SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnhelton

Really , really gone organic this year and it's a freaking jungle

gnhelton
13 years ago

We've done what we thought was organic for a few years but this year we have gone whole hog on it. So far no fertilizer except for Espoma fish emulsion(worm castings will be added very soon). Mulched our raised rows with wood chips and some shredded grass clippings about a month ago. We've got spinach, lettuce, onions and snap peas out. They seem to be doing ok. Added tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, chilies and 1 herb plant today.

I sat down by a row a few times and watched all the activity. First time ever I have seen lady bug larva roaming around and on patrol around the spinach. Saw crickets, grass hoppers all manner of beetles and beetle larva , small spiders and bunches of tiny something or others just working away. One row in particular, which happens to be covered in shredded leaves and grass clippings, was full of worms. We had trouble excavating a hole big enough for 16 oz tomato plant without hitting worms. Literally I bet we set aside 10 earthworms before we got the plant set. Noticed most of our rows had great moisture and plenty of worms but this one was off the charts.

One row covered in wood chips we pulled back the mulch with our hands and I was going to start digging. I noticed what seemed to be fairly large insect leg right where I was going to start making a hole. Looked a little closer and saw the entire picture. There was (to me) a massive wolf spider with the lower half of his body lowered into the soil. Did I mention spiders give me the heebie geebies? This dude was HEALTHY. Cold chill down my spine. She was pretty ticked I was in her garden I think.

All this said, with no pesticides and saving the neem oil until I absolutely have to have it, I am betting my garden gets eaten alive this year. Man oh man is rough down there, kill or be killed. Not sure how I am going to deal with the stink bugs, short of just picking them off and squishing. Diatomaceous earth maybe? Interesting to watch the last few weeks, except for the spiders as big as my head(to me). Anyone ever died from a wolf spider bite? ;-)

Comments (42)