chlorophyl back in a plant??? That's curious. I have Alaskian and Ferti-Lome brands..does it matter which is used? Both are 5-1-1.
    You don't have to give me a scientific, chemistry reason..I wouldn't have any idea what you're talking about..lol
    I'm not thrilled w/its odor either, but it only lasts 2-3 days, and if it helps, so be it. In autumn, all plants, (not AV's) gets a foliar feed with FE. Those outdoors are sprayed thoroughly, with added 2-4 drops of dish soap (not Dawn) citrus rind, garlic, and this year Cayenne pepper.
    FE kills and prevents scale..Believe me.
    About 4-5 yrs ago, when I bought my Olive tree, it arrived scale-packed..of course, I didn't notice the first couple days, and because it was winter, (the house full) it sat next to other plants..one day while misting, I looked at a leaf and saw a ton of scale..YUCK..inspected the entire plant and saw at least 100 scale..Not only on the Olive, but those little suckers attached to neighboring citrus.
    A woman in Fl who sells citrus once told me she uses FE as a scale preventative. I followed her directions..2 days later, scale went to scale heaven. Or hell!!
    I've been making the soap concoction many years, all is mixed together and voila, organic insecticide..since, plants are bug free..if only I would overcome the fear of spraying fuzzy leaf plants...but one day I'll try it, even though I've never seen bugs on AV's.

Oh, does anyone knew how long it takes for the AVSA to ship a book??? Tomorrow will be a week..am I being hastey? Is that the correct spelling?? It looks odd..LOL..then again, I only slept 4 hours..

Hope everyone has a great, safe weekend. Enjoy before winter arrives..sigh..Toni

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,
    I know that FE supplies nitrogen to the plant and that nitrogen is important to leaf and plant development. Many growers use it as a foliar feed. However, too much nitrogen and the leaves will green up and lose variegation. You should get the book hopefully next week. Usually they are pretty good about shipping things.
    Fred in NJ

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Morning..
    We're having front windows installed..can't wait till the job is finished. I want to see the results. Hope this means more sun.. lol

Fred, how often should I apply FE? And how does it work with other fertizers? FE doesn't burn roots, but if FE and the another fert is used, is there a chance of over-fertilizing?
    Also, because FE is higher in Nitro, will it dissuade flowers?
    When you said, many growers use it as a foliar feed, did you mean AV growers?
    Perhaps the book will come today.
    What time of month does the magazine arrive?

A couple AV's have necks..I was reading (think it was on AVSA site) how to cut and repot, but I'm afraid they'll die. What are the chances of success? Thanks, Toni

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville