SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Giving up on ma ba remodel and doing addition instead

rockybird
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I thought I would post this here because I feel like a lot of you kind of know my house by now. :) I wanted to see what you thought about how the landscape/views are changed with the addition.

I have been trying to figure out a ma ba remodel in a 1950's house. I see no way to get the space I want for the ma ba/closet without moving walls, diminshing some of the open floor plan I love. Instead of cutting into walls to add windows, moving walls, plumbing, duct work,etc. in current ma ba, it's seems better to put money into a ma br/ba/cl addition.

This decision is timely because the pool equipment needs to be moved for the addition, and I am close to having a new gas line run to it. I also signed a contract last week to bury an electrical cable, but called today to put it off, as it will run into the addition now. I think now is the time to make this decision before I do anything else to the landscape/house.

Advantages:

-Addition will be further from road and neighbors for solitude.

-Addition is in front of pool and spa and will have views

-I can expand living room into current 24 ft. wide ma bedroom.

-Addition will allow me to have more room in office (I can now steal space from master closet to move an office bath).

Disadvantages:

-Will alter view of mtn. from certain angles of the patio.

-Will have to move pool equipment.

Addition would go at end of block wall, where low slung elec. cable is:

I can move the wall with clocks back flush with the wall to the left of the chair to expand living room:

What do you guys think about how it changes the exterior?

Comments (7)