SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

encouraging a rose to begin blooming earlier in the season

bart bart
2 years ago

"Rosengarten Zweibrucken", aka "Indigo Knights" is a healthy climber with a beautiful colour. It's only defect (for me) is that it only begins to bloom rather late in the season, when most of the others are done; more or less when Super Dorothy starts. This is NOT a virtue in my eyes,because by that time (about mid-June) it's just too hot to enjoy being outdoors - besides, I'd love to have that particular colour complimenting the colours of the earlier bloomers. So I wound up digging up one of my RZs and moving it (it was blocking the view of it's earlier-blooming neighbours) ,but it had produced an own-root cane . I potted it up, it grew enthusiastically, and is now becoming a bona-fide climber.

Today I noticed what look to me to be 2 tiny flower buds on this plant. This surprises me; the other roses in my pot garden/ghetto are just getting ready to bloom; the only one with some open flowers is the early-blooming Empress of China. I am wondering why this RZ would start setting buds so much earlier in the season than do the ones I have growing out at my land. The main thing that comes to mind is that this one does get watered regularly, since it's in a pot, whereas the garden ones have to get by on rain water (as do all of my roses once established). Can anyone comment on this? Have any of you had a similar experience with a late-blooming rose?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!