SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Desperately need help with front walkway redesign

piscesgirl
17 years ago

We are totally confused as to what to do with our front walkway redo and could really use some suggestions/help/ideas.

Currently we have a concrete L-shaped sidewalk running from the driveway to the house entrance. The sidewalk is very close to the house, only allowing for a 30" wide flower bed), and is about 34 feet long.

See pictures at the following link:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/michele3873/album/576460762396037421

I would love to make this sidewalk more intersting by making it a curved walkway, however we are limited by a few factors:

1) our porch entrance is to the side, so we would need to bring the sidewalk back close to the house to access the porch steps and couldn's swing the sidewalk far out like a typical front entrance porch would allow.

2) our house sits on top of a hill and the front yard quickly starts to slope downward, so we don't have much flat surface to work with.

Should we try and curve the walkway? Would that make the 30" flower bed wider and make the walkway more interesting? Any suggestions on how best to design the curve of the walkway?

Currently our sidewalk is only half of the width of the porch...should we keep it at the current width but then have it widen to the full width where it meets the porch?

Any suggestions on how to best incorporate the flow from the driveway to the sidewalk and the positioning of the sidewalk entry off of the driveway? Our driveway is quite steep so even though the current entry is right at the corner of the house, I am thinking logisticlly this works best because people tend to park at the top and not mid-slope in the driveway. We are also going to be resurfacing the driveway. What should we do first, the driveway resurfacing or the sidewalk redo?

Also, what type of surface should we use for the walkway? What would look best with our brick house? Stamped concrete, pavers, pennsylvania flagstone, etc.? I would like to stay away from a brick sidewalk as our porch is brick and our neighbors sidewalk is brick and both of us have been having a really bad time with moss build up on the brick...making it slippery. We have never had an issue with moss on the concrete, however I am not a big fan of concrete as it gets kinda dirty looking and needs powerwashing frequently.

If we use stamped concrete or pavers, which designs and colors might work best for our brick house?

We also want to move the current downspout to go underneath the sidewalk, and not pour out onto the sidewalk like it currently does. We are also planning on taking out the overgrown holly bush and redoing some of the plantings.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am a visual person so this has been hard for me to picture in my head what might look best without actually seeing it done.

Thanks!

Comments (5)