SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_in_ct

Water Loss in Pond

chris_in_ct
13 years ago

Okay, time for a silly, naive question. I have been losing a fair amount of water from my pond that can't be explained by evaporation alone. I thought I might have a leak in my stream or some sort of siphoning/wicking effect going on but the few spots where that could have happened are fine. In addition, the volume of lost water, which is several inches over a few days, would leave quite a wet area (I would think) and help me track it down.

So I've been at a loss (of water and ideas!) on what might be causing the problem. The question is: do water hyacinth consume a lot of water? My water loss is getting worse as time goes on and the only thing relaitve to this has been the explosive growth of my WH (thanks to DRH1 and his thread about chemical additions to the pond...I can attest, it works!). The WH now cover almost the entire surface of my pond and I am throwing out bucketfulls every week. So, is this possible? Could the WH be the culprit consuming the water?

Sorry if this seems stupid to folks and someone tells why this obiovusly canÂt be the case. I just am grasping at straws at this point. Appreciate any advice.

Regards,

-Chris

Comments (9)