SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

I Did It! (introduction)

Carrie B
9 years ago

Hi,

I've stopped in here on this forum from time to time, but don't believe I've ever commented.

About ten years ago, I left my non-profit work to make even less money in horticulture. ;) It was a long and circuitous path - I worked in a garden center, then a flower shop (in the city) I did several side-gardening-jobs all along. Then I worked for a landscaping company for a season. I asked a friend - well established in the hort world in my city - what I should do to pursue a career in horticulture (I didn't want to go back to school) & he suggested an Internship at an area arboretum or botanical garden.

My year long arboretum internship got me a job with an arboretum Board member's suburban garden design/install/maintenance company where I worked for seven years. My side jobs kept increasing - in the busy season, I'd work four days for the company in the suburbs, and the other three for my city clients.

I loved my city gardening work. I live in the city, and small urban gardens are my passion. I finally did it. Emailed my boss last winter to tell her that I would not be returning this season. So, here I am, with my own urban gardening business. Feels great.

Here's my garden last summer:

Comment (1)

Sponsored