SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnbsnjd57

Help! I'm near ordering everything (days), found a major issue

Eric
9 years ago

So, we're re-doing our kitchen. We recently had some fortunate events and when we bought our house last year the kitchen was one thing that we really didn't care for. Since we have to rip out the kitchen to replace the floor (insurance.. washing machine.. doh!), we decided to do the kitchen at the same time.

We're running a gas line (finally will have gas!), as well as adding outlets for wall (in cabinet) ovens, etc. We're getting a "pro style" range and of course we're getting a range hood. We've got most everything figured out (still trying to decide between dacor and DCS range), but the last thing we have left (and the most difficult it seems) is the range hood.

We've gone back and forth between a chimney, under cabinet, and built in (cabinet covered) style, and I think we've decided on an under cabinet with a 12 inch collar above it (like this). Now for the fun part....

The issue we've arrived at is the kitchen is not "normal. The range actually sits against an interior 2x4 wall (basically it's in the middle of the house). We have vaulted ceilings (14-15 ft where range is), and there's a ~16" soffit around the kitchen just above the cabinets. This house does not have the ducting for the vent, and we have to add it, and planned to stick a square duct between the 2x4s and run it straight to the roof. I'm now finding out that square duct is a big "no no" when it comes to venting these things (planned on doing a 600 cfm and adding a make-up air vent). I'm attaching a picture for so you can see what I'm talking about.

A few things to note: (range is directly below the microwave)

The soffit is solid (no recess), and the 2x4s inside it run perpendicular to the wall.

The wall behind the range is 2x4 and can't be extended without extensive work.

There is attic access on the upper wall to the left. So, running an exposed duct into the wall there is an option, but our house isn't "modern", and I feel like exposed ducting would be tacky.

The thought to remove the soffit all together and just run a stainless chimney up has occurred to me, but as the soffit is basically integrated into parts of the kitchen and spans the circumference, and that would get very expensive very quickly.

Options I'm considering: Build a false wall in above the soffit to the ceiling (concerned about looking clunky as it wouldn't be symmetrical), build a chimney style wall, build a box at the back of the soffit against the wall and take it into the attic space, run a stainless chimney above the soffit. Which would be the least noticeable? If you have a better option, please share.

I'm clueless and looking for options. I would really prefer to not have a recirculating range hood. So I'm looking for people with a niche for design to chime in and give me ideas. TIA!

Eric

Comments (10)