diana_noil

Front Yard Work In Progress... Need Suggestions

diana_noil
15 years ago

I bought this house last July when it looked like this:

{{gwi:692324}}

This is what it looks like today:

{{gwi:692325}}

Clearly, I still have a lot of work left to do to give my cottage house a cottage front yard. My plan still for this year is to connect the bed along the house with the bed that lines the sidewalk from this corner.

{{gwi:692326}}

I planted Weigela and Karley Rose grass in front. To the right of the front door beneath the windowI planted a Huldine clematis and a Moondance rose . In front of that, I have 3 Gruss an Aachen roses, daylilies and creeping thyme I need to plant. I am going to connect the two beds and plant some more low rose bushes.

I don't like all of the hosta in front. I like hosta, just not the right look to make this more cottage like. I salvaged all of it from a bed that was going to be trampled during renovations last year and just moved it to the front to try to save it for somewhere else or someone else.

I am thinking about moving the coral bells under the evergreen? I planted some liriope there last summer and it survived so I can add to that.

So, my main questions:

1. Suggestions of what to plant under the tree considering the evergreen and limited sun issues?

2. Suggestions on what to plant along the front of the walkway where the hosta is now that is still going to be low? That area gets about 3 hours of morning sun.

3. Any other suggestions?

I really appreciate the help. I have hit a mental block.

(By the way, I know the shrubs on the far right that hide the bay window are hideous looking. Next spring's project is to take out the viburnum and evergreen shrubs, put in an arbor next to the little piece of house that juts out and then add a flagstone path to the backyard and a shade garden)

Comments (5)

Sponsored