SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethsarahd

the season hasn't even started yet! (rose canker on 3 plants)

Elizabeth Dinner
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

As I write this, my chest feels heavy and I'm trying not to be overly dramatic. It's hard though, because I love each of my plants almost as much as I love my son. Is that crazy? I've got 2 floribundas (I think, just got them last year and don't remember since I was much less knowledgeable than I am today) and 1 nice size knockout bush (reaching about 3 to 4' wide and tall) covered in cankers. Being new to roses and being so lax about everything, I'm gonna go ahead and blame myself for the spread of this awful disease. I never clean my shears between plants (and even more so, never between cuts) and went about my spring cleanup making well thought out cuts...deadheading, removing dead wood and 2 year old canes, etc. To be very honest, I don't know if these spots just came out or were there last year or even 2 weeks ago. I just happened to notice it a few days ago and the more I read about it, the worse my plants look! They're looking worse everyday. I only have photos of the one plant that I first noticed it on, but it looks the same on all 3. They're all blooming nicely (particularly the knockout) and wondering if it's always as serious as I'm reading, or if some plants just "figure it out." Literally every cane left on all 3 plants are covered top to bottom with this purple and red canes. I'd literally have to cut them to the ground to remove the diseased canes. The knockout I checked on today has purple canes covered in spots all over. I'm extra worried because I have a few victorian roses near the floras and a drift rose bush near the KO which all look perfectly healthy and zero spots and i'm scared they'll catch it. Is it only transferred by cuts? What do I do about the other 3 sick ones? I've read about cutting them to the ground. I'm in over my head with 3 climbers on their way next month which is a whole new ballgame for me. I want to runaway or just cry. What do I do? (sorry for the drama) Maybe I'm not meant to have roses.

Comments (20)