carolyn_ky

May Monthly Reading Thread

carolyn_ky
9 years ago

I read The Siege Winter this week, begun by Ariana Franklin
before her death and finished by her daughter, Samantha Norman. I
really liked it, set in 1140 during the Stephen-Matilda war "when Christ
and His saints slept."

Yesterday I read Only the Innocent by Rachel Abbott and stayed up late because I couldn't bear not to finish it. Has one of those horrible characters you love to hate.

Comments (110)

• georgia_peach
    8 years ago

I remember the Poldark series. I read the first three books a few years ago when Amazon was running a special on the price of the first one. For the longest time the books beyond book three were not digitized, so I had to track down books four through seven and read them late last year. Wonderful series!

I also watched a season or so of the original Poldark series when it was still available for streaming on Netflix. I think the new adaptation will air here in the US in June, and I thought PBS had plans to re-run the original series. It sounds like the new adaptation is renewing interest in the series.

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I looked up the casting for the new Poldark -- Aiden Turner is in the lead role -- forgive me, but I totally understand the swooning fans now. He was last seen as Kili in The Hobbit movie. Hmmm, I may have to check out Poldark ...

• Related Discussions

How much of a thread do you actually read before you respond?

Q

Comments (23)
    I do read everyone's responses before posting my own. How many postings have we seen where in the middle of the responses there is "I didn't have time to read everyone else's answers, but I think the solutions is to [whatever]," when somebody up higher has already suggested that. To me, it's just disrespectful. Think about it this way: We are having conversations here. Now picture yourself out to lunch with a handful of friends, trading opinions. But you are zoning out, thinking about your grocery list, checking out the dessert at the next table. Then you make a contribution to the conversation--the same contribution that one of your friends made 10 minutes earlier. What you've basically done is tell that friend that she wasn't worth your time to listen to, that you really don't value that person. Now I know many of you wouldn't do that in person, yet we do it on these boards, just because it's a "virtual" acquaintance? (I'm sure there've been studies into the things we dare say to online acquaintances but would never, ever say to someone's face.) (And I think everybody is strapped for time, so that's really not an excuse, IMHO.) I think it's slightly different if someone here has posted a question asking if she should rip out her powder room's tile floor (just an example! OP of that, don't get upset!)--then she's really looking to see how the yes/no votes stack up.
    ...See More

Just read the old RSVP thread...

Q

Comments (2)
    It's a great idea to actually plan an event for your daughter that she will enjoy, which involves your family. Inviting people to a party who can't be bothered to RSVP only sends the signal they don't care about her. It's always been my feeling that parties are more fun if you invite people you know and care about. (I can't tell you how many times an evening was ruined by someone who thought it was all about them, instead of the guest of honor.) We don't have parties any more; like you, we go places and create memories that way.
    ...See More

Time for another "what are you reading?" thread.

Q

Comments (23)
    Chisue - Thank you for your comments. I thought that the book had a very optimistic and hopeful ending. Both Harold and Maureen Fry acknowledged, confronted and dealt with some difficulties in each of their pasts. Because they did this, they were liberated from them and not imprisoned any more. This set them free for new beginnings. One result is that Harold and Maureen will have a richer relationship. An example is that since Maureen realizes she values Harold in her life and can talk to him, she won't need to only have conversations with their deceased son any more. After all, he is gone, sad but the truth of this has to be accepted. Formerly she treated her husband in quite a dismissive way. See the review of this book I did for Book of the Week - click on the link. Please let me know what you think. Here is a link that might be useful: Book review: The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry
    ...See More

What are we reading? (new thread)

Q

Comments (306)
    For anyone who may be confused, this seems to be the reissue of the original novel which was titled Smilla's Sense of Snow (not Miss Smilla's feeling for Snow). I LOVED this book, not a light or cheerful read but incredibly atmospheric and the heroine was rather a forerunner of Lisbeth Salander. I just read The Girl on the Train as a book club selection, really liked it more than I thought I would. It probably helped that I had a day off from work and spent most of the day just inhaling the book :). The plot was twisty enough that I am glad I had time to stay absorbed in reading on and on and on. While I'm here, one of the nonfiction books I recently enjoyed tremendously just won the Pulitzer! Barbarian Days is nominally about surfing but it is so beautifully written, and the arc of the author's life from childhood through young manhood to becoming a husband, father and noted New Yorker writer was quite fascinating.
    ...See More
  • friedag
    8 years ago

Hmm, no instant appeal for me. I'm not even sure I would have liked Mr. Turner's looks in my shaggy hippie days.

I did like the lead actor in the 40-year-old TV series, though. Actually, I think I was most enamored with the scenery in that series. And I liked Winston Graham's books but I don't think I ever read all of them.

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Lots of wild Cornish scenery Frieda, with waves crashing on the shore, horsemen riding too near the edge of high cliffs, tin mines, wenches, gentry, cads, bounders . .. it's got it all. And after the earlier series quite a few baby boys were names Ross after the hero. ;-)

nb Several bodices were ripped during this production but in a caring non-sexist sort of way.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

For Sheri . . . see above

I remember you enjoyed reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell . . . a book about magicians (which I tried to enjoy but failed) It is just being broadcast by BBC TV in seven episodes with some clever camera work. I expect it will be with you soon.

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago

Oooooh, thank you, Vee! It starts in June on BBC America and I can't wait to see what they do with it. I read it so long ago now that I feel I need a refresher, but I cannot possibly re-read in time. I will enjoy the series and then perhaps go back -- it's a doorstop of a book, almost 800 pages, and dense with footnotes (which tell an entire story in and of themselves), so not something to undertake lightly ;)

I was also excited to see that Lev Grossman's The Magicians series is also being made into a TV series, but it's not expected until sometime in 2016. As it's being produced by the SyFy network (sort of the antithesis of the BBC I'm afraid), I am more than a bit concerned it will be awful, but at the moment, I'm hopeful.

Frieda, re: Aiden Turner -- one of my sisters (and we're all old enough to be his mother) constantly referred to him as "the hot dwarf" through all three Hobbit movies.

• carolyn_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I watched the original Poldark series on Masterpiece Theater and find the new Poldark not as appealing. Something to do with my own age, perhaps? Wolf Hall finished a week ago, and I miss it. Really liked it a lot.

• bookmom41
    8 years ago

Oh Poldark. A friend of mine "taped" the entire series of Poldark shows and twisted my arm to get me to watch them. I didn't think I'd be interested... and instead loved it. Then I read all twelve or thirteen of the Winston Graham books, (thank you Denver Public Library) and by the end, I was having Poldark dreams in which I was Demelza. I never particularly found "old" Ross cute, but that new one looks a little feral.
    I just finished a legal thriller by Attica Locke, Pleasantville. It is the second of her novels featuring Jay Porter, an African-American trial lawyer in Texas. Porter is manipulated into defending a campaign manager accused of murder but who may be a pawn in a hotly contested mayoral election. Texas politics, some AA history, a twisty plot and a likable cast of characters make me hope Locke continues this series. Locke is a writer for the Empire tv series; never seen it myself.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Wow! I've been away for a bit...

First, some commentary regarding the above:

*Friedag - Thanks for the clarification regarding Georgian vs. Regency; I've never known the exact difference! Personally, my favorite production of P&P was the Keira Knightley/Matthew Macfadyen version!

*Malna - I just picked up Susan Albert's, Thyme of Death from the library but probably won't start for awhile, as my pile is swamped.

*As for Poldark, my husband and I watched two seasons, as I recall, of the original production. I don't think we could get any more. Did they film more than two seasons? We liked the first one best. But based on the above comments, perhaps we'll have to check it out the remake!

*Annpanagain - I agree! I thought Gwyneth Paltrow made a great Emma!

*Finished The Husband's Secret. I thought it was wonderful, but my book club's reaction was luke-warm. I have decided (not for that reason) to quit them! I tried reading 3 books with them, but it's hard to jump into a group in the middle of the year. Too many personalities, too much drama! I'll rely on you guys instead!

*Have moved onto Anne Perry's WWI series. Enjoying it so far!

Happy reading!

Michelle

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I can recall being addicted to the old Poldark series on Masterpiece Theatre.

I've just finished Jean Sasson's "Princess: A True Store of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia." It certainly got my attention, and I found certain details of that culture shocking. There are two other books in that series about the same woman.

• sherwood38
    8 years ago

Vee,, I loved the old Poldark series, but not sure I will watch a remake, they always disappoint me. I particularly disliked the remake of Vanity Fair with an American actress also the remake of Emma with Paltrow, an actress that is full of herself and I do not-obviously care for.....my point being that they ruin what is a classic!

As for the Jonathon Strange series, I will give it a try-although many years ago here-anyone remember ?? it was recommended and highly praised, although I cannot remember who....anyway I bought the book and tried several times to read it and it always ended back on the bookshelf, so after trying to get into several times I finally donated it to the library.

I have barely started reading The Jury Master by ?Robert Dugonii.

Pat

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

Sherwood, I thought that Reese was charming in Vanity Fair and liked Gwyneth too. Even if I don't like all versions of the classics, the costumes and scenery are worth checking out! Usually a lot of work has gone into them.
    I read that the church was beautifully styled for the last TV P&P but was never shown! How disappointing for the set decorators.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree, annpanagain!

• bigdogstwo
    8 years ago

For book club, I am about to start reading The Martian by Andy Weir. It is about an astronaut left behind on Mars when his mission mates believe him to be dead. Now he has to figure out a way to survive and get back to Earth - and no one on Earth thinks he needs to be rescued.

PAM

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

Vee, have you seen the latest Mapp and Lucia TV series?
    We shall be getting it soon and I see it has mixed reviews.
    From the Wiki summary it seems to have the most of the interesting stories from various books in the three episodes.
    I have the DVDs of the 1984 series and the books so will be watching critically...

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Ann, I loved the recent Mapp and Lucia series, which was shown here after Christmas. The got the '30's feel and the bitchiness between all those pretentious arty folk just right. There were some good exterior shots of Rye (which doubled as 'Tilling') and Romney Marsh.

Mapp and Lucia

I have never got round to reading the books; must make amends.

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago

I finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry and thought it was wonderful. Once I got going I couldn't put it down. It's a story about a bookseller with a small store on a Nantucket-like island whose wife dies unexpectedly in a car accident and how he re-engages with the world. It's full of book talk and literary references, and each chapter starts with his comments on a different short story. I loved it and plan to read it a second time before my book group meets next week to discuss. Recommended!

PAM, I thought The Martian was fantastic. The science was explained so well that I never felt lost or talked-down-to or abjectly confused (which I was expecting). I also really, really liked the main character's personality and sense of humor. There's a movie in the works now, too.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

I've been watched the Miss Fisher TV series on Acorn and fell in love. I've read the first three books, and enjoyed them a lot.

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I'm currently engrossed in Joanna Rakoff's "My Salinger Year." This young novelist is brilliant in illuminating the pre-computer Nineties society of the publishing world of New York City. It has piqued my interest in the reclusive author J.D. Salinger.

• carolyn_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I liked A. J. Fickrey too, Sheri. Picked up Who Buries the Dead by C. S. Harris at the library this afternoon. I've been on the waiting list since March.

• bookmom41
    8 years ago

I, too, thought AJ Fikry was terrific--charming, witty, literary. It reminded me of stories like Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. Now I'm reading the opposite--Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo. It's a stand-alone, not part of his detective series (of which I've read all.) At least I'm trying to read it; my kindle keeps acting up and I'm hoping I don't need a new one. That's one advantage the print format has over an ereader, although I guess books can wear out and need replacement, too.
    Also on my kindle is The Martian but I may not get to it before the loan (library ebook) is up. Too bad because the reserve list is still long. I tried giving both The Martian and All the Light We Cannot See as Christmas gifts and could not since my local stores were sold out.

• friedag
    8 years ago

Gee, I wish I had the time and attention-span to watch all the interesting-sounding television programs and movies Vee, Annpan, cacocobird, and others have mentioned. But I can't keep up with you all. Sigh. I sit down with every intention to watch something, but flickering images make my brain restless and after a few minutes all I can think about is finding a book to read -- a real one, not an electronic one. Years ago I enjoyed films and some television but the older I get the less patience I have with those media ... or maybe I've just got more discriminating. Yeah, that's it. Discriminating is better than scatterbrained! ;-)

I'm reading The Search for Modern China by Jonathan D. Spence in my continuing effort to catch up on Sinology. China is so old that 'modern' begins circa A.D. 1600! I am about a quarter way into this book and haven't reached the 18th century yet.

• vee_new
    8 years ago

I wonder if the boxed-set habit of watching seemingly endless hours of a particular series is to blame for TV overload?
    In the UK papers we read of film/TV 'buffs' who claim to sit down with a bottle of wine for an evening of 'Breaking Bad' or 'The West Wing'. I would go bananas if forced to watch a play/film in this way . . . plus I find the modern habit of swilling down cheap wine greatly overrated . . .
    I prefer to watch a good-quality TV play/series as they appear in the schedule, usually for one hour per week and, if shown on the BBC, with no advert breaks!
    Frieda, are you able to watch for one hour (and walk about during the ads) without becoming distracted? For someone who's favourite movie was 'Dr Dhivago' you must have had considerable staying power way back then . . .!

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Have just finished The Dig by John Preston. The story, written as a novel, of the archaeological discovery of the famous Anglo Saxon ship-burial at Sutton Hoo in sleepy Suffolk, East Anglia, just before the outbreak of war in 1939.
    Preston recounts this through the eyes of the different participants, from the land-owner, to the amateur archaeologists and the dreadful petty officials who vie for importance and try and take control.
    Amazing what was found with no modern technology and little more than garden trowels and pastry brushes as tools.

Sutton Hoo

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

I can't watch TV or DVDs for long. I get stiff from sitting so don't go to a theatre even when I had a ticket given me for a show! Old Age is a curse. (Although sometimes it works for me!)
    I like to watch for a while then have a stretch and break to make a cuppa and a snack. If a live program, I can record it and play it in the catch up mode later. By the time the ads are skipped it isn't that long before you are back to broadcast time anyway!

I picked up a book from the Quick Picks section at the library. The staff select things of general interest for those who have no time to browse or in my case the two hourly bus to catch.
    It is "Without a Trace" by Lesley Pearse. Set in 1953 UK it is about a murder and a possible child abduction. I liked it at first, a few words were out of context which as I lived at that time were annoying but it went on a bit!
    I like a story to have a good pace. Four hundred pages is about 100 too many!

• friedag
    8 years ago

Vee, yes, my staying power has dwindled to just minutes. At one time I could sit through such epics as Doctor Zhivago, Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Ten Commandments. I think most of those films have intermissions, however. I might be able to watch a whole hour of television once a week if I was interested enough, but watching for more than an hour a day, program after program, as many TV-viewers do, is beyond my capacity. Wine wouldn't help me -- mainly because I never cultivated my palate to like it or any other alcohol.

Television scheduling is a problem for me. I won't fill my schedule to fit that of a network channel. I refuse to be a 'slave' to television. So I have to rely on DVDs or a DVR, and even with those I have trouble taking the time to watch.

Why was the Sutton Hoo book fictionalized? Concerns about libel, (from those 'dreadful officials'), maybe? Does that mean the land-owner's name in the book is not Mrs Pretty? If so that's a pity, since Pretty is such a wonderful name!

• blue_jean_baby
    8 years ago

bookmom41, I loved Major Pettigrew and Mr. Penumbra so The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is on the list I compiled by reading this thread.

Also noted Siege Winter, the Anne Perry WW I series, Simon Garfield's non-fic, Attica Locke and the Elizabeth Duncan series

And I saved the new Poldark series to my Netflix queue. I would try to read the books but my library only has the last one (Bella) and the next county over has a few more.....maybe they will be reprinted soon as a tie-in to the show and we can purchase the whole set then!

As for my May reads - (four re-reads, the rest first time) first time) Running Blind by Lee Child, The Potter's Field by Ellis Peters, The Poyson Garden by Karen Harper, Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill, The Sky-Liners by Louis L'Amour, In Montgomery and Other Poems by Gwendolyn Brooks, The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook edited by Kate White, Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews, Retreat, Hell! by W.E.B. Griffin, Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne, and Murder at the Hobcaw Barony by Elliot Roosevelt.

I just started Queen's Gambit (recommended in anther thread here at RP).

My car isn't running at the moment, so now that I ride and wait for the bus about 4 hours a day my reading time has gone up quite a bit. I don't usually get through that many books!

Dawn

• vee_new
    8 years ago

Dawn, an impressive list of bus-stop reading!

Frieda, as far as I know the people connected with 'The Dig' retain their true names. He did apparently change one or two facts. It appears that in 'real-time' the excavations started in 1938 and carried on the next year, until war was declared in early Sept. I imagine Preston wanted the story to run more smoothly without a winter break. I don't think it detracts from what took place, though as novels go it is short on bulk.
    Re Mrs Pretty. I had wondered if her name was pronounced as 'pretty' ie attractive, or as I would hear the French word 'pret' as in 'pret a manger' (there should be some accents in there!). I don't know, the pronouncation of names is so very personal.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

I, too, find myself sighing when I peruse the list of books all of you are reading! I am skipping around a bit between various historical mysteries, including some of the Phryne Fisher series (cacocobird). AJ Firky and Mr. Penumbra have been on my list for awhile, so thanks for the re-confirmation. I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew. And thanks for the recommendation of The Martian and The Dig - both sound great.

I have to admit that my husband and I prefer watching series from the DVD box set as we can get in a couple of episodes per night that way. We need a few episodes to really get into whatever we're watching by the time we're interrupted fifty times by kids wandering out of bed, or coming home from being out, or needing a glass of water, or forgetting to do the book report that they suddenly remembered is due the next day, or the dog needing to be let out, etc.! You get the picture...

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

I watched Mapp and Lucia this evening, foregoing the Eurovision Final (which I have recorded so that I can skip the songs I have already seen in the Semi-Finals!) and found it was charming and such a good re-creation of the books.
    The review I read was so negative, I am glad I asked for your opinion! Although the casting of both series is good, I think there is more of the Tilling atmosphere in this one. More sense of bustle and other inhabitants.
    I made sure to visit Rye and bought a couple of the books and an "Any News" postcard which I use as a bookmark for them.
    As we get the results of Eurovision before we get to see the Final here, there is no hurry to watch now but I thought the winning Swedish entry was so graphically clever with the singer interacting with the chalk figures.

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I just placed The Storied Life and The Martian on hold at my local library.

As for binge viewing - I love it, my DH Tom hates it. For this reason I limit it to shows that interest me but not him. Generally I watch while sewing or knitting. Perhaps that makes the difference. I find that binge viewing has a deeper emotional intensity, which is the appeal for me.

Right now I am reading a nonfiction book for my real life book club, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking (may have paraphrased this title). The author makes interesting points, chief of which is that American culture is in love with extroverts, which make valuable contributions, but that we lose sight of the also valuable contributions of thoughtful introverts. Probably true, in my opinion. According to her, I am an ambivert, someone with an equal distribution of extrovert and introvert traits. I think is probably accurate. In fact, I agree with her so much it is surprising that I don't love the book more. However, while I am enjoying it, I do find I can put it down without distress.

• friedag
    8 years ago

Vee, re The Dig: It just struck me as unusual that a book about the archaeology of Sutton Hoo would be fictionalized. I can see spinning a tale (historical novel) about the chap buried in the boat, though, where 'the facts' wouldn't get in the way as much and imagination could be given freer rein. But any subject is fodder for a novel, I suppose, and possibly a very good one.

I hadn't thought about the pronunciation of Mrs Pretty's name. But you're right that there could be several possibilities: /pritty/ rhymes with gritty; /pretty/ rhymes with petty; the French, as you mentioned; and if you're from the American West, it could be /purty/ or /purdy/, although the last is a name itself with that spelling. If you ever hear the pronunciation, please let me know what it is!

• friedag
    8 years ago

Rosefolly, thanks for mentioning Quiet: The Power of Introverts... I will likely find the subject interesting because I've been accused of being an extrovert, but actually I have a lot of introverted tendencies -- I relish solitude, for instance. This probably sounds conceited but I am never bored when I'm alone. I can get bored when I'm around too many people too much of the time, however. Possibly I am an ambivert.

• sherwood38
    8 years ago

Rosefolly, I read The Martian a few months ago and really enjoyed it, I hope you do too!

I read Memorial Day by Vince Flynn over the weekend, actually a re-read (sure do miss him!) as usual a real page-turner written in 2004 with events as relevant today.

I don't binge watch TV either, but I did enjoy the 8 episodes of The Honourable Woman which I watched on Netlfix, a really well acted series, but not for those who do not like to watch violence. It took me a week to see it watching one episode a night.

Now, to peruse my kindle for gentle English mystery to read!!

Pat

• blue_jean_baby
    8 years ago

Quiet: the power of introverts must be popular - 6 books and 1 CD book all checked out! So on my list it goes.

Now The Dig I could not find in either of the 2 county systems I tried. In fact, in my county I found exactly one book using Sutton Hoo as a search term! The adjoining county has more to choose from but all non-fic (which is fine, but now I'll have to poke around for a used copy of The Dig.)

Dawn

• annpanagain
    8 years ago

After our discussion about Sue Grafton's Alphabet series, I noticed a copy in the library of " B is for Burglar", first published in 1985! Good heavens, has it been that long since I read it? As I don't recall the story at all, I borrowed it to read again.
    My daughter has our collection but lives eight hours drive away. Borrowing from the library is quicker!

• sheri_z6
    8 years ago

I'll add to the recommendations for Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. I read it the year it came out, and thought it was terrific. I'm definitely an introvert. I can be social and function well in large groups when absolutely required to, but I definitely need my down time to recharge. Too many people for too long and I get very twitchy.

Susan Cain also did a TED talk on the book, and I enjoyed seeing her speak.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts?language=en

• friedag
    8 years ago

Sheri, thank you so much for posting the TED talk link. Ms. Cain presented the introvert's side so well! I'm going to get my DH to watch it. DH is a professor of earth sciences and has had to get used to 'performing' in order to teach. He's gotten darn good at it, but he would prefer to be out in the field and being alone is just fine with him. I think that's why he's so tolerant of my tendency to 'disappear' with books for hours and days at a time. Ms. Cain makes a good point about introversion not necessarily being shyness. I've had people tell me that because I am not shy, I cannot possibly be an introvert. Sure, some introverts are shy, but I don't think all are.

• carolyn_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I finished <i>Bittersweet</i> a China Bayles book by Susan
    Wittig Albert, today. I'm doing a lot of beach reading on my rose-covered patio these days and thoroughly enjoying myself.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

I've heard of this Quiet, The Power of Introverts...from another source as well. Must be good! All of the above comments make me want to check it out. Loved the video. I would guess that I'm an ambivert. I'm most creative when I'm quiet and alone, but I wouldn't say that I'm shy!

