SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

Should I trim the top of my sagebrush

tamtrible
9 years ago

I have a tiny, tiny garden in my tiny, tiny yard. There's one of those ornamental sagebrush plants that was here when I moved in. It's... kind of too big for the space it's in, especially if I want to actually reach the parts of the garden where I have the things I planted, like my onions and the new little English lavender. I don't *object* to the sagebrush, and don't really want the space for anything else (and it shades my little dragonfruit), but I don't care much about it, either.

I've kind of had a policy of letting it grow up as much as it wants to, and just trimming the side when it gets in the way. But it feels like I have to do that practically every day (or, at least, every week), and it gets annoying.

I'm wondering, if I just went at it with the clippers 'til it was, say, 2 feet shorter (it's almost as tall as I am, though only about 2 feet wide), would that significantly slow its sidewards growth? Is there anything else I can do to reduce its vim and vigor a bit, without hurting my other plants? (I don't water it, really, and I don't think I've ever fertilized it, it only gets rainwater and a little residual water from when I water the nearby garden)

Comments (5)