SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjohio27

Downdraft Cooktop Install - Do I need more than standard depth ba

jjohio27
11 years ago

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while here because everyone is so helpful and I love reading everyone's responses :)

I figured I'd post this question because I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere else.

The standard base cabinet depth is 24 inches.

I'm intending to buy the Capital MCT365GSN cooktop and install it with the Electrolux EI36DD10KS downdraft with a 1600 CFM external blower (I was going to post links to the product install manuals but didn't want to seem like I was spammy).

Basically, the depth of the Capital Cooktop's cutout is 20.25" and I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that the actual cooktops length is 21 inches, it's 36 inches wide and 5 1/2" deep.

The Electrolux is a thin downdraft but I'd basically need 1/8" from the back of the cooktop to the downdraft, the downdraft itself is 2 and 5/16" deep and then I'd need another 1/4" from the back of the downdraft to the raised counter bar.

Anyone have any idea if I'd be ok with a standard depth base cabinet or do I need to find one that's slightly deeper than standard i.e. 25"+?

I was planning on doing either a 36" sink base with two 12" ones on either side or, if I could find it, a 60" sink base.

It seems like when I do the math I should be left with about 5/16" but I'm worried I'm not considering something and it'll turn out to be a problem later.

Does anyone have any experience with this as far as installing a downdraft and cooktop in a standard depth base cabinet?

Comments (14)