SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

Prune canes on new plants now, or spring??

avajay
14 years ago

I just got a bunch of container roses from WalMart half-price. I know that's not the place to go for quality plants, but, as I'm new to growing roses, but I have a new, large lot and want to put roses everywhere, I thought I'd use them for propagation (any patents have expired, I do believe). One in particular (labelled "Mister Lincoln"), after pruning dead ends from each of the 4 canes arising from the union, has the brown, pulpy core. My mom recommended to just go ahead and plant them now, get some roots established before winter, mound up soil and mulch for winter protection, and prune what looks bad in the spring. If that brown pulp has not yet reached the union, will waiting for spring be too late? There are some very healthy branches coming out of these canes, most with foliage, some with buds. I'm not sure about the health of all of the canes on the other plants, I thought I'd read up first before performing any more surgery (with un-sterilized pruners, no less...don't judge me, I didn't know...).

I believe many (if not all) of my plants have canker, judging from photos and descriptions I've been seeing and reading. Again, operate now, or wait until spring??

If I need to seal a new cut, will paraffin work? I bought body-bag roses this spring that had wax on the ends of cane stubs, and they seemed to be healthier plants overall than the ones I just got. I cut those ends off (slap my forehead HARD) thinking that it was needed to produce new growth. Doesn't come from there, does it? Yeah. I know. Will be going to check on those now, too.

Thanks,

Joyce

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH