SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conidog

Water loss in pond - leak or evaporation

Jennifer Schwarz
17 years ago

Hello. I have a question I am hoping some of you pond experts might be able to answer. Bare with me because I want to make sure I give all the variables that may help with an answer. About one month ago I had a pondless waterfall and stream built. The pond portion isnt completely without water. I have the option of keeping about 3 inches of water at the bottom of a 4 x 4 portion of a rock and gravel pit. The gravel pit itself is about 4 feet deep. After the first few days I noticed the gravel portion was losing all of its water. In the beginning I didnt think much about it. I continued to add water and by the next day the water was gone. I was curious just how much it was losing so did a test with a 5 gallon bucket. It turns out it lost 40 gallons in 48 hours. I then turned off the waterfall to rule out a leak in the gravel pit. After 24 hours no water loss, so I knew there wasn't a leak in the pondless portion. I called the installer and let him know what was going on. He came out and was able to find a leak in the stream portion due to a misplaced rock causing a small overflow of water. Well, it turned out the pond was still leaking. The installer returned and said the second leak was due to a light that was placed by me in the waterfall portion. I would have no problem taking blame for something I did however no rocks were moved in his original design to place the light. Even with all of his fixes, I am still losing water. Right now I am down to about 10 gallons a day. I called the installer again and he says he doesnt know what to tell me since he doesnt see any leaks along the edges and because I "manipulated" his project by installing a light. He said it us probably just splash off and evaporation and doesnt seem willing to investigate further. After hearing his complaints of how it takes him 45 minutes to get to my house and how much time he is losing by looking for leaks, I am so disgusted I don't even want him back out here. So here is my question: Is it possible to lose 10 gallons a day due to splashing and evaporation. Temperatures are steady around 87 degrees with normal wind conditions. I'm really concerned since the water feature is close to my foundation. I can live with the water loss if I the structure itself isnt leaking. My main concern is one day I am going to end up with water in my basement from a leak. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)