SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Small Condo Furnishing Challenge: Ideas please?

Rudebekia
9 years ago

While I'm excited to be downsizing and simplifying my life, decorating my new condo is going to be a challenge. The one large room will serve as kitchen, dining room, and living room. I need a TV area and I'd like an office/desk area as well. I am single and living in a small space is just fine with me--but each piece of furniture needs to be well thought out! Fortunately I am in a position where I can pretty much furnish the whole place with new things, having sold most of my old furniture.

Please note that it is hard to take a photo of the entire space, and you'll need to ignore the staging furniture (I'm not in the home yet so can't remove it).

What is giving me pause is the 96" "nook" that you see in the first photo below. The stager's sofa is there and it does seem like a cut out made for a sofa. However, I would want a more traditional sitting area around the fireplace.

My thoughts right now are: two ultra comfy club chairs flanking the fireplace, with an ottoman and a couple of side tables/lamps. In the "nook" where the sofa now is a library wall unit with built in desk such as the Hooker Cherry Creek (serves as a cross between bookcases and dining hutch, with built in desk and file cabinet). Under the hanging lamp a 48" round expandable dining table and chairs, and where the plant is under the window--a 55" nook--a dining room server. In the last photo, where the small server now is, a media stand with TV or a media armoire that hides the TV.

I'm having the most difficulty with the library wall system. I do want bookshelves, dining storage, and a desk/office area. These kind of units combine them all and thus maximize storage and efficiency. However, I just haven't found one that suits my taste (I started a discussion on this a week ago or so and got some direction but haven't quite found something). The Hooker Cherry Creek is dark and too formal-looking. Parker House has a number of different models but they are all highly ornate: I don't like any of them. So I'm still gathering ideas here.

My tastes are more traditional/transitional than modern/contemporary. I'd like to make this space comfy, cozy, calming, and pretty.

All ideas more than welcome! Thanks.

Comments (12)