SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpbenda

Having Problem with a Dying Blue Spruce in Nashville

Brian Benda
9 years ago

I have a blue spruce that was planted three years ago. Over that time, the tree has thrived and been beautiful. About a month ago, the tree started dropping needles and turning an amber/brown color around the base, as if it was dying. It has gradually started to work its way up the tree. I have snapped the ends of a few limbs to determine if the tree is getting too much water, too little, etc. The ends of the limbs appeared to be on the dry side, snapped off easily, but not so dry that they seemed dead. I haven't turned on my irrigation yet this year, as we have had decent rainfall. The base of the tree is mulched, and has been over the entire three year period. All of the plants and shrubs around this tree appear healthy and fine. I have an atlas cedar tree about 30 feet away and it is very healthy and thriving. I have Googled around about potential issues with blue spruce trees and have found a decent amount of information dating back over the last 4-5 years, but no clear solutions. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations