SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Dress that would be appropriate for funeral

My apologies that this is a bit morbid. But we have multiple elderly family members in less than good health. I think I need to face the possibility that we could be traveling with two kids on short notice to a funeral. And I realized the other day, I have nothing appropriate to wear. When I worked I always had navy and black suits, but I haven't worked in years and those suits were all out of style or ill-fitting so I donated them a while ago.

I'm a SAHM now and I don't think it makes much sense to buy suits for this possibility as I have no other reason to wear them and decent suits are pricey. I think it makes more sense to buy a short sleeve and a long sleeve black or navy dress that would be suitable for a funeral but could also be worn for other events (dinners out, etc).

I think I need something with short sleeves for summer--as opposed to sleeveless? (This is a bit difficult to find.) And at least knee length? I thought I could start with short sleeves now and look for long sleeves in the fall. In a pinch I could always add a black cardigan and tights to a short sleeve dress to make it work in the fall/winter.

Do you think some thing like this faux wrap dress from Talbots would work?

Is it dark enough? And dressy enough? (Our families are not dressy people and we would be in the west/mid-west.)

Other suggestions welcome. I'd like to spend under $150 and I'm a size 6 or eight.

Comments (53)

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I just got a Lands End catalog, which strangely, had a lot of very cute dresses. (I like their swimsuits, but don't think of their clothing as especially fashionable.)

This one would be appropriate for a funeral, and for most occasions really-

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-elbow-sleeve-eyelet-shift-dress/id_281821?sku_0=::CLN

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

It was more the style, than the specific dress. By keeping it solid it is easier to add a sweater, scarf or necklace and not make it look like you are wearing the same dress.

• Related Discussions

Funeral pictures....appropriate???

Q

Comments (6)
    I can't think of any reason why photographs would be inappropriate. When my daughter Jill died, a friend who is a professional videographer offered to shoot a video of the memorial service, and another friend brought his video camera. So I have two videos. I've only watched them once, but I'm grateful to have a record of what was a very beautiful gathering at which many people spoke. You're probably aware that in the early days of photography a portrait was often taken of the deceased. Many times this was the only photograph the family had of that person. My sympathy on the loss of your brother. Susan
    ...See More

Would you wear this dress to a funeral?

Q

Comments (51)
    1929Spanish-GW It's Boden. Here's a link - Dress. DH's mother was recently in the hospital with a serious illness. She's much better now but the incident made me think ahead to possible funeral preparations. I work from home and generally dress very casually. I have a few very dressy dresses which I know are not funeral appropriate. If I had to attend acquaintance's funeral I could probably get away with my usual black cropped pants and a blazer but for DH's family I know I will need a conservative dress. I'll keep looking but I'll probably order the dress because I think it is cute.
    ...See More

Do you have a funeral outfit?

Q

Comments (31)
    Thank you @maddielee, @morz8 - Washington Coast, @Feathers11, and @Annie Deighnaugh for your condolences. It means so much to have a kind virtual group of friends to help me at this time. The last two dresses fit really well, better than the first I think. The middle dress is a bit more formal and the latter is a little more casual. I'm leaning towards wearing the last dress since it is a little more casual and as recommended, works a little better with the booties It's a Norma Kamali dress. I may end up keeping the middle dress too since it fits really well and seems like a good staple since I'm clearly lacking non-sleeveless dresses. The first and middle are both Calvin Klein. Thank you everyone for your help in this time. I think I need to build out my closet with a few more staples so that in the future I won't feel so panicked trying to find something appropriate to wear. My professional life has become so casual (first working for a very casual company and now working from home for that company) that my closet has really fallen into very casual territory. Combine that with weight changes and maturing in age and I think I need to do a little investment in my closet again.
    ...See More

One Funeral, Three Dresses

Q

Comments (63)
    Kswl, I too was remiss in not sending my condolences to your family. Also, I missed that you had been ill. Did you get sick after your trip? Sorry I missed that too, but hope it was short. Seems like that happens to a lot of our friends when they travel. Back to clothing…I just realized that I have been gravitating to dark olive lately, especially pants and one paler olive green skirt. So much so that I’m re-thinking some tops I’ve had in my cart from a couple of places. I really just needed to look thru my closet at what I have, which I did yesterday, and put together some coordinating jackets/sweaters from there. I did order a couple of cashmere crew neck sweaters and a cashmere hoodie from Quince. They were down to $50 from $69 for the sweaters, so I couldn’t let those pass by.
    ...See More
  • Yayagal
    9 years ago

Today people wear just about everything. A simple skirt and top or slacks and top is okay. A dress would be very suitable. I see many young people come in just slacks at shirts for the guys. As long as you look decently dressed and not giltsy or glittery, you'll be okay. I always wear something conservative as it is a wake but I've seen some garish clothing too. It's not like the old days. My family is always properly dressed but they learned that at home. I think either dress above would be fine.

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

@jlc - I used to love Lands End (shopped there since the 80's). Am so disappointed their quality has significantly decreased the past 5-10 yrs. I think they are struggling (& overpriced for quality) as 30% off everything sales are common.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I'm not concerned about being able to style this differently as it likely won't get a ton of wear and wouldn't often be worn in front of the same people.

(That LE dress is only available in a size 2 in navy)

I appreciate the help!

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is this dress from Nordstrom:

But it seems a bit more casual? Possibly a bit short. And like the fabric might not travel as well. It's hard to find a short sleeve dark dress that hits the knees or below, especially since body conscious styles look terrible on me. This one is also over budget a bit.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was eyeing that travelsmith dress earlier. It seems to check all the boxes, doesn't it? I have bought a few things from travelsmith over the years and somehow I have almost always ended up feeling frumpy in them. I'm not sure why.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Yes, people do show up in all sort of things for funerals. And others raise a brow. if I were buying a dress for that purpose, I would buy a simple black dress. It's not as though it won't have broad utility for other uses.

Banana republic has two cute wrap dresses. I prefer the line of the one with 3/4 sleeves, but that one has limited sizes left.

This one is only $98.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=408398022&vid=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bananarepublic.com%2Fproducts%2Flittle-black-dress.jsp

That said, it will all be in the fit. I'd expect to try a few . No reason to look dowdy, just classic.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would look for a "little black dress" in a knit for comfort...with a cap sleeve, v-neck. Depending on which style looks and feels better on you, it could be a sheath or a fit and flare like this one which comes in black. Or there's this one with a cowel neck. You could then get a colored cardi with some matching jewelry and you're done. The beauty of this dress is it will serve you well for many occasions, not just funerals. And it can be dressed up or down by simply changing the shoe and jewelry.

But I agree with the others. People do not dress for funerals like they used to...I've seen people in t-shirts and jeans, in brightly colored items, the whole gimish. I tend to dress more conservatively and formally though, as that's how I feel most comfortable for these affairs.

• redtartan
    9 years ago

The days of wearing black to a funeral have long passed. It's more important to wear something clean and respectful. Obviously do not wear a clubbing dress with your butt hanging out. You don't even need to wear a dress, pants are just fine as well. I too have been at a funeral where people have worn jeans. It doesn't bother me. I know not everyone owns or can afford to go out and buy something for a funeral.
    Last year, my sister's ex father in law passed away and it was a super casual funeral as per his wishes. Nearly everyone was in shorts since it was a summer funeral.
    So to answer your question, yes the dress you posted is just fine.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Of course no one is suggesting that one HAS to wear all black to a funeral, and of course anything somber and clean and modest is fine. But if one can afford it, it shows respect to dress traditionally for the occasion unless otherwise requested.

I also don't love the first dress posted. I think chevron has peaked, and it's kind of ordinary looking to me. A nicely fitted black dress is elegant, the first dress posted is not particularly elegant to me.

• redtartan
    9 years ago

MtnRdRedux No need to wear something "somber". It's perfectly ok now to wear brighter colours. Funerals are, or at least should be about about celebrating the deceased life. At least this has been my experience as I've had to attend quite a few in the past few years. My aunt and uncle also own 2 funeral homes and my cousin also became a funeral director last year to join the family business.
    If the family is not super conservation, like OP mentioned there's no need to dress super somber.

One thing with having to deal with death of loved ones, is that it opens your eyes a little with how you'd like for your own to be handled.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked at banana republic earlier. All their dresses are above the knee, including the one linked. I'm really not sure about going above the knee, especially as my youngest child is just five so I spend a lot of time bending down.

I appreciate the help.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the Macy's links. I have gone through Nordstrom and Lord and Taylor's websites, but haven't tackled Macy's yet.

I think below the knees, or at a minimum, at the knees, is more important to me than solid black or navy. I have kids and I bend down a lot to help or talk to my youngest. I'd rather be wearing a dark print than flash a lot of leg.

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

Zappos free shipping, both delivery & returns

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Depending on your local culture, I agree that black no longer seems mandatory for funerals at all where I am (WASPy). Dressing up/dressing appropriately seems to be more the thing. I seem to go to a lot of funerals these days and people wear a lot of conservative color but generally nice clothing, like they were going to an interview or business meeting.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! The Pendleton from zappos would be a possibility. The top one from Bloomingdales would not look good on me--too fitted on bottom.

This one from Talbots meets all my criteria, except it does have a fairly big pattern. The style is one that usually suits me very well.

• maggieq
    9 years ago

You might want to check out the Chicos Travellers line and JJill Wearever, particularly if you will be travelling by plane. Altho just looked at JJ and their options are not as good as years past.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I tend to like to wear black to funerals, but I tend to wear a fair amt of black anyway... I don't think you need to limit yourself to short sleeves unless you prefer them. I prefer sleeveless usually or 3/4 on myself... if you worry you might be chilly get a 3/4 sleeve cardigan to wear over it. solid or print is fine and black or color is fine too. ( I really prefer the just below knee to 1/2 down calf length and can't wait til they are more stylish again- hate that so many are made so short currently!!) agree that something alittle more conservative without glitter and flounce is the way to go!

my biggest criteria would be do I like this enough to wear other than to a funeral.

• eld6161
    9 years ago

Are you a "dress" person? I am not. My life is casual and my job is casual. I never have to wear a dress. (I do like wearing them and make a special effort when invited to a wedding.)

And, shoes are not forgiving with a dress. You an hide shoes a bit under slacks. Do you have the shoes that will go with a dress and be comfortable enough to go through a long day?

I would wear slacks and a top. Although it does seem like there is a lot of black, navy and charcoal gray could work too. For summer, light weight slack s and a short sleeve blouse. If you want a pattern, it should be tiny, like a hounds tooth or check.

Winter, a pair of dark slacks and a cardigan. You can wear it with a small patterned top or a solid dark top.

I think you will get more use out of slacks and tops if you need something a bit dressier in a pinch. I'm not sure if those dresses would fit the bill.

You are smart to think ahead. Last minute shopping is just too stressful. (Except for my two DD's who can buy a complete ensemble five minutes before having to walk out the door!)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I have worn black pantsuits to the last few funerals that I attended (including my Grandmother's; my mother, her daughter, wore black pants and a black lace sweater). You may have to consider, though, the "norms" for the church or facility. A black jacket, with black pants and a skirt may provide for flexibility, and can be reused later for other purposes.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am very comfortable in dresses and for this purpose I like a dress because I would not have to find matching pieces to pull an outfit together. I could just grab the dress and throw it in my suitcase. I do have shoes I could wear with a dress.

If it were very cold and I would be attending the graveside service, I would feel comfortable going to a funeral in a wool pants suit--and I do still own one dark brown wool pants suit and an ivory shell that would work in that weather . But if it is not very cold, I would feel most appropriate wearing a dress.

I am also more likely to wear a dress for dinners out and the like so a dress would get more use in my wardrobe.

Thank you all. (After I solve this for me, I need to take care of the kids' clothes too.)

• redtartan
    9 years ago

For my grandfather's funeral (which was the one where some wore jeans and a t-shirt), I had my kids in khaki shorts and light blue short-sleeved dress shirts. It was summer so you don't want a child getting hot and being miserable in those situations should you choose for the child to attend. That funeral everyone was all over the map in clothing. My father was dressed in a full black suit, while some of his siblings wore casual but dressy attire. A few of his cousins were in jeans and a t-shirt. Nobody thought it was odd though since that's how they always dress. I wore black dress pants with a light gray short shelved blazer with a light coloured top underneath. Not dressy but not super casual either.

• User
    9 years ago

Like the first dress best. Paired with a black short jacket or cardigan it is ready to go. And black flats or pumps, never open toed shoes, which in our neck of the woods would be like wearing a cha-cha outfit to a funeral.

Sorry to hear about your relatives, you are wise to be prepared.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the kids won't be so hard. Ds is 11 and I think I can go with a dark polo and dark pants (or shorts if it is very hot) and just let him wear dark sneakers. He already has that stuff, but probably needs new anyway as he has had a growth spurt. Dd is five and hopefully I can find her a plain-ish dress in a not too bright color or pattern and that will be fine.

I found this on Bloomingdale's site. It would likely look good on me, I think the pattern is more subtle and therefore more suitable. I like the style. But that high-low hem thing is a little too fashion-y maybe for a funeral?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

The hi-low dress isn't appropriate for funerals, IMO. Something classic is all you need. I wear slacks and and a nice blouse with a cardigan. I also wear dark flats, especially if going to the cemetary. I agree with KSWL, no heels or open toed shoes.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something classic is near impossible to find.

Is the hem the only objection? Because I was thinking I could likely have it hemmed to just below the knee length all the way around. It's on sale so I could pay for tailoring and still be in budget.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I bet if you look in your closet you'll find something. I never throw away old clothes if they're still in good condition and are still classic. Do you have dark slacks/pants? They don't have to be black. A top with a simple necklace would look pretty with the slacks.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Here's one that is tea-length, 3/4 sleeves so you can wear any time of year, avail in lots of sizes, and is washable rather than dryclean only.

Here is the crazy part. It is $40 with free shipping.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I don't have anything in my closet.

Thanks for the picture MtnRdredux. Where did you find it?

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

sorry, duh. I did a search for "tea length 3/4 sleeve black"

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/shop?query=tea+length+dress+black+3%2F4+sleeves

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

I like this faux wrap 3/4-sleeve dress by Karen Kane. Not too pricey. I am almost 5'9" and have an awful time finding dresses that reach the knee (and that are stylish). I know this is shown with 'wedding apparel'. Why I don't know but I came across it the other day looking for something a little dressy and was searching on the 'knee-length' option.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/karen-kane-ruched-faux-wrap-dress/3249939?origin=category&BaseUrl=Wedding+Guest

or this, which may be more fitted and has long sleeves.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kamalikulture-shirred-long-sleeve-dress/3416453?origin=coordinating-3416453-0-3-PP_3-Rich_Relevance_Recs_API-250454&recs_type=coordinating&recs_productId=3416453&recs_categoryId=0&recs_productOrder=3&recs_placementId=PP_3&recs_source=Rich_Relevance_Recs_API&recs_strategy=250454&recs_referringPageType=item_page

Nothing Left to Say thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bonnie
    9 years ago

The faux wrap dress from Talbot's would be appropriate. Buy something that you expect to be able to wear again. You can always pack a short sleeve (or long) black mini-cardigan if you need some warmth. I am in complete agreement with Suzi, unless this is a parent or close relative where you might be standing in a receiving line.

Nothing Left to Say thanked Bonnie
  • debrak_2008
    9 years ago

I remember over 20 years ago attending a funeral for an elderly person and I was the only one wearing black. I remember people asking me why I wore black. Even 20 years ago things were changing.

I can say if you are a family member of the deceased you will not even notice what people are wearing. Wear comfortable shoes as you may be standing for an extended period of time.

I hear more about people wearing what the deceased liked. For example a guy who liked to fish, people wearing what they would on a boat. Person was a metal head then dress the part. Etc. I can't say I have taken part in this type of dressing, just heard a lot about it locally.

Nothing Left to Say thanked debrak_2008
  • MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Wow, this is so different from my experience. I have not been to very many funerals, in fact I can only think of a few, but people generally wore dark navy or black, suits or dresses, with plain white or blue shirts. And everyone was "dressed up", ie as a professional might dress for the office. Children wore attire you might for a school uniform. Overall, the tone was formal.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I was going to say exactly what amj0517 said (down to her height and size and sahm status). Several years ago I bought a lined black pencil skirt (actually I bought 2 of them, one in a 6 and one in the middle-aged spread size of 8 - still wearing the 6). I just wore it to a funeral with a blue sleeveless top and coordinating bright blue 3/4 sleeve 2-button jacket. It was perfect.

The problem with a dress is necklines change, sleeve types change, waist/bust details change. All of that can be managed with just buying a new top to go with the classic black skirt. Some funerals are very funereal (stuffy and stodgy) while others are for those who had a real zest for life and that can be celebrated by wearing a brighter colour on top. The funeral that I just went to - the friend for who it was for wouldn't have liked people to wear all dark colours and no one did.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These would be my parents or my in-laws. All have serious health issues and all are in their 70s. For my family, I know my mother would expect me to show up in a dark color, modest dress or skirt suit, pants acceptable in case if cold (though I attended my grandfather's graveside service in a two piece skirt suit in 40 degree raining weather).

No one in my family would ask for us to wear favorite colors of the deceased or the like, though I have been to one funeral where the deceased's children asked for us to wear bright colors as she had loved bright colors (I complied by wearing a navy skirt suit with a bright pink blouse).

My in-laws would probably care less what I wore, but there would be no requests for out of the ordinary attire.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would prefer a dress over a skirt and top. I find a dress less stressful.

• User
    9 years ago

I like the $40 dress Mtnrdredux posted above----- pretty, classic and a Bargain, capital B.

At most of the funerals I've attended the mourners wear darker clothing, some mixed with white or gray in a pattern (similar to the first dress posted), with some surprising red outfits. Red is a color that crops up around here fairly often for some reason, even on recently widowed ladies. Children are dressed in Sunday church clothes.

However....the well-liked brother of one of our employees died in a terrible accident and his funeral brought out their whole town. It was summer, and some folk wore shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. While it really was a shocking visual, the family was just as grateful for the presence of the shorts wearers as the soberly clothed.

Adding--- imo the high low dress is not a good choice for a funeral. Hemmed, it will be rather short, and the style is a little free and breezy for a funeral.

Nothing Left to Say thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

In our day, one NEVER wore red to a funeral...ever! It was the color of harlots!

• User
    9 years ago

Some widows who wear red have mentioned it was their husband's favorite color or his favorite suit or dress of hers. I think that is a sweet tribute to the dead person over convention. Otherwise I don't know why somebody would do it. I think red fingernail polish at a funeral is worse, though :-)

Isn't it funny what says "Jezebel" to us as individuals?

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I definitely would say to wear whatever you like best for your own parents' or in laws' funerals... I wouldn't worry a bit about your dress in that case- you can be more relaxed rather than worrying about meeting someone else's expectation(except your mom's!) when it's your own parents.... i would err on the side of more traditional and somber for someone i was less close to. I would choose something that you like and think you would wear again, tho I did have a friend once tell me that she doesn't wear 'funeral attire' to any other occasion because of the negative associations, but I don't feel like that.

usually 'celebration of life' ceremonies- which sometimes are also the funeral- more often for younger people than the elderly- are more casual and colorful than traditional funerals in my experience...

• Funkyart
    9 years ago

As you can see, there's quite a range of experiences with funerals. My experience has been as varied--one of my grandfathers was a well known business man and he traveled in the country club/golf circles. His funeral mass was in a cathedral and definitely a black suit occasion. My other grandfather's service was a riverside celebration of life (which was marked with a release of trout fishlings). Two years later, my grandmother's service was in the same spot and a daisy chain was released. Both events were held on the grounds of a local inn/restaurant/event facility (primarily weddings) and catered by them. The dress was much more appropriate to an outdoor event. I provided detail here because it very much dictated the expected dress-- where a sundress/sleeveless dress was very appropriate to the outdoor celebration of life, they'd have been most out of place in the cathedral. Like so many other events, you want to know the location and crowd.

Since you'll be attending funerals of those close to you, I think you should follow your instincts. I assume you will be handling or in close touch with those handling the arrangements so you will know just how formal or informal to go.

I have a dress similar to the first one you posted in black-- also from Talbots-- and it is a very easy to wear dress that is both flattering and forgiving. I also think it is very adaptable-- it can be dressed up and down with jewelry, shoes. While I don't generally wear their dresses, Talbots has actually been my go-to for funeral dresses. There are quite a few in my area and they always have a simple sheath dress (which are also very forgiving) that can be easily paired with a jacket and simple jewelry (pearls?). Talbots runs big sales-- 30-40% off at various times through the year. I'd hold out for one of the sales and then try a few styles-- again, their cuts tend to be very forgiving so you may be able to wear a style you wouldn't from another maker.

Sorry you have to be thinking of these things -- but I think you are doing the right thing to get your clothing together now. The last thing you will want to do after the death of a parent or in-law is to panic shop for an outfit.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate all the help!

I ordered the hi-lo dress because it is nearly out of stock so I figured if I want to try it I needed to order ASAP. I'll see how high the hi part of the hemline is and whether it could be hemmed. I am still deciding which of the others to order. I think I should probably keep two if I can find two affordably that work to allow for the possibility of visitation and services.

Again thank you all!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think this dress from Talbots is lovely. Very chic and you could wear it for many different venues. [http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi34844&N=4294966578+10189&No=48&selectedConcept=Misses&;=1430249383932&Nrpp=24&Nr=AND(product.siteId%3ATalbotsSite%2COR(product.catalogId%3Acatalog20002](http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi34844&N=4294966578+10189&No=48&selectedConcept=Misses&=1430249383932&Nrpp=24&Nr=AND(product.siteId%3ATalbotsSite%2COR(product.catalogId%3Acatalog20002)))

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was ordering from zappos anyway so I ordered this black Splendid shirt dress:

If the two dresses I have ordered don't work out, I will explore some of the other options. And I will revisit the long sleeve options this fall.

I ordered this navy dress from Hanna Andersson for five year old dd:

She can wear it for everyday so it will get use. In the fall, I will look for something similar with long sleeves. Next I will find her a pair of navy or black Mary Janes that she can wear to school as well as for more formal things.

And I ordered ds a plain short sleeve navy polo. He has dark brown pants that fit and are in good condition already. He has dark sneakers and I'm going to call that good enough for an eleven year old who is fussy about his shoes and whose feet are still growing (size 9 1/2 men's shoes already!)

So hopefully this will take care of that wardrobe gap for all of us (dh owns and occasionally wears dark suits for work so he is always set in this regard).

Thank you all again for your help and scouring the internet for me!

• User
    9 years ago

Love the HA dress for your daughter!. Good job being prepared, crl.

Nothing Left to Say thanked User