May Monthly Reading Thread
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (110)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
After reading the True to Seed thread..
Comments (6)Well, you have some sort of interesting hybrid, Jim. Keep pruning the height down to promote more branching at lower nodes so you don't have such a tall and top heavy tree. And, you'll have to tell us if the fruit is edible or tastes worthy of keeping. Looks very interesting, and many of the beloved citrus varieties we enjoy today were the result of a chance seedling. For those monoembryionic citrus, you can get all kinds of interesting crosses. Let us know how the fruits taste once you think they're ripe! Patty S....See MoreRead past threads but still confused about Xenon vs LED lights
Comments (16)Annab6. Mine are open fixtures. Each lamp is rated at 10 watts. The lamp holders attach to a flexible cable and can be spaced as close together or as far apart as you like. Mine are at 6" intervals. The light projected is very even across the countertop. It is not super brilliant, but more than sufficient to evenly illuminate the countertop that would otherwise be shadowed by the upper cabinets. The light is a very pleasant and natural incandescent white color. Excess heat is not something that I've ever had cause to think about. They simply don't give off much heat. The xenon lamps are also dimmable. I have the under-cabinet lights switched on more than any other lighting in the kitchen. As soon as the sun goes down, the under-cabinet lights go on. When I'm cooking, I also turn on the recessed halogen fixtures that are mounted in the ceiling over the countertops. When I'm done working, the ceiling fixtures usually get dimmed or turned off, but the under-cabinet lights remain on. They remain on until I'm turning out all of the lights in the house at bedtime. You can see an image of the lamps and fixtures that I have in the link below. Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Gull Linear xenon lamp & fixture...See MoreWhat are we reading? (new thread)
Comments (306)For anyone who may be confused, this seems to be the reissue of the original novel which was titled Smilla's Sense of Snow (not Miss Smilla's feeling for Snow). I LOVED this book, not a light or cheerful read but incredibly atmospheric and the heroine was rather a forerunner of Lisbeth Salander. I just read The Girl on the Train as a book club selection, really liked it more than I thought I would. It probably helped that I had a day off from work and spent most of the day just inhaling the book :). The plot was twisty enough that I am glad I had time to stay absorbed in reading on and on and on. While I'm here, one of the nonfiction books I recently enjoyed tremendously just won the Pulitzer! Barbarian Days is nominally about surfing but it is so beautifully written, and the arc of the author's life from childhood through young manhood to becoming a husband, father and noted New Yorker writer was quite fascinating....See MoreI've read so many threads about drawer depths and can use perspective
Comments (18)Drawer Essentials, that second pic makes my heart pitter-patter with organizing love! I've measured what I have available, but need to look at those odd tools like ladles. A fair number of my kitchen things are in storage but I do have my most, and moderate, use items. OK, I'm armed with a list of things to stuff into the display drawers! They're 36" wide drawer stacks on that wall so there should be plenty of room...I hope. I've been saving a lot of vertical storage pics these last few weeks, so that's definitely on my mind. As far as what and where, it's a work in progress. I forget what I have because so much is packed away. Pantry - canned and dried goods, quick breakfast and lunch foods, items waiting to go into point of use rotation, basic food storage needs, ziplock bags, DH will have a junk bin somewhere in this area unless I can figure out an option in the laundry room. Bulk flours/sugars/etc. Baking area - Measuring tools, scoops/spoons, mixer accessories, sifter, wax paper, cling-wrap (may be in secondary prep), pie plates, baking tins. Sink - colanders Trash/recycling. We compost but I've realized that it needs to be taken out after prep or they let it sit. Prep - knives, can opener, graters, other prep utensils, towels, bowls, mortars and pestles, food processor, blender, casserole dishes stored vertically (or big pots) depending on room. Cook - spatulas, spoons, ladles, etc., saucepans, skillets and sauté pans, vertically if possible. Secondary prep/oven area - towels, oven mitts, foil, parchment paper, accessories for oven and TO on counter, thermometers, tupperware type containers. Deep drawer will be for large pots (or casserole dishes). I'll have to work in there before I know how I really want the large drawers arranged. Above oven - sheets pans, cooling racks, oven racks Below oven - other bakeware or grilling items Pullout for broom, mop, Swiffer, paper towels, cleansers. I'm still pondering how to utilize it well. I need something there for my side-opening oven clearance. Cleanup zone is opposite and there are drawers and cabinets for silverware, dishes, glasses. Fridge wall is ~60" and perpendicular to the work zones. Between the dining room and next to the fridge I have an 18" drawer stack for coffee/tea items, cups, travel mugs (tall!), shelves for cookbooks, above, and a squat upper cab for vertical platter storage. Cabinet above fridge - infrequent use items I'm remembering more tall things during this exercise. And, I'm feeling overwhelmed and have to take a break! I'll read about someone else's indecisiveness/conundrums for a while, LOL....See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEA Month-by-Month Guide to ‘Downton Abbey’ Withdrawal
Missing Lady Grantham’s zingers? Edith’s furrowed brow? Romance simmering downstairs? Here’s help to get you through until season 6
Full Story
RUGSCool Threads: Shag Rugs Stage a Comeback
See Why You May Want to Sink Your Toes Into Some Deep-Pile Carpet Again
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNUnify Your Garden With a Common Thread
Bring the areas of your garden together to give it a unique sense of place
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSpring Citrus Care Reaps Months of Sweet Rewards
Learn how to tend citrus trees in spring and ways to preserve their delicious fruit
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: 10 Ideas for a Buy-Less Month
Save money without feeling pinched by taking advantage of free resources and your own ingenuity
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN15 Farmhouse Kitchens That Made Us Swoon This Month
Raw wood, natural light, shiplap siding — we just couldn’t get enough of these farmhouse-style kitchens uploaded to Houzz in January
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSoutheast Gardener's May Checklist
Bask in the blooms and mind your mulch this month; summer means lots to savor and lots to do in the garden
Full Story
LIFEMay Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Sweep into wonderful weather by prepping your home for outdoor pleasures and giving accumulated muck the boot
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES10 Features That May Be Missing From Your Plan
Pay attention to the details on these items to get exactly what you want while staying within budget
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDon't Touch Another Stain Before You Read This
Even an innocent swipe with water may cause permanent damage. Here's what to know about how rugs and fabrics react
Full StorySponsored

annpanagain