SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Does anyone know these Pottery Barn chairs?

equest17
12 years ago

A consignment shop a few hours away has these leather Parsons chairs listed on their website. I've been looking for a set of 8 in a similar color, so I'm very interested. The staff said the owner bought them at Pottery Barn for $300/piece and they were never used or sat on. Does anyone recognize this chair and know the name? I got the dimensions and the staff says they are very comfortable. I'm not familiar with Pottery Barn upholstered pieces or leather quality, so if anyone can speak to that, generally if not these specific chairs, that would be helpful. They are willing to sell the set of 8 for $750, which seems pretty reasonable to me (more than I've ever paid for dining chairs, of course, but decent given the original price and condition)!

Comments (25)

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I like the chairs and that is a very good price but have to say my only concern would be how comfortable the back is. It appears to be sloping toward the back, and for me, that's not a comfortable chair for spending time around the table.

Maybe they could take some photos with someone sitting in them? Either that or you're in for a day trip! :~)

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I noticed that about the back too, annz. But I actually thought it might make them more comfortable, if it's not too extreme. The low back/lumber area seems like it would make contact even if you lean back in the chair a little. Because our living room is not terribly large and adjoins the dining room, I'm hoping to pull these chairs over for extra seating if needed. I've sat on some Parsons chairs that were straight up and down in the back and seemed quite rigid.

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure that is the Grayson chair from Pottery Barn. I wanted them for my kitchen, but couldn't pull the trigger.

Beth P.

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your response Beth. I looked at the Grayson chair but it doesn't have the rolled detail on the upper back or the curve along the bottom edge leading to the back legs. Unless they redesigned the Grayson chair lately, this seems like a different model.

I'd mostly like to identify this chair so I can read some reviews. Anyone else recognize the chair?

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Here is a site that shows the pictures of that chair, I'm sure if you seach the site you'll find the name. It could be the Grayson as I saw them on this site and they did have the arched back.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB chair

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Those are really pretty chairs-love the shape.

Also, sent you an email about some I have that are similar, but not exact, just in case you are near me.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Am reposting this (not sure what happened): They are not Greyson chairs (which I personally find uncomfortable). Email the PB design services at PotteryBarnDesignServices@wsgc.com with a picture. They will respond very quickly and should be able to identify the chair.

• User
    12 years ago

Those are not Grayson chairs...... although a lot of the details look similar (it's the little turned detail on the top that gives the chair a different style.) I don't recognize that chair from PB, so it isn't from the last few years (unless my memory is giving out ;)) I tried googling it for you, but couldn't find it.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Whatever the chair, it looks and sounds like an excellent deal. Given it's on their website and a set of 8, I would not hesitate too long, but get over to look at them and see if they are comfortable to sit in. I don't think you'll find so many deals like that for nearly new chairs at 1/3 the price in the store. Other thought is perhaps they are under the name of Williams Sonoma? I have a set of PB chairs in my office which I bought used, even though they are on the PB website, the sticker on the bottom of the chairs reads William Sonoma. I would think the consignment store could check for stickers on these chairs as mine have the name and ID number on the bottom.

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks nosoccermom! I didn't know that service existing. I'm putting together an email to Pottery Barn right now. What do you dislike about the Grayson chair? Does "my" chair look like it would be any different?

Since it's such a good deal, the store is over two hours away, and there is another party interested, I'm thinking of just buying them sight-unseen. Worst case, they aren't very comfortable and I resell them. The color in the photo and from talking to the staff is just right. And I don't have paint or fabrics for the dining room yet, so I can work with the chairs as needed.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

I found the Grayson chairs too upright toward the upper back and no lower back support, almost like it made you sit hunched forward(so maybe that's why these chairs slope towards the back. Is there a way to verify that they are indeed leather and not bonded or, worse, pleather'?

• addyson_anders
    12 years ago

That chair is BEAUTIFUL!!

FYI, the Pottery Barn site says the Greyson chairs are 'Upholstered in the finest-quality top-grain or bicast leather', which is VERY deceiving. If you Google 'Bicast Leather', you will find that Bicast Leather is not even made of real leather at all, it is just a 'leather by-product.' (For more info, check the link below this post.) There is no way I would pay that much money for chairs that are leather 'knock-offs'.

