SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Favorite lettuce wrap recipes

We went to the Hollywood Farmers' Market yesterday, and I found some beautiful heads of lettuce that I could not resist. They look like Boston lettuce, but one is purple, and the other is dark green - I'll try to photograph them later. (I also found cherimoyas for cheap!)

At first I thought I would just make salads with them, but then I decided that they would be great for making wraps, and they are easier to roll than rice paper. The only recipe I have is for beef, but I want to make something with chicken or turkey. I have leftover chicken breast in the fridge and some turkey breast that we smoked last week-end, and I also have shrimp in the freezer.

Here are some of the ingredients I have in my yard: Thai basil, Italian basil, mint, Kaffir lime, lemons, Yuzu, cilantro, parsley. thyme, oregano, and chives. I bought some morel mushrooms at the FM also, but don't need to use those for this.

Here's the recipe I have for the beef version (which I will not be using):

THAI ROAST BEEF AND LETTUCE ROLLS

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 15 min

1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce*
1/4 cup granulated or light brown sugar
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons minced small fresh green chili such as Thai or Serrano, including
seeds, or 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
16 very thin slices rare roast beef (3/4 to 1 lb) (Sandy used flank steak)
16 large lettuce leaves, from 1 head Boston or 2 heads Bibb
16 fresh mint sprigs
16 fresh cilantro sprigs
2 carrots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks (she also had cucumbers
julienned)

Whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, and chile in a medium
bowl until sugar is dissolved. Toss roast beef with half of sauce to coat.
Season with salt.

Arrange leaves, sprigs, and carrots on a platter and serve with beef. To
assemble, fill each lettuce leaf with a slice of beef, a mint sprig, a cilantro
sprig, and some carrots. Serve with remaining sauce.

*Available at Asian markets and some supermarkets. Makes 4 main-course or 8 first-course servings.

-----------------------

I do not remember where I got this recipe originally, and so I do not remember who Sandy is. I have carrots, and I also bought garlic at the FM, as well as some fruit, WW sourdough bread (which turned out to be very, very good), some French fingerling potatoes, some tomatoes (similar to Roma, but something different that I do not remember). Afterwards we went to Hollywood Suit Outlet, and that is another story altogether - and a bit strange. We had Lebanese food for lunch, down the street.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert