SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
nj_mom

Need advice gtting started on kitchen/bath remodel

NJ Mom
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We want to do a kitchen/bath remodel, and are having trouble figuring out a reasonable budget and what sort of professionals to hire.

Major specifics:

• Home is a bi-level/raised ranch style house built in the 1960s. Foundation is a concrete slab. We're located in Northern New Jersey (about 20 miles from NYC).
  • We want to open up a non-load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room (on upper floor).
  • Close up an exterior door that leads to deck.
  • Change footprint of kitchen, put in kitchen island with gas range/oven (would need to move gas line). Put in vent hood with proper ducting. (current kitchen is 175 sq. ft, but has only one wall of non-functional counter space)
  • Lower level, we want to expand the small half-bath to a full bath. Build out walls and add plumbing (as mentioned before, we are on a concrete slab). Possibly close up exterior window or make it smaller?
  • Relocate and substantially widen entryway in (probably) load bearing wall on lower level. Would this need a new beam?
  • Relocate plumbing and electrical in laundry room to change layout.
  • Basic garage facelift. Repair/paint damaged drywall, add efficient storage.

Other issues:

• Our style is somewhat transtitional (I like more traditional, my husband likes more modern).
  • New kitchen cabinets. We're considering IKEA cabinets and custom wooden doors from someplace like Semihandmade or Kokeena, but aren't sure whether these would be substantial cost savings compared to semi-custom or custom cabinets. (I HATE the look of painted cabinets, so we would definitely want wood or wood-look doors).
  • Stainless steel appliances, but not neccesarily high-end. Something in the mid-range at a big-box store would work within our budget.
  • Considering extending the current original hardwood throughout the kitchen, and refinishing/staining the entire upper floor a color that complements the wooden cabinets. Alternative would be to keep current color and put new tile in kitchen instead.
  • The laundry room is something I would like to DIY (after the plumbing and electrical is taken care of). Same with creating a mudroom area in the newly expanded entryway.
  • Replace dated metal stair rails with something less ugly.
  • Electrical panel was last replaced in 1997, so there would likely be some issues bringing the kitchen up to code.

Ideally, we would like to spend about $50,000 on this project, but are aware that this might be unrealistic. What would be a reasonable budget for a project of this size? We're also not sure how to begin. Given the amount of demolition involved, would we need to bring in an architect, or would an experienced design/build firm be able to do the job? Could we get away with just using a general contractor? What sort of timeline should we expect?

Thanks for any guidance/advice that you could give.

Comments (7)