SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mystearica

Stone Fruits and Citrus - Possible?

mystearica
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Heya,

So I want to move to Florida next year. I have no preference where to move (obviously I would have to get a job then move).

That being said - I would LOVE to grow fruit trees - I understand California would be best suited for this. However, that is the only state that does not equivocate my license.

My dream ultimately speaking is to grow all kinds of fruit trees - apples, watermelons, oranges, pears, peaches, nectarines, berries, olives, coconut, pineapples, bananas, even mangoes etc. But... my fruits are weather conflicting - citrus like warm, stone need chilling, coconut/banana will die from any frost... etc etc. Was hoping a zone 9A/B would work - enough chill, warmth and protection for sensitive trees... but realistically speaking - that's not gonna work

Ultimately I have to decide what I want most. So my question is - is there a location/region in Florida where it's possible to grow Citrus and Stone Fruits together? I realize there are "modified" stone tree versions that require 200-300 hours of chilling... not sure which locations have that little chilling hours - and the quality of such trees. I would like to grow so much more but it seems rather hopeless the more I read about it.

Thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH