SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duaroger

Unhappy worms?

duaroger
9 years ago

I've got a worm factory 360 and I'be got 2 trays going right now I just harvested my first tray and was very happy with the quality of castings. I Started with 1 pound of red wigglers about 3 months ago, most of which looked like juveniles. I feed the worms compost from my tumbler after its not very recognizable. I've been putting a couple damp pages of newspaper over the top of the compost below the lid. I've drained off a little bit of leachate but the bottom of each tray is lined with shredded paper. (I know some people say you don't need to line each new tray but since I had a little leachate I figured a little extra bedding couldn't hurt). So I don't think the trays are too wet.

Lately I've been finding a lot of worms hanging out in the newspaper and on the underside of the lid. More than there used to be. I've checked both trays and plenty or worms are still working through the compost. The bottom tray doesn't look like it's ready for harvesting yet and I still see plenty of activity; so I don't think I've got an over population problem. I'm just not sure why so many worms are hanging out in the newspaper and on the lid.

Over the last couple of months there were always a few worms in there but not nearly as many as I see now. I just want to be sure the environment is good for them so they're working at their best. I'm not sure if I should start another tray to give these guys somewhere to go or just turn on a light and leave the lid off to force them into the compost. I don't want to make it into a prison (as another poster previously described that arrangement). I also don't want to start a new try and draw he worms away from the bottom tray that still needs more work. Is it normal for more and more worms to start congregating like this? Is there anything I should do to make them happier? Should I start another tray? Should I scoop these guys off and start a whole new bin?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio