SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712

Design Around This #1- Dining Room- Edwardian, not Pottery Barn!

jlc712
8 years ago

Let's start off our new DAT, Home Decorating version, by easing in with a project that doesn't require much research and should be fun!

If you'd like to participate (please do!) please post your ideaboard by this Sunday, May 24. Your design can be created using MS Paint, Olioboard, or any other similar program; or just by posting pictures of your ideas. Please keep your ideaboard simple and large enough to see clearly. Please be willing to give and receive constructive feedback on your design.

These pics are pulled from the MLS, and the story is, of course, fictional.

Here's our story: This house was built in 1893, during the very tail end of the Victorian (Eclectic/Queen Anne) era, and the very beginning of the Edwardian era. Styles were shifting from heavy Victorian to lighter Edwardian-- along with Art Nouveau, the Aesthetic Movement, Arts and Crafts.

This house is in an urban, downtown area, and was neglected for many years. It was purchased by developers at a foreclosure auction. It was fixed up, flipped, and is now owned by a young professional couple.

The flippers did a nice job on the major repairs to the house-- roof, exterior, electrical, plumbing, etc. Then, they finished it in "Pottery Barn"-- whites, grays, neutrals, transitional style. The floors were refinished in a light color. The owners want to restore more of the historical character of the home. Our project is the dining room.

Three elements to design around:

1. The fireplace and mantel have to stay as they are.

2. Use some historically appropriate elements. It does not need to be a period reproduction of a dining room from when the house was built. It needs to be functional for entertaining and family dinners.

3. The design needs to coordinate with the homeowner's antique Spode china:

Here's a few links to information on styles at the time the house was built:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/period_artnouveau.shtml http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/period_edwardian.shtml http://www.edwardianpromenade.com/category/interior-design/

Have fun!! :-)

Comments (45)

• voila
    8 years ago

Your links did not work for me. Hope someone gives them a larger rug. :-)

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Voila, sorry about that! Here are the links again. These are very basic overviews.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/period_edwardian.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/period_artnouveau.shtml

http://www.edwardianpromenade.com/category/interior-design/

I also forgot to mention that Downton Abbey was set in 1912-1924, so just slightly post-Edwardian, if that helps with ideas. There are tons of websites and Pinterest boards about Downton Abbey decor.

PBS set the Manor House series in the Edwardian era, and they have a website about the show.

http://www.pbs.org/manorhouse/thehouse/decorating.html

• Related Discussions

pottery barn dupioni silk panels...

Q

Comments (10)
    I purchased the Pottery Barn Silk Duponi Tie Top Drapes in ivory. Initially I purchased 4 panels for my living room bay window and 4 panels for my dining room window. I believe both windows are around 100" wide. I love them so much I purchased 4 more panels for my kitchen eating nook window as well. (I'm lucky that my significant other has not voiced any objections to the curtains.) I absolutely love the curtains and I feel they made the rooms look 10x better than before. The 4 panels for each window look perfect (to me): full and beautiful. The silk duponi looks expensive and the texture is lovely. The panels definitely filter/dim the light but not a lot. Previously I had black velvet curtains on my living room window and nothing on my dining room window (open to the living room - opposite sides of the house) and the living room is significantly brighter than before. In fact, I pretty much only open the curtains if company is coming over because they let in enough light closed. I would imagine the clay color would block the light a little more. The curtains do have a white lining behind the silk. I used the large Pottery Barn Standard Drape Rod and it has a single support in the middle. I purchased the extra-large size for my family room sliding glass door with 2 fixed windows beside it (I think around 110"?) but I have not yet installed the rod or curtains, so I'm not certain how many supports. I think just the 2 outside and the single in the middle, but I'm not positive. I didn't do a great deal of research before purchasing the drapes so I'm not certain if you could find something equally as beautiful elsewhere. But I really do love these from Pottery Barn. I feel like the quality and styling is fantastic and I would definitely do it all over again.
    ...See More

Does anyone know these Pottery Barn chairs?

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes, the chair is similar but the arch is different and the seam along the side of the chair where the back meets the seat (just above the back legs on the side) is different. I've done a little upholstery and that detail on "my" chair seems like a slightly higher quality construction. I think I'm more concerned now because DH just took me to a very nice restaurant (for our 10th anniversary!) that had leather Parsons chairs. They were so uncomfortable! I've rarely sat on a chair more unpleasant. I really wanted to find some reviews of "my" chair to see what people said about comfort and quality, but it doesn't seem as though that's an option. If there is no label on these chairs, is it possible they are still PB? Does PB not put a label on all their pieces? Where might a manufacturer hide their label on an upholstered chair?
    ...See More

Benchwright table from Pottery Barn - to wax or add coat of poly?

Q

Comments (98)
    This furniture is wood chips compressed with glue, with a slap of cheap stain on top. It's awful given how much the pieces cost and how long you have to wait to have them delivered. The upholstered pieces don't hold up to real life either. I've also experienced dye fading in expensive PB towels and bathmats with the very first wash, while using a mild detergent like Cheer to protect the colors. The spots never stop appearing. Pottery Barn would not even consider taking them back. So I buy all household textiles elsewhere. Walmart has better quality towels. We shall see how these retailers fair in the next year or so, as the economy is changing rapidly, and how responsive they are to customers when there are fewer of them.
    ...See More

Pottery Barn Small Secretary

Q

Comments (13)
    yes, those near me would need to be updated and parts removed and restored. painted or brought back to mint condition via staining, sanding, etc. our antique stores tend to be more like second hand stores than true antique stores. That said, and after much research and weighing of pros and cons, I ordered the PB small secretary, antique white. Though not tipping the scales in beauty, I'm hoping it's good enough and functional. It is only my husband and me now so it won't be banged around or leaned on. But I know a woodworking guy who could replace the hinges for the desk part, if I need him. I will style it up on top with a mirror and cool lamp, plant, etc. I thought I needed a hutch on top but I have glassed in kitchen shelves for display purposes.
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'll give it a try. This is my first design around that and only my second mood board ever so here goes:

Adding to the backstory a bit for my particular take on this project, the couple decided not to spend the money or put up with the mess of refinishing the floors. Fortunately, they inherited a big Persian rug, which will cover a lot of the floor in the dining room. The walls will be covered in embossed wallpaper, painted benjamin moore robins egg blue. The wife loves flowers and asked for some floral references to be included and the husband is from California and asked for his beloved home state to be included in some way. Both of them also love Georgia O'Keefe's art. So the chandelier and art work were chosen to meet those requests, while the table and chairs were chosen to tie in more closely with the Edwardian style of the home.

(The poppy art work is for sale on Etsy. )

Edited to add, if something on my board isn't big enough to see, please let me know and I can post separate images that should be bigger.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I don't do Olioboards well, so I've decided to tell you all a story. Hope you don't mind.

When Carol and Ted first looked at the house, they knew the dining room could be really spectacular.

Fortunately, the sellers cleared everything out when they moved...and left a fairly blank slate, except for the lovely fireplace and built-ins. Carol knew she wanted something dramatic on the walls, but not too heavy. After doing some research on the web, she found some beautiful wallpaper on Ebay, but only enough to do a small strip around the room. Her imagination took care of the rest!

Then they refinished the floors to be more in fitting with the
    rest of the room. Ted offered to help....he has a friend, who knew a
    guy, who refinished floors :)

Before Carol did anything else, she really wanted to find the right table and chairs. But despite weeks of looking, nothing seemed right. She took a leap of faith and decided to design around them....and went to look for a chandelier. A neighbor had told her about a little shop a few miles away and she asked Ted to go with her. As they walked in, she saw the perfect fixture.

And underneath it was the chair.

