SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bry911

To FSBO or not to FSBO?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So I am in the process of building a house. I am taking it fairly slow so I have not broken ground yet. The house I live in is ready to go on the market now but I was planning on living in it until my house was finished. I am at 2.675% interest which means almost 75% of every payment is equity for me, so I figured I would move out and it will not hurt me too bad if I have to make both payments for a while. I have a friend who is a retired realtor and he feels the house will sell very fast anyway. I agree, it is by far and away the nicest house in the neighborhood and I will still price it competitively.

Today I thought about just sticking a FSBO sign in the yard and seeing what happens. Kind of like a kismet thing. If it sells then great if not then I will list it with a realtor as I originally planned. My question is: do you think having it as a FSBO for a year before listing with an agent will hurt me, if it doesn't sell?

Edit: I generally value the service a realtor provides and if I was serious about getting my house sold I would enlist a realtor. But I am also not blind to the extra money I would have if I skip the realtor.

Comments (33)