SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedman76

Hard water issue...I'm at a loss

seedman76
2 years ago

I've got a Fleck 5600 water softener that is 12yo. I'll try to make this as short as possible. Never had issues with it. A few weeks ago we started having hard water issues. We really noticed it in the shower, with lack of soap suds, white scale, itchy skin, etc. We also really noticed issues in our dishwasher...scale, spots and dishes not getting cleaned as well. We live in town and according to the city's website, water hardness is 27 grains (very hard). Yesterday I got test strips and sampled our water at several taps. All hot water taps tested around 50ppm. Oddly enough, cold water taps were all at 0ppm or very close to that (even our kitchen sink cold water which I thought was not hooked to the softener...I need to trace lines to verify that). I've also tore into the Fleck 5600 head to verify proper operation. This is my first time doing this but with online resources here's what I've done so far. Removed the injector body. Checked & cleaned injector screen which was ok. Checked and cleaned injector throat and injector nozzle. None looked bad but cleaned anyway. I did not take apart the brine valve stem but did use a screwdriver to ensure it would move up/down and I also oiled it with some light household oil. Removed BLFC fitting, BLFC button (0.50gpm), BLFC button retainer...cleaned and all seemed ok. I was missing the Brine Line Screen and need to order that part but don't think this is my issue. I've run the system through several manual regens and watched each step. It seems to be working fine. I noticed the water level in the brine tank decrease, then refill at the end of the process, etc. Adequate salt is present in the tank. Trying to summarize all I've done. After all this my water (hot water in particular) is hard. I read in the service manual 7 steps to solve "softener delivers hard water" issues. I've tried all steps to no avail except the last one which states "if you have hot water tank hardness" try "repeated flushing of the hot water tank." My questions...

1.) Could my issues be in the hot water heater itself and not the softener?

2.) What issues do I look for in the hot water heater and how might I solve those?

3.) What are the steps to flush the hot water heater and what should I look for when doing so?

4.) Other ideas to try?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments (9)