As for books, I'm reading Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen right now and loving it.

• kathy_t
    8 years ago

Having read several WWII-themed book in recent years, I was hesitant to take on All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, but a friend liked it so much that he bought copies for several of his friends and I was one of the lucky recipients. In parallel stories, the novel describes the lives of a blind French girl and an orphaned German boy. The war brings dramatic changes to the lives of both children and eventually their paths cross. It's a wonderful book, wonderfully written.

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

I simply could not get into All the Light We Cannot See, but I was alone. The rest of my book club loved it. We unanimously loved Quiet. Opinions ranged from "everyone should read this book " to "very good but could stand a bit of editing". We vote on our books 1-4 at the end of each session. Most books I give a 2 or a 2.5, and I gave this one a 3. Very well researched. Yes, I could put it down, but I was always happy to pick it back up again.

It's a great book club, by the way. Unlike most book clubs each member gets to pick one of the books we read each year. Then once a year we travel to meet an author. This year's destination is New Orleans. I suspect next year may be Louisville, which was a close second in this year's selection and has ardent supporters. And I personally have high hopes for both Portland, Maine and Austin, Texas for future trips.

• carolyn_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've started another "beach read," Laura Childs' Ming Tea Murder. Similar to the rest of the series, but I do love Charleston--and teashops.

• reader_in_transit
    8 years ago

Rosefolly,

What a great idea to meet an author. How did you guys came up with this idea? Who makes arrangements with the author? Which authors have you met already? Details, please.

• michellecoxwrites
    8 years ago

Rosefolly - sounds like fun!

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

I am currently engrossed in "The Dig" by Preston. I like the pacing of the narrative and the way the characters play off each other. I am wondering now why I had not heard of Sutton Hoo in the 60's, when I was traveling in the UK.

Carolyn, would you call Childs "light reading"? How does this author compare with other contemporary authors who use Charleston and its environs as a setting? Just curious.

• carolyn_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mary, very light reading. The main character owns a teashop in Charleston and stumbles over dead bodies right, left, and center. Think Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series, Susan Wittig Albert's China Bales books, etc. She is not nearly as good as Dorothea Benton Frank re South Carolina.

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

Book club and authors - first we pick a place we'd like to go, then we do some research on a local author. We look for someone who lives there, uses that location as the setting for a book, and is not a bestselling author. Bestselling authors are not terribly interested in meeting a group of middle aged women from California, though I do think the group met someone fairly well known before I joined, which was about 8 years ago. This group has been established for quite a number of years. Anyway, when we find a likely prospect we write to them and ask them if we can take them out to lunch to talk about their book. Sometimes they say yes, and those are the ones whose books we buy, read, and then go to visit. We have had wonderful discussions with a number of authors, none of whom are famous. There are some accomplished writers out there producing well-crafted books that do not become well known. Anyway, it ends up being a mutually enjoyable experience, and along the way we explore a city we might otherwise never have seen. It is fun!

• sherwood38
    8 years ago

Rosefolly that sounds like a great experience!

I finished Wrongful Death by Robert Dugoni yesterday and although there are lots of interesting books on my kindle I splurged and downloaded Memory Man the new one by David Baldacci. There are already over 1800 5 * reviews on the book and the library has over 300 holds ahead of me, so I decided I didn't want to wait for it! I started it last night and am glad I bought it.

Pat

• woodnymph2_gw
    8 years ago

Just finished "The Dig" and recommend it highly. This is excellent, subtle, writing! A small "clasic" in its way, in my opinion. I love the landscape descriptions, the characters, with the aura and atmosphere of a looming world war. I think this would make a great candidate for a book discusion at RP.

• carolyn_ky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rosefolly, can you tell us who your Louisville author is?