SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Water status vs citrus fruit quality?

There is a lot of talk on this forum about watering, soil mixes, and other details as it relates to root health and plant vigor. This is good information but my main interest isn't lush growth rather fruit eating quality.

I grow many fruits in-ground and in pots mostly in my greenhouse. I'm continually amazed at the effects of plant water status on fruit quality. It is very difficult to grow good quality fruit if the plants are continually at a high water status.

A good example is Arctic Star nectarine. At a continuous high water staus the fruit is big, beautiful, clear skinned, and about 12 brix. Properly grown with moderate water stress the fruit is smaller, with stippling on the blossom end and about 24 brix. I had some really stressed fruit go 30 brix this year. A 12 brix fruit is barely eatable. A 24 brix is the kind you never find in the store, sensational.

Fruit from my pot grown trees is almost always smaller than in-ground, often 1/2 to 2/3 as big. Brix is often about 4 points higher in pots. But quality is more variable. I see this every year on all kinds of stone fruit, apples, pear, blueberry, grapes, etc.

I've seen this on so many fruit so many times I think it must be true for citrus as well. My citrus has been very sweet and the trees don't grow a lot but I haven't had the extremes of water status that I'm sure about. The plants just seem to plow ahead thru thick and thin.

Have any of you seen water status effects on citrus fruit eating quality?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting