SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

My New Plants for Spring!

I have some new plants this spring! After going to the St. Augustine Flower & Plant Expo and the Mandarin Garden Club Plant Sale the past couple of weekends, I have some fun new plants! Some of these were actually on my Want List. I will be spending this afternoon walking around, pots in hand, trying to decide how to arrange the "furniture", LOL! If you have/had any of these, I would appreciate any care suggestions. Here's what's new:

Pagoda plant - not sure which one I have - it is very small and there are several plants that go by this name, so I'll try to identify it after it blooms. Been on my want list for a long time.

(False) Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora) - Had a tiny, tiny piece of this in the past and it did not survive. So excited to have it again. I potted this up so that I can bring it inside to protect in the winter.

Red Buckeye Tree - also called Firecracker Plant (Aesculus pavia) - fast growing, very early bloomer and great for hummingbirds, deciduous, good canopy tree. Already have this one in the ground.

Night-Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum)- had this in the past - lost it to a freeze - will try to take better care of this one.

Mock Orange - also called English Dogwood - (Philadelphus) - not sure which variety I have. They come in singles, semi-doubles and doubles; scented and unscented. Keeping my fingers crossed that mine is scented. Supposed to be dense twiggy, tall shrub, not particularly attractive, but gorgeous white blooms in spring and a wonderful scent, if you have the right one.

Philippine Violet - blue (Barleria cristata)

Philippine Violet - white (also Barleria cristata? Not sure)

Eranthemum Blue sage (Eranthemum pulchellum) - been wanting this for a long time.

Fringe tree - also called Old Man's Beard, Grancy Graybeard - not sure which one this is - there is both a Chinese and virginicus variety - and comes in either male or female. Hope mine is a male Chionanthus virginicus. Extreeeeeeeeemly slow growing, so I may not know for years and years, LOL!

Do you have any of these? How do they do for you? Give me any advice, please!

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida