SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?

loger_gw
9 years ago

What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line? This has been a problem at our home built in 1969 with a 1” dia Ball Cypress on top of the line. We planted a Live Oak that I felt was the closes (until I learned our line ran diagonal across our front vs straight to the City’s main.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I finally geared for yearly summer PM cleaning after having a needs 2-3 winters. After 10–20 years my machines and I slowed, wishing we had an easier to use camera to ck for needs first. So I moved the PM to 2 yrs or indications.

Recently I was hearing an indication at the AC’ trap (a low gurgle sound) and seeing a slight sign at the Kitchen’s Clean-out Entry (due to a screened vented plug to show overflow). My inspection showed I got approx 16 oz of water from the washer spinning water out ( mid to late in the spin cycle when the 2” pipe filled, with good flow showing in the 4” home to City main pipe).

I had replaced approx 20’ of 2” cast iron pipe in 03 due to a camera discovering a hole in the bottom of a section of the pipe (said to have a 40 yr life span cleaned/drained properly). My guess was to open the replaced pipe in the garage storage area’s floor. I drilling 3/8” holes in an 8” dia broke a hole in the concrete. Then dug 8-10” to the pipe. My plan was to drill a 1” whole or as needed and push or feed ½” cable 10’ or so (in both directions) looking for signs of grease as the camera showed before.

Before drilling I realized there was a finger size root with finer roots in the area. I did not drill to add to my 2 hrs of investigating. I could see one of the stainless couplers that were used on the replaced cast iron. I did not see a root entering the joint but that will be my next test when I Rotor Rooter (to see if I can feel or recover roots from the sections added).

I would appreciate any tips or experiences controlling roots. Thanks!

Comments (13)