SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Reflecting on my rose season so far

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

When I look at my roses and see which ones are doing the best, I should probably narrow down the varieties I keep. Most of my Kordes roses are keepers, a couple I have doubts about though. Multiflora rootstock seems to be the key to some being good ones here. Pope John Paul II is one for sure if the first season is any indication. My Dr. Huey one has been a disappointment, my multiflora one has been amazing. When it comes to reds, I know Liebeszauber is a good one for me, so it’s definitely a keeper! Munstead Wood seems to be getting a good start, even though I haven’t been as excited about my blooms as others I’ve seen, hopefully, they’ll improve in the looks department! I’ve been very pleased with Oklahoma, can’t wait for cooler weather to see some blooms with more petals. There are a few newly planted ones that seemed to get a good start, but then kind of slowed down or got defoliated because of disease. Neil Diamond started out with a real vigor for a newly planted rose, and produced the most gorgeous fully petaled and wonderfully fragrant blooms. Now it seems to be bouncing back and is setting on several blooms right now, so I’m hopeful. Maybe the 20 inches of rain we had in May has had something to do with the issues I’ve had this year, I thought most of my roses got a good start early In the season, but it’s been a mixed bag. I planted several own root hybrid teas in pots this year, they’ve gotten a slow start, but most of them seem to be coming along right now. I planted an own root Quietness rose in the ground that’s had a few blooms, and seems to be doing pretty good, hopefully it will.

I won’t say I’m disappointed (well, maybe a little) with this rose season, but I would like to have a year where I have a nearly perfect spring season, with lots of blooms all season long! Is that expecting too much? Probably, where I live it is! Even though I’ve had some pretty good seasons in recent years. I know I’ll keep trying different roses and growing them as long as I’m able. Even with the frustrations, I still love it!

A few roses that have made me smile at some point this year.

ZAIDE

AUGUSTE RENOIR

QUICKSILVER

POPE JOHN PAUL II

ORCHID ROMANCE

DREAM COME TRUE

NEIL DIAMOND

DARK DESIRE

POSEIDON

BEVERLY

SAVANNAH

MYSTIC BEAUTY