SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finemnt

Progress, but still needs a lot of work

Eric E
9 years ago

Just want your opinion. New home owner in South Texas (Tip of Texas). This home's grass was pretty much nothing except a small corner green patch. It's been since October that I've been watering, cutting frequently, and have fertilized it about 3 times. Its improved, but seems that it still needs to fill up in between. I know it takes time, but any suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated.

I fertilized it with Sta Green 29-0-5 about 30 days ago. Yesterday I added another fertilizer, Expert Gardner 29-0-4. I've read that it is good to fertilize monthly with a high nitrogen fertilizer? I started reading these forums, it seems Lesco brand is used quite a bit. So that will be my next purchase for a pure nitrogen fertilizer.

My plan for next month is to top the lawn with compost to help improve organic matter and also help level it out. When I do this, I plan to over seed the grass section. There is a section of my yard (not shown) that has no grass. The soil is extremely hard and big cracks develop when it dries. I will be tilling this area and adding compost and seeding.

Questions:

Does it seem I'm on the right track?

What fertilizer should I go for next month?

Since this is common bermuda, which seed should I go with? Any specific brands?

I'm deep watering twice per week, although there has been plenty of rain so this has helped!

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments (8)