SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24154452

Lots of views online, no showings

User
9 years ago

We were listed last year for a price that was too high, took a shot at selling. We came down to a price that is more realistic to sale this year. When we first went on in March we had a few showings off the rip, and an open house with 5 people through, all whom said that we should have no trouble selling the house. 2 weeks went by without a showing, lowered price 5 grand to get on MLS hot sheet, no showings, but 6 people through on open house all who loved the house, and one even came back for a second time, stayed 45 minutes, and agent said a offer looks promising. That was last week. Based on what you see on listing, why isn't this house selling? The other houses that have sold in our neighborhood are not in the condition of this home. A comparable sold for 141,000 earlier in the year, but it needs a ton of work. Our's is move in condition.

Lots of views online, no showings. HELP!!

http://www.trulia.com/property/3161060128-1814-Eastern-Pkwy-Schenectady-NY-12309

Comments (66)

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Exactly Suzi.

Melle_sacto, the OP's home was built in the 20's but had been obviously updated with new cabinets and baths in the early 80's.

• catchick
    9 years ago

Even if you don't re-do the expensive things, I think you could re-do the interior pictures. There's one of the kitchen where the pan hanging toward the viewer doesn't look quite clean. I'd take out twice as much stuff out of every room and make all the couch cushions more lined up--all that corny "fake" stuff that works. At the very least, have a friend if not a professional stage it. When we were selling last year, we ate least had all the kitchen cupboards painted over in an up-to-date look and staged like crazy in all the home's bad areas.

• Related Discussions

Gardening Show Online

Q

Comments (1)
    I often catch this show. Makes for a nice lunch break on Saturdays. My favorite show participant was always L.B. Bass (he's retired now and only does a guest spot every now and then). Met him in real life at a friend's birthday party one time. Turns out he's my friend's cousin.
    ...See More

Can't View Shows on (Free) Hulu

Q

Comments (4)
    Sounds like your browser cache is too small. Streaming Video's don't always clear with the normal clear cache method if they haven't completed the file download. They seem to have to grow a few hours old or age some time amount before they will clear. Its a good idea to let those streaming type video's reach their end and stop .. meaning watch the ending credits/music. This post was edited by mikie on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 10:45
    ...See More

Recording Online Shows??

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't know how easy this would be. A lot things like this are encoded with DRM (Digital Rights Management). You would probably have to "capture" the video, then have some type of software to encode it to be able to burn it to DVD. I am sure it is do-able, it just how much work you want to go through to do it. Be VERY careful downloading some of the software that enables you do to this - it can be crap-ful of virus and malware. DD has a USB TV tuner that she hooks up to her laptop. She then hooks the cable TV cord into that. She can use her laptop as a DVR and record shows from TV that way (very simple to do!) I think she uses Windows Media Player to do this. I have a link to the tuner that she uses. If I record something on my DVR (DISH) - I can very easily re-record the show/movie onto a DVD using my DVD burner that I have set up with my TV. Here is a link that might be useful: USB TV tuner
    ...See More

OT - daily viewings of "the nutcracker" squirrel show

Q

Comments (16)
    I really enjoy reading about your squirrels, Jackie. Our ground squirrels aren't nearly as interesting or trusting. However, their home is on a steep hill across from several windows so we can watch their antics. One of the funniest ones was a squirrel trying to carry a huge piece of packing paper up the steep hillside which she must have thought would make good nesting material. Another time a squirrel was trying to carry a large grapefruit up said hill and he'd lose his grip and it would roll all they way to the bottom. It took five tries but he finally managed to wrestle his treasure all the way up to his ground burrow.
    ...See More
  • artemis78
    9 years ago

I don't think the age of the home is the issue (lots of 1920s homes in both NY and CA that are coveted, though I agree that I'd be wary of tract homes built in the 1980s because of corner cutting in that era--but that's not this house). It's just the age of the updates, IMO. In our area (where pretty much anything sells given how hot the market is) this would likely be listed with a cheezy realtor line like "awaits your personal touch" or "add a little TLC and make this house your home!" with comments from realtors about how it has good bones but needs updating throughout. Definitely not considered move-in ready, though of course I understand what you mean by that--it's also not a fixer by any means.

I don't know your market at all, but I'd take a close look at your comps and make sure you're really pricing in line with homes in similar condition, which is to say, homes that need updating. (Be sure to consider the age of things like your furnace/hot water heater/electrical/plumbing/etc. as well, if those were last updated at the time the kitchen and baths were done, as they may have been.) I'm not at all bothered by the basement or the garage, which look pretty typical for older NY/New England homes to me (and that's a less scary basement and a bigger garage than our California home has! ;) Given that it looks like you're selling while you live there with young kids, I don't think I'd worry about trying to repaint (and again, doesn't bother me that much) but just know that you may need to price a little lower to compensate there too. Good luck!

• patty_cakes42
    9 years ago

Michael, what a wonderful house and fantastic curb appeal. If I had to choose one thing that bothers me the most, it would be the cabinets~when one of my daughter's lived in San Diego, she had the exact cabinets. We always talked about doing something to them, but never did. If you have a Habitat for Humanity in your area, measure the different cabinet sizes, and go there looking for new ones. Sometimes they're brand new from the big box stores, other times it's what people have donated from renovatios. You'll be surprised what they might have.

• patty_cakes42
    9 years ago

You DO have a H for H with a Restore, which usually means furniture, etc. Just because you don't see any cabibets under Featured Items doesn't mean they don't have them. You may find other items you could use, and the prices are usually very reasonable.

http://schenectadyhabitat.org/restore/overview/

• melle_sacto
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I realize it wasn't an 80s home, i was implying that things giving an 80s dated feel (the kitchen in particular) might remind someone of shoddy work.

• User
    9 years ago

A lot about your house is very nice and appears better than those two sales indicated above. But as everyone says, it's probably the kitchens and baths that are turning people off. The most expensive areas of the home to update.

I actually find the baths the most off-putting. I could probably deal with the kitchen.

The master bedroom looks a bit old fashioned with the furniture and valances on the windows. This would be an easy fix to modernize it a bit.

Good luck!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Schenectady is not the land of HGTV and pinterest and to advise the OP to apply those sensibilities to this house in this price range in this area is misguided.

That being said, some of the photos are dreary and the large bath with the platform and the built in step stool is just odd. You could still do plenty of decluttering and furniture editing in the kid's rooms. The master carpet is very dark and sucks the light out of the room. Could there be hardwoods underneath? The living areas and kitchen look nice but as mentioned by others the pot rack adds visual clutter. I would totally omit the basement photo.

I would do more decluttering, brighten up your photos and re examine your price Your house has great curb appeal. Good luck!

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

Getting a lot of on line views that do not translate into even showings, is a classic and fundamental sign that you are overpriced. And not just by 5% either. At the current price, the buyers are not even getting past the on line pictures.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

" Making blanket statements based on one's particular location, personal expectations and pet peeves - not so much."

And, yet, that's the format of your post as well, starting with paragraph one! :) We ALL are assessing this house according to our personal filter and life experience. Welcome to the club.

• Linda Doherty
    9 years ago

Lots of online views but not many showings means that the price is attractive until they see the pictures. I love the exterior. Inside, declutter, change bedspreads to light colored (white/beige) slightly hotel looking/contemporary looking, remove the print pattern rugs and any "old/vintage/overly traditional pictures. Get new throw pillows for couch in an ivory or light neutral color. The prints, colors or bedspreads/rugs, etc all make it look dated.

Remove some of the furniture to make it seem more open/sparse. Get rid of/store the large tan chair next to the sectional couch. Remove wicker baskets from family room. Plump cushions on couch and change out pillows for new Ivory, beige or chocolate ones. Remove rug from girls room. replace towels with white/ivory towels and tie some raffia around "waist" to make them look fresh/decorative. I'd paint the orange bathroom and the pinkish bathroom a neutral linen color.

I'd change out the bedspread and drapes in mstr for something a little more updated, like ivory/taupe accents. It looks old, like something my grandmother would have had, which emphasizes the lack of updating. I know the home is traditional, but you want a few slightly more updated/clean lines of contemporary to offset the old cabinets, etc.

Then get new pictures taken.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I didn't look at the listing until reading so many comments about it. It was so slow to load and coming from a name I didn't recognize, so I stopped it and moved on. Now that I've looked at it, I love the house, but the master bath is the biggest problem. The other bath could be repainted and the border removed and be greatly improved, For another few hundred to $1000, replace the vanity -- but that might lead to other changes we don't see.

In the master bath, I was going to suggest removing the steps to the tub and let folks figure they would sit on the edge and swing in as you normally would and then paint in an updated color. The I saw the rider in front of the vanity. Is that due to some weird plumbing things that have happened over the years or does a very tiny person live in this house? Either way, these things are awkward at best and potentially dangerous. They may work for the current resident, but they are major roadblocks for most people. They may be code violations. I figure I'd have at least a couple of broken toes before long and maybe worse. Those two things would have to go, but I don't know what's under that platform to know if it's a replace the floor situation or a rerun plumbing or more to level the floor.

The kitchen cabinets are not metro chic or HGTV worthy, but they look like they are in good condition and a buyer could paint, reface or replace doors without a lot of expense. The second bath is easy and the bedrooms are fine unless new neutral paint with no nail holes is the standard for sale in your area. I would take down the drapes and valances in the master. It may seem bare, but it will brighten the room and make the room look larger. You could remove some clutter or start packing the basement stuff in boxes (a stack of clean boxes is a cleaner visual and says ready to move rather than how will they get all this stuff out and where will my stuff go). I haven't looked at your comps. I don't know what you are competing with, but I'm also not seeing so much stuff that it gets in the way of seeing the house or makes the house look dirty or unkept.

If you can do one thing only, I would correct that master bath. That could mean (1) living with the mess and expense and (2) a resident who needs these things will have to have other accommodations (a step stool that can be put away before showings). The minimum that would need to be done would be remove the steps to the tub and the platform in front of the vanity and then redo the flooring. You could update the bath by using a freestanding tub and replacing the vanity. If you simply remove the obstacles, I would not spend a lot on flooring - very basic tile or laminate, because the next owner may tear it out to update the bathroom.

If you aren't able or willing to at least change that master bath, the house will not sell without taking a serious hit on the price ($20K minimum but likely $30-50K would be my guess -- you can redo the floor for a lot less). And that's assuming the vanities and kitchen cabinets are comparable to the other homes on the market, If other homes have more updating, well, that's another hit, but not necessarily as big a one.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Linda's advice is good too. And I wanted to add, if you absolutely can't level the floor in the master bath, don't include photos that show that in the listing. Get them in the door and loving the house so at least some will start to think about a fix rather than not even looking at the house.

• melle_sacto
    9 years ago

I can echo kashka_cat's sentiment, overall I think it's a great house and it would cost over double to buy a home like that where I live (probably closer to 3x unless it was in a really bad part of town). I'm not viewing it from the perspective of a person with great wealth, either, but since OP essentially asked what might be holding back the in-person viewings, there are some issues that everyone seems to agree on no matter the locale.

Good luck, I'm enjoying all the input on this thread and I hope you (OP) will follow-up with what you decide to do!

• loonlakelaborcamp
    9 years ago

Please accept as constructive criticism.

The house is overpriced when compared to the 141K and 138K sales. They appear bigger, have more character details.

Your home appears to have overgrown rhododendrons in front (and you are using an older pictures (note the blooms) -- making me think this has been on the market longer than the ad states.) There is something funky happing over the porch in the picture (rot?) The driveway is crumbling, the paint is peeling on the awkwardly inserted 2 (mini) car garage. You've got weeds/bushes growing through your patio bench!

The kitchen has cabinets that are very dated, and very unpopular at this time. The gas range is too wide for the too narrow OTR microwave -- even if it vents outside. Would not pass code here. There is a trip hazard from the dinette area into the kitchen. Also, you must not have any storage in the kitchen, because all your appliances are in storage in the basement - cover them up!

I see you used the same table set to stage the dinette area and the dining room. The dinette picture has the table scrunched back against some sort of attached shelving that no longer appears in other views of the room -- are all the pictures taken at different times?

The pink bath with all the steps is a real tripping problem. Lots of wasted space around bathtub, yet you have to wedge yourself into the toilet!

Painted up well inside - but the pictures make the rooms look small. You may want to add lay-out sketches to show rooms and true layout.

