SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewkuhn

ARGHHH!!! Need Front Porch Roof Redesign Help

Andrew K.
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

GW,

Everyone here has been a great help in the past and I'm hoping you can help once again. I'm in the middle of our current build and am stuck with the proper design of the roof for the front porch.

First - The Background:
-The architect originally drew the porch like in the front elevation picture below:

This elevation was based off of our "Ideal front elevation" that we came across and gave him a picture of for his initial design phase: (below)

========

Current Situation:
After visiting with both a copper roof maker and a metal roof company, we have chosen to go with a metal roof (dark bronze color to match the windows and other trim on the house).

The issue is we took out the center barrel and don't want that look anymore. (Notice we also took out all curved lines on our front elevation (no curved dormer windows, etc.).

This leaves us with a challenging situation because we plan on a similar elevation
(Stone on both left & right 1/3 of house). Straight-edge Hardy Shingle in center and the multiple column front porch (currently drawn as 3 columns (shape of L) on both front corners, 1/2 column against wall. And because we are using a steel roof, we can't have curves in the design.

Current House Build Progress:

MAIN ISSUE:

HOW DO WE BEST DESIGN THE FRONT PORCH ROOF TO FIT WITH THE FORMAL ELEVATION OF THE REST OF THE HOUSE?

=====
=====

Some other elevation details to help with visualization.
-Very similar paint scheme to above
-All windows will have crown on top profile, and window sill on bottom for more "formal look"
-Stone is Eden Stone Country Manor (2" Real Stone Veneer)
Link: http://www.edenstone.net/product.asp?productID=158&name=Eden%20Country%20Manor
-Porch Concrete pad measures 5' deep x 15' long
-Will have overhang so roof will measure 6" deep x 17' long

POSSIBLE IDEAS:
**Here are 3 possible roof ideas I found while driving houses today - I'm open to all suggestions and advice & if you need further measurements let me know as I have tons but didn't want to overload the thread.

Roof Idea #1
(Mansard Roof although not sure what to do with flat/slightly angled center section)

Roof Idea #2
(Very Shallow Roof - Not sure how would look and DH not a fan)

Roof #3
(Like their front porch roof with most likely a steeper side pitch than front pitch)

GW Community - I've been racking my brain for 3 days straight now and need an outside point of view. What does everyone here think and how would you approach this problem? My biggest concern with #2 & #3 is that the top of the roof would come in too narrow and not align with the stone/siding vertical line in the house which was supposed to be a natural break like the original dream house elevation pic.

Thanks in advance for all of your help - just getting this out there to everyone is already making me feel a bit better about it.

Thanks!

Andrew

Comments (8)