SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Please send positive thoughts for my Frenchie...

Sueb20
8 years ago

We have a French bulldog, cutest and sweetest dog on earth but not always the smartest. A week or so ago, she was chasing a bunny in our yard and ran full speed, head first into our fence. She stopped for a second, shook it off, and went about her day. Acted totally fine after that. But last Wed. night -- about a week after the fence episode -- she suddenly started acting very quiet, moving slowly, and trembling a bit. She has a history of eating things like sticks and parts of dog toys, so I thought she had done it again. Took her to the vet, and he almost immediately said, nope, it's her neck. She was stiffening up whenever he touched it. They did blood tests to look for other issues and also did an X-Ray, although he said neck issues won't always show up. Nothing showed up, but he even asked the other vet in the office and she agreed that it was her neck.

We went home with Rimadyl and instructions to keep her quiet -- no jumping, no walks, etc. -- and the vet expected that she would start to feel better in about a day. The next day she was no better so I talked to him again and he prescribed a muscle relaxant. We went off for the weekend at our beach house, and she was still quiet and moving slowly but happy to relax on the porch. Still not playing but didn't seem worse. The vet had said if she wasn't better by the end of the weekend we'd have to look at her again.

Well, this morning DH picked her up gently, the same way we've been picking her up for the last few days, to put her on the sofa, and she cried out in the most awful way. In all this time she hasn't even whined, and this was a bloodcurdling noise. He set her back down and she stopped, then she walked into the next room and went to sit down, and made the same noise. It was awful. So, he called a local emergency vet hospital (we are still away from home) and has taken her there. We are both upset and worried. I assume they will do an MRI to try to get a better look?

Anyone else have experience with a similar injury? I know we have a lot of dog lovers here so please send your positive thoughts our way... She's only 5 and we have an English bulldog who is 12-1/2 and she's the one we expect to have problems! Not our "baby." ;)

Comments (82)