It is move-in ready, just not updated. This house may appeal to those willing to remodel - but at a much lower price, or to first time buyers - but is priced about 25K too high. The house for sale on Wright for $179,000.00 is much bigger looking. Trulia lists you as a 2 out of 10 for schools -- below average-not good. Most people prescreen online so as to not waste face time searching. It appears your pictures/price are cancelling your viewings before they happen.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

yes, i'd do kitchen and master bath (yes floors there would be a problem) paint color in a couple of rooms) for selling purposes i might check on replacing cabinet doors and paint them layout of kitchen looks fine bathroom floor and tub steps should go

that home would sell in our area (yes in houston for near that price (and we're supposed to be one the cheapest home markets around)

possibly trim plants in the front porch area.....

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, that house would be around 850K in my area, but it isn't; so, compare it to listings and sold houses in the OP's neighborhood. I seriously don't think that 50K in updates would be necessary.
    Check out all the advice/idea books on Houzz for staging and listing. The issue with the kitchen cabinets is that they are just dated, not charming dated. I'd seriously look into replacing the doors/drawer fronts.

For starter, check out this[Fix-it-or-not-what-to-ask-when-prepping-your-home-for-sale[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/fix-it-or-not-what-to-ask-when-prepping-your-home-for-sale-stsetivw-vs~26508539)

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

Jewel, I provided my view/filter to illustrate that there ARE different views/filters besides the ones that had already been expressed, not to claim that mine is THE authority on the subject - not at all. In fact the opposite! Sorry if that did not come across.

So then how is that taken into account when the time comes to put my own house up here for critique. Guess I'll have to be OK with opinions of all sorts being expressed....that is after all the whole point of a public forum like this.. Perhaps all I really need to say to the OP is - take what you can use and disregard the rest. Carry on everyone!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

My neighbor's house sold for prime money: Everything painted gray(ish); very minimal furniture; white painted oak cabinets and marble counters, and a few blingy light fixtures. The yard was styled, including a pair of gardening gloves and hat. It looked like an ad out of Restoration Hardware, and even though many people don't like the look, it screamed "upscale."

Check out these updates to the wood trim kitchens:

http://simplychictreasures.blogspot.ca/2013/01/1980s-melamine-cupboard-update.html

http://retrorenovation.com/2013/03/26/remodel-1980s-kitchen-bathroom/

http://simplychictreasures.blogspot.com/2013/01/1980s-melamine-cupboard-update.html

• pooks1976
    9 years ago

It is a lovely home, but the problem is the kitchen and bathrooms. To a buyer looking at those rooms, they just scream $$$. If a buyer needs to gut a kitchen and a bathroom, they need to pay less on the purchase price. It doesn't really matter to a buyer that house A has a kitchen that kind of works, but needs everything, or house B has a non-functioning kitchen. Once a kitchen gets to a point where it needs a gut job, it is really about the same amount of $$$. So they buy the cheaper house, where the owner knows it isn't "move in ready."

• patty_cakes42
    9 years ago

lascatx has hit the nail on the head, DON'T INCLUDE PHOTOS that 'highlight' something odd or that needs changing~the 'ladder' into the tub, and platform would definitely be considered odd. Also the basement picture. You want to highlight what is attractive, the fireplace for instance(omit the oversize chair!)to generate interest as well as a showing. It might be a good idea to paint the 'colorful' rooms a warm tan, as well as removing the wallpaper border. Someone mentioned neutral bedding/window trearments in the master, another good idea. Remove the tablecloth/placemats from the kitchen table and the placemats from the DR table~they add nothing. Remove the rug in the little girls room and use it in the bathroon(orange),showing less of the (dated)tile.

From the standpoint of cleanliness and clutter-free, your house probably IS move in ready, but unfortunately, in todays marker, buyer's EXPECT new//bright and shiny, thank's to HGTV.

Hopfully your home will attract someone who would prefer to take the house back to the era in which it was built. In the kitchen, I could envision white cabinets w/glass in uppers, restored 'old style' white stove, farm style porcelain sink, and oak wood flooring. While not horribly expensive items, an investment nevertheless.

The best of luck to you! ;)

• AtomicJay007
    9 years ago

I agree with the comments above and will add one other: get a new realtor. Any realtor who would agree to list your home at the inflated price isn't looking to sell; they are hoping for a fluke and/or some other realtor to do the footwork. I would caution you also to consider what comparable homes are appraising for in your area. By comparable, I mean sq footage #beds and baths. For most appraisals, differences in condition, so long as both are acceptable, are priced the same even when one may be in better shape. I say this because even if you found a buyer at this price, the sale would likely never go through when the appraisal comes back far below the sales price. No bank would agree to finance, so unless you find a cash buyer, the price will continue to be a problem for you.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

"If a buyer needs to gut a kitchen and a bathroom"

Well that's certainly the 70K question isn't it. Some of yall may want to avoid Madison, WI (as well as Schenactady NY).

NO SM - that 1st kitch esp. is great! You see - just a little bit of paint, new hardware, lighting and - boom, done. Ive seen that tile at Menards for about a dollar a s.f. Anyway I think Ive made my point. Good luck OP.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Kaska_kat, no one said a 70K reno for kitchen and bath. You can do a gorgeous kitchen/bath reno for a lot less than that and in his area, it would be foolish to do a 70K reno. To redo the whole house, all baths, kitchen, paint and general updating, I figure it would take about $35,000.

• Kati
    9 years ago

Your house has a lot of great things going for it (awesome curb appeal, hardwood floors, open kitchen, fireplace, nice backyard/deck, two car garage, front porch, updated appliances (some), great laundry room, to name a few). i would remove the picture of the basement (no one needs to see that lol), and probably the master bath.

The kitchen cabinets are probably a huge turn off to a lot of buyers and refacing them would be a huge improvement (or painting the wood trim white??)

Good luck--- hope your house sells SOON!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You don't need to spend 35K on kitchen/bath renovations. Paint, hardware, some light fixtures, etc. would go a long way. And different pictures. Highlight the gorgeous doors, photo of the living room and staircase/fireplace from further back.

And open all the blinds! What floor is underneath the master bedroom carpet?

I'd suggest going to the Home Decorating forum and asking room by room advice.

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Oh I agree with you nosoccermom. I wouldn't do the upgrades if I were selling. Not worth it. Heck the kitchen in my house that I sold during the recession was from the early 70's except for the appliances. I changed out the countertop by getting a nice looking laminate from HD, found a cheap subway tile backsplash and painted the cabinets white. Minimal upgrades just to make it look clean and fresh.

My comment was based on the fact that if I was buying the home of the OP, I would expect to have to put that kind of money in to upgrade everything.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

The OP doesn't have to do any of the upgrades suggested. He can sell his house just the way it is. BUT, he also shouldn't be asking $175k either. According to the comps, the house is not worth that asking price. As was posted earlier on, (paraphrasing)the fact that he is getting a lot of online looks that don't translate into people going to see the house=overpriced for what you are getting. NancyLouise

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Actually, I don't think that the OP's house is that much overpriced if you look at what else is for sale.
    This one sold for 165K

• lascatx
    9 years ago

No -- looking at that one and a couple of others linked from there, I don't think it is price or general condition -- though one had what appeared to be original black and white tile -- a plus if it's in good condition. The OP's home appreaas to be in better shape generally, but the baths have been updated -- a long time ago and are dated in a not good way rather than having old charm. Minor changes would soften the second bath and make it look a lot better. If the OP is handy and there are no hidden plumbing or mechanical issues involved in taking out the steps and platform, replacing the tile, painting the bathrooms and kitchen cabinets to white shouldn't cost a great deal -- maybe $1000 in materials and under $5k with labor. I think that would be money well spent.

But more importantly, it would get people looking at the house and you can't sell it if you don't show it. With those photos already out there, you might do better to take the house off the market, make the changes and then relist. Anyone who has seen the listing already, including screening agents, will have written it off and will need to see it as new and improved to even look now.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree, but it looks like we scared away OP with suggestions to spend 30-40% of the house value on renovations or dropping the price by that much.

The home decorating forum would be more hospitable.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Perhaps we did, but I don't know. Kitchens and decorating can be pretty tough at times. Hoping the OP is getting update notices -- at least some of them and will read if not reply. I think one well planned weekend could put this right back on the market -- not totally updated but nothing glaring, unusual or scary.

• User
    9 years ago

Your house is neat and tidy and as previously stated it has some nice features. I want to point out what I did not see in your listing. How old is the roof, furnace, AC and HW tank? Has the electric been upgraded? How old are the windows? After location and price these are the things that are very important to me. I can definitely live with an outdated kitchen or bath until I could DIY and upgrade if the price is right, but I need to make sure my house will be safe, clean, dry, warm, or cooled for many years while I take my time and upgrade. When I don't see the dates on when these items were upgraded I think they are at the end of their life. Also- I hate to say this but I have had those kitchen cabinets and they are the worst.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Acadia, those thing may factor into an offer or purchase price, but only if they are end of life or essentially brand new -- but they won't to squat for getting listing veiwers to come look at the home. You are getting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't think the OP has ever come back to this thread. Lots of good advice...but...pointless if he doesn't receive it.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

jn3344,

I am sure the OP is receiving the comments. It is very common for the OP to lurk in the background when the comments seem harsh or may not parallel what their thoughts are.

lascatx, you say that the property is not overpriced, but then proceed to say that in order to sell it, the OP has to update the home. Which costs money. Which means that in its present condition, it is overpriced.

• User
    9 years ago

lascatx- you are right. I think I am used to how they list things in my area. If the house is being sold at top market prices the listing boasts how new the items I listed are. Other house listings might say "new roof in 2005, newer windows" etc. I shouldn't assume it's that way everywhere.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

NC, As you are looking at it, yes. But I don't think the OP wouldn't have any showings if they didn't have the master bath photos in the online listing so I don't think it is price alone that is keeping folks from looking. Tons of curb appeal and charm that should get people in the door, but a couple of scary photos and anyone who doesn't know what to do with that or doesn't want to have to do any work will all look elsewhere. Without those photos, folks would come and look and at least a few would want to know what it woud take to fix it.

I don't think the OP can get that price for the house as is, but I don't think it will require total renos on the kitchen and baths to get there. All that really needs to be done is to get rid of something that was apprently very personalized for a current or previous resident. I'd paint the other bath while I was at it, but all of that can be done in a productive weekend or a week. I think that would put it in line with the comps for a lot less than what a buyer would want to discount, plus, new photos will get people in the door.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I think Michael has left the building. But my two cents: agree that some good DIY work (mostly painting) will help. But I'm also wondering about the condition of the roof on the front porch and the garage. What's that thing above and to the left of the flag? And the corner of the garage roof has gaps. Those stood out to me as potential issues.

I do think the house has great curb appeal - love the blossoming shrubs and front porch.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

The thing behind the flag is a rain diverter so you can aproacc the front door without water being dumped off the roof onto you. Looks like it could use a scraping and fresh coat of paint. Not sure the corner of the garage ahs anything going on -- could just be less than artisan craftsmanship. But again, these are nits to pick with offer price and inspection issues -- not anything that would prevent buyers from looking at the house. People are getting WAAAYYYY beyond the scope of the question.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

That is a rain diverter... used to keep the area under the front entrance dry when the roofline has no gutters. This way, one can walk up the steps to the front door w/o walking through the drip line.

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

It's cute, reminds me of my grandmother's old house. I think most of it looks fine. The green paint in the hall and living room is probably to dark and makes the area look smaller. I like it, but it doesn't "Sell" the place because it closes it in and makes it dark rather than open and bright.

The kitchen ccabinets are from the condo I built new in 1985. NOBODY wants them. That type can be tricky to paint, but it can be done. Google "painting laminate cabinets." I am replacing thermosfoil doors which I feel are dated (and they are 10 years newer than yours!). I am using thecabinetjoint.com and ordering just new doors. You might be able to buy something that matches the sides of your cabinets, or get white thermofoild doors (cheapest bet I think) and paint the sides of your cabietns white. It will update it for less than 3k. You can also buy door panels for the sides of the cabinets if you stay in the wood family, and since most of the cabinet will then be covered, just paint what shows to blend. New laminate countertops wouldn't cost much either. Some people can diy them, they sell them prefab in hd and Lowes.