Carol stopped and grabbed Ted's arm. They both looked at each other and said....."That's the chair!" Carol clapped her hands together, "It even picks up the orange on my Spode." They walked around and saw nothing like it. "What if it's the only one?" Carol said. Ted replied, "It can't be, it's exactly what we've been looking for all over town."

As they walked through the store, they saw a man working in the back. When they asked if there were any more chairs....he replied, yes, there were five more. He had them in back, because his wife was going to paint them the next week, hoping they would attract a buyer. This one was out because he thought it might look good next to that desk.

"Paint them!" Ted gasped. We'll buy all six, but we need a table to go with them. The man smiled and said, I don't have a table, but I have the perfect rug.

Carol agreed completely, because the rug not only had her orange, but also that light blue from the wallpaper.

So, Ted and Carol came home with six chairs, a rug and a chandelier...but still no table. Ted decided it was time to do some Craigslist shopping! He surprised Carol the next day by taking her out to the garage. "I know you like to do the shopping, but I found this and I wanted to surprise you. It's still not a table...but it will look great with the built-ins."

Carol loved it! Now there was plenty of room for her china and all her crystal.

She was so excited to see everything in the dining room...but still hadn't found a table. It was so ridiculous to design a dining room without a table and she had made every other purchase. Then Ted said he had one more surprise for her and Carol thought it sounded like it had arrived.

"Oh, that's Rob with the truck," Ted said with a smile. He asked if we could do him a favor and help him clean out his garage. Carol looked at Ted and she started smiling, too. "You didn't," she laughed..."how did you?"

She ran out and saw her brother Rob, and started hopping up and down. He had brought over their Grandmother's table, which had been given to him years earlier. "I don't seem to ever have the right spot for this," Rob said, "and Ted told me you were looking for a table. Would this work?"

Carol laughed and hugged her brother. "Holiday dinners for life, Rob." And she and Ted (and Rob) lived happily ever after...as all stories should end :)

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love this, nice work, both of you!

Crl, I really like your choice of that gorgeous rug in combination with the pale blue painted Lincrusta wallpaper. It looks both historical and current, if that makes sense. And I adore that chandelier- where did you find it?

LL, you are quite the storyteller, and I wish real-life shopping was as full of happy coincidences! :-) Those chairs are absolutely perfect, wow! Thank you for saving them from being painted.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

This chandelier is the Primrose bowl in gold from house of antique hardware. Here is a link Thanks for the kind words!

Lavender lass, I like your Art Deco table from the garage!

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Jlc- Thank you! I knew I wanted something unusual for the chairs and I love to go antique/thrift store shopping. We see so much painted furniture these days...and they're really nice, but some furniture should NOT be painted. And I have had those 'happy coincidences' so many times, when I go shopping for one thing and find another item I'd almost given up on. (LOL)

Crl- Thanks...you know, I didn't plan that. The table picture was so small next to the chair picture...I just kept moving it down...and the story just kind of wrote itself. I like the ending though, because my family is always swapping furniture to fit whatever home we're in...and my grandmother was a big collector of family heirlooms. She saved many pieces that no one else wanted and then handed them down to us :)

Now, to your post...that is a wonderful chandelier! The rug and artwork are such great additions to the room and that wallpaper is amazing. Can you post larger pictures of the table and chairs? They're very nice, but I can't really see the detail.

Sorry, I didn't comment on your post last night, but I don't like to look at other ideas (don't want to be influenced on my design) before I write mine down. And by the time I finished....I hit submit and went to bed. These DATs take more time than you think :)

• User
    8 years ago

Your gonna need a bigger rug.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Lavenderlass, table and chairs in bigger picutres. I like the table, but confess that I grabbed the first picture of chairs that seemed appropriate that I could find with neutral fabric. Your chairs are really fantastic.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I like those chairs! The shield backs are so delicate and pretty...and I like the way they contrast with the feet of the table

When I found the chair I used, the first thing I noticed was the orange, but my favorite part is the carving on each side of the center back piece. They remind me of dragons...they're not, but that's what really sold me on the chair!

