SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Why does rose planting season have to coincide with bulb season?

Of course I'm mostly kidding about this "gripe" - spring is planting season so that roses can survive our long winters, and I can't do without bulbs every possible square inch I can plant them, so I make my own problem. Still, particularly with the bare-root roses in April, I really had to do the Karate Kid stork position all over my garden beds to trample the bulbs as little as possible and still dig big enough holes for the bare roots.

See what I mean - here's my full sun backyard a few weeks ago when the daffodils and tulips actually coincided for once because of a long cool spring. I mean, you wouldn't believe there was room in this shot for the maybe 150 roses I already have in this bed, much less the 75 or so that will be going in this bed throughout the spring, right?

But, where there's a will, there's a way. Here are a few of the bare root spots getting ready for roses, and there is at least an arguable bare spot for each to work with. Even if not, the bulbs don't mind that much being dug up a little if
they can get planted back soon, but the blooms definitely sulk if you do
that. However, all the silver tags are already existing roses that are just barely up, and it requires a lot of visualization skill to see if these will actually play nicely together or not. Er, not to mention the other perennials and self-seeded annuals that have yet to show their heads either.

By now in mid-May, the bulb blooms are all gone except for the big Allium blooms, and we're into peony, iris, and columbine season before the roses really kick in in early June. Still, the bulb foliage has to hang around until it fades or we sacrifice blooms for next year, so it's still a matter of peering around droopy foliage to see if this is an actual bare spot to plant or not. Many of the existing roses are still no taller than the bulb foliage even in May, so there's hide and seek going on all planting season to cram in as many roses (and bulbs) as possible.
Not that I'm really complaining of course, but you can see why there is a section in my "roses that died" records for ones I accidentally stepped on. My own fault, I know, since I'm a rose chaos "more is better" gardener. Still, I figure equally obsessed GW folks might be able to dredge up a little understanding of my plight (fake sympathy is perfectly fine).
Cynthia

Comments (14)