The bathroom is a trip hazard. Probably wouldn't meet code in some places. Might be better just to take the stairs our because I could sit on the side and pull me legs over, but I couldn't see myself gong down those steps while wet....so why call attention to the high tub?

They say....kitchens and baths sell houses, and those are the only two things wrong with yours! (every buyer knows he might need new carpet, paint etc, so I didn't even look at that stuff) Just think about painting the dark colors light, and maybe neutralize the kids rooms, after you do the kitchen.

Good luck!

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

rain diverter - makes sense. I didn't notice that there weren't gutters on the porch roof.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I may be the only one here, but when i was looking for a home i was not looking for the most "up to date" place. Around here people buy homes that are not updated all the time. That kitchen is really not that bad. You could just put some new doors and an inexpensive countertop.

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

And that is just fine, tlbean. But even people like yourself do not want to pay for an updated kitchen, when the home does not offer one.

• tcufrog
    9 years ago

Here's some advice I have for you that will go a long way without costing too much money.

First off, you need a new photographer. Those were horrible photos with unnecessary lens glare.

My second biggest piece of advice is to lighten up and neutralize the wall colors, declutter and store a lot of your furniture. People are looking for light, airy, open and spacious. They want rooms to feel light-filled and to have lots of open space. When we got our house ready to sell we put a lot of stuff including extraneous furniture in storage and painted some of the rooms light, neutral colors. Those things made a lot of difference in updating our home.

Front exterior: trim back the shrubs so that you see the porch railing and windows. They are also blocking the front walkway. You have a classic style house with lots of curb appeal but the massive shrubs will make it look dark and forbidding when they aren't blooming. You want people to see the front door and the inviting front porch from the street and right now your biggest asset is blocked.

Green living room: I would paint the dark green living room and stairwell a light neutral color since the green doesn't photograph well and makes the room cave-like. I would also remove the giant chair next to the fireplace. It blocks the focal point and makes the room look too small. I would also remove the rug so you can better showcase your lovely hardwoods.

Kitchen:

I would also paint the kitchen, declutter the counters including removing the coffee cups and remove the valance. If you can't afford to redo the kitchen I would at least paint the bottom front of the peninsula the adjoining wall color to help it recede into the background. If the kitchen table is in good shape I would remove the tablecloth, candle, and placemats. Put a low bowl of fresh fruit on top. The ideal would be replacing the kitchen cabinet doors but even painting the cabinet boxes white would help update the the kitchen. Next I would declutter the buffet in the breakfast nook and remove the wreath. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds. The wall color is dark so the more you can do to make the rooms light filled the better.

Dining room: remove the rug so that the buyers can see that you have pristine hardwoods. It will also make the room feel bigger.

Living room: remove some of the chests. Having that many of them in the room is making it feel small and crowded. I would also remove the recliner if possible. The more open it feels the bigger the space will feel.

Orange bathroom: paint the walls a light neutral color. If the floral trim is wallpaper, remove it. Paint the bathroom trim a glossy white.

Master bedroom: Replace the curtains with neutral sheers. The ideal would be to remove the blue carpet but I know that's probably out of budget. If you have a neutral rug that's much larger than the bed float the bed on top of it to neutralize the blue carpet. I would also get an inexpensive bed in a bag that's a neutral color to replace your bedding. Your goal is to make the blue carpet less over whelming.

Purple bath: I agree with everyone that the stairs have to go. You also need to paint the walls a neutral color.

Hallway: either remove the bookshelves or pack up 50% of the books and most of the decorative items on top. When people see stuffed bookshelves and full surfaces they think the house doesn't have enough storage.

I know the list looks overwhelming but these are all things you can do yourself without hiring someone.

• simplifyingmylife
    9 years ago

Kitchen cabinets and bathroom are very dated. "Kaching" $$$ I think your price just has to reflect this. I love old homes, though and your house has great curb appeal. Love your front porch! Good luck to you!

• Mass Imo
    9 years ago

im having same issue

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

The biggest red flag to me is the bathroom with the vanity on the platform. WTH? Are there plumbing issues under there which warranted the built-up floor? That looks very dangerous, and quite possibly pricey to fix. I sure wouldn't show that picture!

And I agree that the shrubs in front are overgrown. Pretty, but overgrown. They're hiding the house.