Dracarys..... :)

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

Here's my first pass at our dining room.

Frankie and Orion are travelers, and they love the journey every bit as much as the destination. Now that they have their first permanent home base, they want their main interest reflected, but they also want to be sensitive to the history and age of the house. They spent some time researching the late Victorian and Edwardian styles and time periods. When they learned about the British hot air balloon races of the early 20th century, they knew they wanted to include a reference to that. It spoke to their sense of adventure. Had they been around back then, they would have been first in line to race a balloon. It didn't take Frankie long to find the perfect chandelier. They just had to build a figurative bridge between that chandelier and Orion's antique Spode. They spent Saturdays at any auction that looked promising. They went to antique stores and even bought some things that were brand new. It took time, but they are happy.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Prettybluehouse, even your chairs have a balloon feel to them! Where did you find that light fixture?

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

crl, I can't remember where that came from. I've looked at a surprising amount and variety of balloon lights today. I really liked your room. The rug is so deep and rich and the overall design is sophisticated.

lavender_lass, I really enjoyed your story. And those chairs, they're great!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Thanks for the compliments everyone. This was a lot of fun. Orange is my least favorite color so it was interesting working with it. I appreciate the effort to set up this challenge!

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, here is my attempt. I may have broken the Internet with all my browsing around. It's definitely more fun than real life shopping with a budget :-)

The couple found the pale orange and green wallpaper first, and loved the vine and bird pattern. It made the fireplace stand out beautifully. They decided to paint the trim molding and the ceiling in a coordinating pale green. Everyone told them to leave it painted white, but they decided to go for it, and it looked perfect.

They visited antique stores and auctions and haunted Ebay until they found the Art Nouveau buffet, with a beautiful painted panel that complimented the wallpaper, and displayed the Spode perfectly. The buffet was a perfect fit on the wall adjacent to the fireplace. They decided to use the built-ins for display of their growing collection of art pottery.

It took a full year of looking for just the right chairs, until they found the perfect ones with flower shaped backs. They ended up having the table custom designed and built to coordinate with the buffet and chairs.

The couple was cleaning out the attic when they found a huge wooden crate stuffed with excelsior. They began digging through it, and were thrilled to find the pieces of the original chandelier. They had it rewired and put it back where it belonged.

Since the wallpaper had so much color and pattern, they wanted to do a solid color rug. Nothing looked quite right until they found the green overdyed rug.

The finishing touch was the purchase of a beautiful landscape painting, painted by by a local artist, Henri Moser, in the 1920's. It was the couple's anniversary gift to each other.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I love the "original" chandelier! And a local and period painting is awesome.

jlc712 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

This one is late-Victorian/Edwardian, and probably too pattern heavy for modern tastes.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

A modernist take:

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Palimpsest, can you tell more about where those patterns go in your first mood board? Is the black at the bottom a rug? And the patterns on the right wallpapers? Thanks!

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

Yes, to the right is the Persian Room set of papers from Bradbury and Bradbury, and the bottom is actually dark blue broadloom carpet in pattern typical of the Edwardian era. To the right are possible chair seat fabrics.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Thank you! I like the dark blue with the China. I admit to being pattern phobic so it is a lot of pattern for me, but I bet it would look spectacular.

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

PBH, you took it in such an unexpected direction with the balloons! I can't believe you found chairs that tied in so well. Super cool.

Crl, red/orange are my least favorite colors. I picked the orange Spode intentionally to be more challenging, but it turns out that I really like it with blues and greens everyone has used. Interesting, and a good reminder I need to get out of my blue/green/brown comfort zone.

Pal, I love Bradbury wallpapers so much. The Persian border is so gorgeous and I love it with the bright blue. Your modernist take makes me want to cry a little :-) but it is very striking.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

Chinoiserie

• selcier
    8 years ago

oh Pal...those wallpapers! I'm in love :)

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

I'm having so much fun with this. Here's another attempt.

Maisie and Dan lived two houses down from each other as kids. In the 70s, all the kids spent the their free time roaming the neighborhood in a pack. Maisie's Great Aunt Peg lived around the corner. She loved kids and it showed, but she never had any, so the neighborhood gang spent a lot of time on her porch all summer long. She was that fun aunt everybody wants. She fed them, taught them all to play poker, and if she saw an older kid or two sneak a cigarette, she never told. Her house was big, mysterious, and irresistible to young imaginations, filled with huge antiques she'd picked up along the way.

Years later, when Maisie and Dan got married, Aunt Peg chose a few of her favorite antiques and earmarked them for the couple. When they bought their beautiful old house, just three blocks away, Aunt Peg was delighted. She hired some movers to come and get the antiques and bring them over to Maisie and Dan's house. Somehow, she forgot to mention it to them.

When the movers showed up with these huge things, Maisie and Dan just stood in the foyer watching them come into the house, half-amused, half-horrified. This is not what they would have chosen, had they been given a choice. They would never want to offend of hurt Aunt Peg, so they decided to thank her and go with it. That buffet, though, how do you work with that? Maisie called in her artist friend Sarah. Together, they figured out something bold, modern, and fun. It's the Aunt Peg of rooms. To make it complete, they framed a photo of a teenaged Aunt Peg and hung it over the mantel.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Fun room! Is that wall,paper or a rug?

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

Sorry, rug. The walls are meant to be F&B Pointing.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

In my design I
    changed the doors on cabinets to nouveau brass framed mirrors. There is a mural
    on the ceiling and darker stain on the floors. The walls are Benjamin Moore Skyscraper
    #765 in egg shell. All cabinetry, moldings and baseboards are BM Skyscraper in
    semi gloss. Art is labeled. Carpets are layered in areas. The fireplace was
    invented by me (but kept in same location) by copy and pasting several different components found online.

In my interpretation
    I wanted more focus on the fireplace and felt it needed a makeover. I didn’t
    much care for the dark recessed but floating look of the built-ins so decided
    to blend but add some interest.

BEFORE

jlc712 thanked just_terrilynn
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Love the ceiling mural!

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

JT, I love what you did with the built in cabinets. I wasn't a big fan of them either. Also love the ceiling mural.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Well isn’t this fun?

Crl- Nice idea with the textured wall paper.

Lavender- love those chairs!

Prettyhouse- cool table.

Jlc72-I really like how the artwork in your 4:07 post puts a
    whole new spin on the design.

Pal- really digging the Chinoiserie!

• cawaps
    8 years ago

Until recently, Mimi and Fitz had been living
    in a suburban ranch style home. It didn't really suit their design aesthetic,
    and they really preferred something more urban. So when this Edwardian gem came
    on the market in a cute urban neighborhood, they jumped at the opportunity. The
    couple scoffs at the corporate blandness of Pottery Barn. Their previous home
    was furnished mostly in thrift store finds, but now, with their careers firmly
    on track, and a bit of an inheritance from Fitz's mom, they can splurge on some
    nice vintage furniture.

The couple fell in love with a set of blue Art
    Nouveau chairs from 1st Dibs. Although they looked at vintage tables, they
    ended up sticking with what they had--a Scandinavian modern dining table passed
    down from Fitz's mom. A pale blue Persian rug picked up the blue of the chairs
    and a bit of orange/rust to play off of their Spode china (also inherited). Not
    one to do anything by halves, Mimi picked Benjamin Moore Pumpkin Spice for the
    walls, and BM Summer Nights for the ceiling. They found a very cool early 20th
    century light fixture at Rejuvenation. Fitz was quite taken with the stong
    vertical lines of the painting by Miles Blair ("With the Crow," on
    1st Dibs), and Mimi agreed that it picked up enough colors from the room
    without being matchy-matchy (Mimi isn't passionate about art, but she doesn't
    like blank walls, either).

