SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewjagor

Split Level Remodel - Design Help

generals1992
6 years ago
All,

I am closing on my first home in about a week and am already planning for a major remodel. The house is currently a tri-level 1960’s vintage ranch style house. The mechanical features of the home have been maintained very well, but it is still very much original on the interior.

I’d like to lean on you guys for help as I think about opening up the living area and expanding the kitchen. The main living area is divided up into four rooms - living and dining in front and kitchen and den in back. There is what I presume to be a load bearing wall running down the middle.

In a perfect world, I’d like to knock down all the walls, expand the kitchen into the dining room, convert current living into dining. And use the extra space from the wall removal as my living area in front of the fireplace.

Here’s my dilemma: I have seen where other houses in the neighborhood have been remodeled, and in some form, they have all at least kept a partial wall or pillar where the four walls converge. My question to you is - how feasible is it to remove that wall so I don’t have to have a pillar there? And if I must have a pillar there, how can I work the kitchen so I don’t have a pillar awkwardly placed in the middle of where I plan to put an island?

I’ve attached a few pictures - any advice or criticism is welcome. As you’ll see, I’d like to have the kitchen run the length of the wall abutting the carport, with a bar area where the existing kitchen sink is now. I’d like the island to be across from the cabinet wall, and if I have to have a pillar there, I’d consider doing a table-like end to the island where I put barstools vs. having them in a line on the backside of the island as most people do.

Is it going to be cost prohibitive to take out all of those walls?

Comments (35)