SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Philodendron 'Xanadu' - Does it come back from the roots?

I know that Philodendron Selloum (Cut-leaf Philodendron) is very frost/freeze tolerant. I'm wondering about their dwarf relative, Philodendron 'Xanadu'. I just put some in the ground. They are planted under the canopy of a magnolia and oaks, so they will be somewhat protected next winter. Does anyone in north or central Florida have experience growing these in-ground? Are they frost/freeze tolerant? If not, do they come back from the roots? Slow or fast to return? If I cover them with a towel or blanket, will they make it through?

By the way, these were very easy to separate into smaller plants (to get more bang-for-the-buck, of course!). Remove the plant from its nursery pot and submerge the entire rootball and soil into a bucket of water. Using your finger tips, very gently and slowly tease apart the roots. If you take your time, the roots are easy to separate. Put your hands under and below the plant and start at the bottom. Slowly, slowly, tease the roots apart and let the soil fall away (all inside the bucket of water).

After the roots are hanging free, you can see where the plant itself can be separated into smaller sections, each section having its own roots (essential). When separating sections, again, proceed slowly and gently. Look at the logical breaks. Do not rip or tear them apart. Slowly bend them apart, supporting with your fingers right where they are joined, until they snap apart.

Once separated, keep all sections in the bucket of water as you plant them, one-by-one. Do not lay out on the ground and let the roots dry out. The sections I planted last week look as good and healthy as the day I put them in. They never even blinked.

I use this same separating procedure for loriope, aztec grass, and other types of clumping plants. $6.99 doesn't seem nearly as expensive for five plants versus one. :)

Xanadu is a great plant!.... if it is a perennial! Waiting to hear from ya'll...

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (2)