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Love the chairs with the rug!

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

Those are some cool chairs, cawaps.

• cawaps
    8 years ago

Comments:

crl_: I love the feet on that table. I have a soft spot for embossed wallpaper (I have some original in my own Edwardian), and the blue paint is a nice counterpoint to the oranges.

Lavender: The wallpaper border is awesome, and manages to evoke an Art Nouveau vibe. And I love the cabinet piece.

Prettybluehouse Balloons: While normally I would think the balloon fixture was a bit kitschy (to be fair, it IS a bit kitschy), I think you did an amazing job pulling the theme together. I love, Love, LOVE the Zeppelin artwork. I had to enlarge it to see the stork carrying the baby--very weird but very fun. I ran across the chairs browsing on 1st Dibs, and might have used them if you hadn't already (and to better effect).

jlc712: I love greens, especially yellow-greens, and love how they work here. I didn't properly appreciate the wallpaper until I enlarged the pic (the displayed resolution doesn't do it any favors). But once I could see it, it's gorgeous, and pairs well with your green trim paint and the green of the chairs. The chairs and buffet have really nice detail.

Palimpsest late-Victorian/Edwardian: I love the Bradbury and Bradbury
    wallpapers; they definitely put a room in the period. I liked that you anchored the room with a relatively toned-down rug.

Palimpsest modernist: It took me a while to wrap my head around this one. Normally I like eclectic, and on thoughtful examination, I bought into the rug, the fixture and the damask. I'm struggling with mentally integrating the table and chair with the rest of the space, though.

Palimpsest chinoiserie: Love this!

Prettybluehouse Aunt Peg: I love the cheerful bright colors here, although I'm not sure about pairing the floral chairs will the floral run would work IRL (possibly too much of good thing, though I like each separately.

Justterrilynn: I love what you've done with the fireplace. It was a bit hard to tell, in the original pic, what was going on with the fireplace (with the table in front), but I think what you've done is a vast improvement. In contrast, I DID like the built ins (unlike you and jlc712) and am a bit sad you painted them (but then, most Edwardian built-ins were painted somewhere along the line). The rug is great, and the artwork is a nice fit.

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cawaps, those chairs are great. Love the "ears" on the back. Your combination of dark ceiling, mid-tone walls, light rug is unusual and I like it. I appreciate your thoughtful comments.

This has been fun. I loved seeing each design. I think Crl's is my personal favorite. I could really visualize the room, with the pale blue lincrusta paper, beautiful chandelier, and the great rug that tied it all together and made it a bit more modern.

Thank you all for participating! I think maybe we'll get more participation when it's not a holiday weekend. Any ideas for next week? Anyone want to put it together? I'll go back and look at the suggestions and post them.

• User
    8 years ago

So this is my first attempt at this game....not exactly Edwardian as you can see:

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

In terms of the next challenge:

I am not sure that a room is a strong enough parameter, because if you honor the essential architecture almost anything can go in terms of the furnishings, unless you call for a period reproduction. It might be more specific of a challenge to work around a painting or specific piece of furniture, for example.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

kswl2, beautiful rug and I really like that sideboard.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I think someone mentioned choosing a piece of art, any piece, and designing a room based that piece but not actually using the art? I would love that--already thinking of a nursery and have a piece of art in mind. But whatever people want is fine with me. I appreciate the work setting this one up; I really had a lot of fun doing it.

• prettybluehouse
    8 years ago

kswl2, I think that rug really compliments the Spode. Nice work.

I like the idea of basing a room off a piece of art, but not using the art in the room. I think someone mentioned a DAT using only things from our own local craigslist. That appeals to me. It would be such a challenge.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Love the round table!

• jlc712
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love Stickley, nice choice! Very quiet, monochromatic room. Isn't Vanessa Bell Virginia Woolf' s sister? I'll have to go Google now :-)