SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Is it possible to get a rose to start blooming earlier in rose season?

User
4 years ago

Rosengarten Zweibrucken is a fantastic rose, with that deep, purple colour that is so rare. However, in my garden it only begins to bloom rather late in rose season-end of May, early June.I would SO love it if I could get this rose to begin it's main flush earlier, during "main rose season",because I really "need" more of that colour in the orchestration of my garden. Also, here in Italy the weather gets so bad in summer- usually once june arrives it's just unpleasent to be outdoors,what with heat, humidity,blistering sun, and bugs,so I'd love to be able to tweak this rose around and encorage it to start sooner, but don't know if this is possible. However, I keep on thinking about my "Heidetraum/Pink Flower Carpet/ Emera" thread. One poster confirmed that this rose just starts late, it's not my conditions or anything. But Jackie, in California,had a very different experience apparently, saying hers blooms almost constantly, starting early, etc. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5729203/emera-aka-heidetraum-aka-flower-carpet-pink#n=6 However, she stated that she basically gets no real winter in her area. So, I was wondering: what if I winter-protected RZ, to trick it into thinking the temperatures were a bit higher during the winter months? Here in Tuscany, we do get snow, and it does go below freezing, but usually not for very long; i think of our winters as usually presenting a "cold event" but no more. So, yes, there's enough chill for tulips, etc-but with winter protection, could it make a difference in when a rose begins bloom? I have noticed, both on RZ and Emera, that, very early in rose season, they'll put out 1 or 2 blooms...

Another thing-what about pruning? If I were to prune off the later flowers on RZ-and keep removing any ones that keep on coming- might that encourage it to start it's main flush earlier?

Please, any thoughts or comments are welcome!

Comments (15)