SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooper_bennett

Help with re-design of split level front entry

Nest Properties
5 years ago

We recently began a full remodel of this 1957 split level-home. As you can see in the photos it has been neglected for some time now. We have a good plan for the interior remodel, but are struggling to come up with a good solution for the exterior around the front door.

The goal of course is to add curb appeal. We will be installing new landscaping, removing trees, repairing the siding, painting the house, adding gutters, and replacing the roof and the door itself.

However I think there is still something that can be done with the front entry area. I really dislike how the front door is recessed. I like the idea of some kind of covered porch, but really would welcome any ideas on how to make the home more attractive. I am not sure how to add a covered porch without causing some awkward roof lines or having water being diverted directly against the exterior of the upper level of the home. Another thought is to build some sort of pergola structure extending across the front of the main/lower level, but I'm not sure how that might really work and I haven't been able to find any examples of this being done.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

(front view)

(closer up of front door area)

(side view of front door area)

Comments (4)