SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_hatfield

Please Help: Darkened tile grout in master shower (pics attached)

Ryan Hatfield
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi - I could use some help from some experts. We built a house and moved in Nov 2013. A few months after moving in we noticed that the bottom row of grout in our master shower was growing darker than the rest of the shower and never lightened back up. When we moved in, all of the grout was the same color. We did seal the grout when we moved in.

We've asked our builder to look at it multiple times and were originally told it was soap scum or something and just needed cleaned, although when they scratched the grout, nothing came off. We since shave bought $50 worth of cleaner including Finnazle and other soap scum and grout cleaners we found in these forums and nothing has helped. Most recently, the builder came out with the tile installer and they scraped off some of the caulking along the bottom of the shower pan (there is caulk all along the bottom of the plastic pan where the tile meets the pan, except for leaving the weep holes clear of caulk). They then stuck a paper towel back between the tile and pan and noticed some wetness. The installer said they wanted to recommend removing the bottom row of tile to investigate because they couldn't know what's going on without doing so; however, when the builder called to schedule the appointment they said the new recommendation was to just use a tile grout stain sealer to match the grout color that is now darkened to the rest of the tile. Sounds like a cove rip job to me, but not sure and I'm worried there could be a bigger issue.

Can anyone help or has anyone experienced this? I'm also concerned that there is dark color behind the caulk along the shower pan, which in past experience has been mold.

Please help...

Comments (19)