Here are some really pretty alternatives, in my opinion:

HOME DECORATORS COLLECTIONS ('Coffee')

OVERSTOCK (Brushed Butternut)

AMAZON (Terracotta)

Good luck finding what you are looking for!!

~ Addy

Here is a link that might be useful: BICAST LEATHER

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the links Addyson. I'll have to check them out.

I emailed the PB design services as recommended and received this helpful response:

"Thank you for contacting Pottery Barn's complimentary Design Services. I�ve gone back through our 2005-present Pottery Barn catalogs that we have in our archive. I couldn�t find a chair that matches this, especially the curve towards the back leg. Unfortunately, we don�t carry any catalogs prior to 2005 so I have no way of knowing if it is an older style."

That concerns me a bit as the owner told the consignment store that these were PB chairs that had never been sat on. If they are PB, 6-7 years seems a bit long to never use them. If not PB, I would want to know the brand and quality before I purchase sight-unseen.

If these aren't PB, can anyone point me in the right direction? The color and leather transition curving to the back is quite unusual, so I was hoping they were recognizable.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

The first link by addyson_anders to Home Decorator, http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=0238500&aid=nxtg looks very similar to the pic of the chair you posted.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

the chair you pictured looks like nicer quality than the home decorators chair linked above...

honestly, we have hardly used our dining room furniture in the past 10 years...it's really sad, but we probably have only sat on them 8-10 times at the very most in 10 yrs...so, i don't think it is totally impossible that they could be older and 'never used'...some people just don't use their formal dining rooms that often.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

pic from addyson's first link & yours side by side:

They look really close, except for the scoop under the seat. Yours looks more scooped to me.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

that would be "arched", not scooped *rolleyes*

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the chair is similar but the arch is different and the seam along the side of the chair where the back meets the seat (just above the back legs on the side) is different. I've done a little upholstery and that detail on "my" chair seems like a slightly higher quality construction.

I think I'm more concerned now because DH just took me to a very nice restaurant (for our 10th anniversary!) that had leather Parsons chairs. They were so uncomfortable! I've rarely sat on a chair more unpleasant. I really wanted to find some reviews of "my" chair to see what people said about comfort and quality, but it doesn't seem as though that's an option.

If there is no label on these chairs, is it possible they are still PB? Does PB not put a label on all their pieces? Where might a manufacturer hide their label on an upholstered chair?

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

I have a PB console, and it did not come with a label or any other indication that it is PB. I really think you have to sit on the chairs to see if you find them comfortable. Can you ask the store to put them on hold and just take the 2-hour drive?

• mclarke
    12 years ago

...the owner told the consignment store that these were PB chairs that had never been sat on...

No doubt this is the story that the owner of the chair told the owner of the store. Sounds like a game of telephone to me, LOL...

They don't look particularly comfortable.

Is there anything printed on the bottom of the chair?

• User
    12 years ago

I definitely think you need to go see these in person. They appear to be decent quality in terms of construction (the seams look many times better than the red example.) They don't appear to be 'cheap'.... but who knows about comfort until you sit on them.

My PB furniture doesn't say PB on the pieces. My office chair (Calais, I think,) has a paper sticker with a barcode from PB, but that could fall off in a second. There is a stitched-on label with "date of delivery" .... yours might have that, but might not.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Was just flipping through a Grandinroad catalogue. Looks like your chair!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandinroad chair

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YES! Thank you Cyn427, so much. Those looks exactly right! And it makes sense as the owner apparently bought them for a conference room and never used them. Grandin Road calls them "leather desk chairs" and "indoor office chairs", so that fits perfectly with her intended purpose. Most reviewers used them in the dining room (which is my plan) and they all remark on the incredible comfort. I am now happily wiling to take the (small) risk and buy them.

Thank you again Cyn! I knew the GardenWeb community could do it ;-)

• equest17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to follow up and say I bought the chairs and picked them up today. They are wonderfully comfortable and just the right color with my quartersawn heartpine floors! I ended up buying just six, as DH really likes a captain style chair with arms for his dining chair. So now I just need to find two complimentary chairs for the head and foot, and of course a table! Thanks for all the help; I might not have had the courage to buy them otherwise.

• Kristine Teranishi
    7 months ago

Sorry to say that chair is not from pottery barn. Or its another version of the grayson chair. I have them & love them. Ask to see the bottom of the chair. It should have a potter barn tag visible.