SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeniniowa

Need help estimating price for kitchen & second floor bath remodel

Jennifer Weinman
9 years ago

Forgive me in advance if all of this comes off as totally uninformed or novice or even COMPLETELY ridiculous to even ask. I'm still learning and have a lot to figure out! We are at the very early stages of planning and budgeting and figuring out what is feasible with our house and our budget. We haven't finalized a total design yet, though we have some specific ideas in mind, but will definitely need to get an architect involved since it's going to be a big job. I actually don't really think it's feasible to even get a full grasp of the entire price at this point because there are so many unknowns. We live in a 100 year old house with plaster walls and I'm anticipating some surprises along the way. Mostly, I'm looking for ideas for the general materials, labor, plumbing, electric side of things. I can price out cabinets, flooring, tile, counters, fixtures, doors, etc on my own. It's the rest that is kind of a big question mark to me.

For reference, we are in a small town in Iowa. We've found costs for plumbing/electrical to be maybe a tad lower than most larger midwest markets, same for GCs that we've worked with in the past. We are willing to DIY a fair amount, but would like to hire out electrical, plumbing, framing, and the bigger exterior work. We are fine with doing tile, paint, assembly, and probably most installation. I know how to drywall and do the finish work on walls to prep for painting (thank you college summer job for teaching me that!) We will likely try to repurpose as much trim and flooring that we can since it's in good shape and original to the house.

The project I'm envisioning at this point will involve a total gut of our kitchen, opening a wall (non-load bearing) partway to our dining room, reframing a small powder room that already exists but needs the door moved to the other side, and a small addition that will be roughly a 1'x11' bump out, with a small entry way tacked on too that will be probably about 4'x6' or so. The area that we are "annexing" and then adding to for our kitchen is currently the back "porch" that is enclosed and is in rough shape. It is divided into a 3/4 bath that will turn into the powder room and entryway and is just a storage area right now. There is block foundation at the moment, I'm guessing that will have to change? My guess is that either we will add on to that for the little addition and have to do new floors and make them level, or just tear the whole porch off and start from scratch. That's the biggest unknown for me at this point. It's also unknown if we'll have to do a support beam between the current kitchen and the space we are annexing since that's an original exterior wall we'd be opening up in order to enlarge the kitchen. We'd also need to move our central AC unit for the house since it's where the addition will be. Won't be moved too far, maybe 3 ft.

In the kitchen, we'll need to move a bunch of outlets, run a gas line for the cooktop, add plumbing for a sink since we are moving it, and we will have to also move a sink in the powder room. All of the current plumbing runs underneath the kitchen and bath/porch and we can access it easily from our basement. We need to replace the floor and would like to match the hardwoods in the rest of our first floor (original to the house - it's narrow oak) We'll probably do recessed lighting in the kitchen, and one over sink light TBD. We'll be closing up one rather large window/wall and moving the window to another wall. In fact, we'd be happy to reuse the window! The finished kitchen will be about 11x17 or so.

Now here's where it get's EVEN crazier...

Above our kitchen is a bedroom that we'd like to move our bathroom and laundry into. We figure if we're going to open up walls and do plumbing and all that work in the kitchen and have longterm plans of a bathroom switch upstairs right above, we should do it all at once while the walls are open. Our plans for the bathroom/laundry space would involve us putting in a shower/tub combo (we actually have a tub we'd reuse), a toilet (we'd probably reuse one we currently have if at all possible), a double vanity sink, and obviously laundry vent and hook up. No major moving of walls or anything, though we would need to steal about 6-8 inches from a closet in a neighboring room in a way that isn't overly complex. We might actually be able to DIY that part. The current second floor bath would have to have everything capped off, and we'd probably do all the finishing in there since it will be turned into a small office.

The one thing I don't know about is plumbing/drainage and running that from the second floor and how that all works. It will be right above the kitchen that we are gutting, so does that make it easier?? I'll post a picture right after this that might help explain the location of the current plumbing/sewer etc

Anyways, it's a big project. It's a big dream. We are sort of clueless what scope we're even thinking for $ right now and frankly need a dose of reality. We aren't planning to make this super duper high end, but this is our forever home, so we do want it to be nice, and we're willing to wait and save for this project to make it work the best we can for us. The biggest priority is the kitchen and first floor. If the bathroom thing doesn't happen ever, we will survive :)

Comments (15)