SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dataz72263

Really want to get a great lawn this year

Michael D.
9 years ago

Hi, this will be my third full summer in this house and finally want to really make the effort to get the lawn looking great. The prior owners really took great care of it, but the house was vacant for about a year before we purchased it so it had some issues. Overall I think I am starting in pretty good shape.

I am in Delaware (zone 7a) and am sitting on a little less than an acre. The front has a pretty decent grade to it (away from the house) and the back is relatively level. I have a 9 zone irrigation system that has not been turned on yet this year, but I typically run about 45 minutes per zone 3 nights a week. I have read on here though that some of your really recommend much less frequently than that.

I am not sure what type of grass it is, but it is some sort of cool weather blend over most of it. I keep it cut pretty long (3.5-4") and don't bag the clippings. The lawn has never been treated, at least since I have been here.

Some of the issues that I want to correct are some thin areas, tons of dandelions and crabgrass and some clover, and just want a better looking lawn overall.

Also, there is an area in the back that used to be a garden that was planted with some sort of warm weather grass that I would like to change over what I have everywhere else. It is also very rough and bumpy. There is also another decently sized area that is dipped down a few inches that I would really like to back fill and replant. I am thinking both of those probably need to wait until fall though to be dealt with.

We also have a septic system and I would normally think that it would grow best over there but for some reason you can actually see where the drainage pipes are as the grass directly over them is always somewhat brown. I had the system pumped about a month or so ago and they said everything was fine with the system and didn't know what would be causing that. Is there anything that I can do there?

I am probably going to have the lawn dethatched within the next week or so and just want to know where I should go from there.

Thanks.

Comments (24)