SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

What's For Dinner #338

User
9 years ago

#337 has reached over 100 posts.

Jasdip, I love fried rice/stir fries. I think your ham and asparagus versions looks delicious.

I put my back out two weeks ago and it is still not good. BUT, standing is better than sitting so thankfully I'm still able to cook and bake.

A few of our recent meals.

Starting with my favourite.

Halibut season opened last week.

First halibut of the season. Italian style served with Ricotta Gnocchi in a brown butter sauce.

Baked a raspberry scone cake one morning.

I use my regular scone recipe but add a little more cream, making it more of a thick batter than a biscuit dough.

Chicken Souvlaki.

A porterhouse steak for two. Dinner was simple. Just grilled steak and fried potatoes.

Comments (103)

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Sleeve, I used to work with a bunch of people from Newfoundland and they talked about cod-cheeks and tongues all the time. Now I have a visual :-)

I put my slow cooker on today and made sweet and sour pork, over basmati rice.

• shirl36
    8 years ago

Sunday went to a family reunion....took my usual macaroni salad, Oriental meat balls with BBQ sauce, dessert of Rum Cake tarts and Brownie hearts.

Brought two empty plates home.....

My bread supply in freezer is gone....yesterday made hamburger buns...a kid came in and took half of them home with him...had hamburgers tonite, only 4 left now so they are on the do again list....

also yesterday made a batch of Ken Forkish bread....did alittle different.....I am having trouble doing the pinch and fold routine, old hands just don't want to work anymore....the last two batches I used my Magic Mill.....they turned out good. This time I used my new Big Red Kitchen Aid with the dough hook....I am impressed with the results....my old hands are too!

I am giving up on the big holey crumb that AnnT's beautiful bread always has. Couple three of my family prefers it not so holey....I can do not so holey. There is not enough time to eat all the ideas I come up with from the CF.

• Related Discussions

Samsung 338 Owners

Q

Comments (20)
    Sorry Makeitsew there is no quick wash or prewash. As you toggle thru the various categories you will be able to see what spin, water, soil level each cycle will allow. You could do the spin and rinse, with extra rinse (36 min.) for a quick wash of a couple items. Prewash could be accomplished by using a rinse and low speed spin. I never use the prewash on my old unit, so it wasn't a factor in my purchasing decision. Would be nice to have a quick wash. However, most quick wash features are for a few clothes and I would be interested in knowing the actual minutes listed for that cycle. Below are listings for time. Some cycles will only allow certain spin speeds and water selections. If you use too much soap that would make the times longer. I know people complain of balance. But this isn't my first FL and I've always washed one item and never had any problems. Both in the old FL and the new. Maybe I've just been lucky. Delicate cycle with light soil, low spin, is 38 minutes. Perm. press light soil, med. spin, is 44 minutes. Normal with light soil, any spin speed, any water is 46 minutes. If the total run of your dryer vent(from behind the dryer extending thru the walls to the outside) is only three feet, then the dryer times will be fast. Mine basically exits right outside the wall, so I just have to watch for lint build-up on the animal guard on the outside. You will want to use the options on your dryer. Look in the manual, it shows how much cool time within each cycle. Use the perm. press cycle when appropriate. I also use the wrinkle guard button on the perm. press. Otherwise you'll end up with wrinkled clothes. You can go to Samsungs website and download the manual if you want to look at the display board. The manual that comes with the unit isn't too descriptive. However, the controls are pretty self explanatory. You can just flip the dial to turn on the unit. You don't have to power up the unit before selecting.
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #408 Late Fall 2023

Q

Comments (97)
    No interesting cooking for people over here, but I’ve been cooking tasty food for dogs :-) We’re in Berkeley taking care of our friends’ very elderly and reportedly on his last legs little dog. I am, of course, determined that he will not expire on my watch, and when he eats enthusiastically I feel better. So, what to feed him? The base is a tasty homemade chicken stock, made from a roasted chicken, carrots, celery, onion - just like you’d make a chicken stock for yourself. We cook a batch of rice with that stock. Other chicken is browned then simmered, and minced up. His kibble is soaked in more stock. Then some more cooked chicken and carrots get pureed with stock into a sort of gravy-paste. Rice, kibble, and gravy are mixed, then briefly warmed in the microwave. Finally, crisp bacon is crumbled on top. I am pleased to say that Elderly Dog positively gobbles his food, cleaning his bowl reliably enough that I can give him his pills crushed in the food. I’d happily eat it myself, actually, except that there’s no salt or spice. Well, I don’t really like kibble. All the fixings are in stored in Tupperware so feeding doesn’t take long.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Shirl, I know what you mean, I couldn't try all the recipes I have gotten here if I lived to be 150!

I also have trouble with the pinching and folding, my hands aren't all that old but I still have trouble, heck, there are days I have trouble holding a coffee cup without dropping it. I just thought I was inept, LOL.

I spent much of the day in the garden and at stepmom's doing her errands. I came home and put about 25 pounds of Canadian Bacon smoked today into FoodSaver bags and into the freezer. Then we had chili dogs. (grin)

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    8 years ago

Lobsters out of the waters this morning. Made a potato salad. (i prefer new potatoes and corn boiled with the pot water) but lobster were good and sweet.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Oh my, sleevendog, now THAT'S my kind of supper. Instead we had pancakes and Canadian bacon, because it was Township cleanup day and we had lots of stuff from remodeling that needed to go into that big free dumpster!

Annie

• Lorene H Ridley
    8 years ago

Lamb with mashed potatoes and veggies.

It’s a simple recipe:

Heat the pan well, add salt, pepper and any seasoning on both sides of the steaks. I just use some seasoning I buy off the shelves of the Horton spice Mills store (
    http://www.hortonspicemills.com/services.php -they sell herbs and spices in Montreal, Canada. Anything aromatics from your local store should also do). Wait till the steak sears to form a good visible crust on both sides, and then heat it in an oven preheated to 400F for at least 5 minutes.

For the sauce, I just add wine into the same saucepan, heat until it’s dry, add butter slowly and then top it with some seasoning and salt.

I just make the mashed potatoes and salad as I like.

8 years ago

Just checked the freezer for lamb....steak, anything meat. (that looks good!)

Nope, nada, just seafood. Lasagna, stocks. Just cannot bare getting in a car but it is DH b-day today and we need lamb and greens. Kale or collards.

We just did the LobsterRoll challenge. Driving through NovaScotia and Maine. The winner above...

The looser...(same price) and half the heft.

The third place said to be the best is always crowded everytime we pass by. Even early afternoon....45min wait for take-out, 30min for a table and heard it is leisurely slow service being so tiny and a tiny kitchen. DH has a meeting this morning in NYC so no time for that....maybe next trip.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

Wow, all those wonderful lobster rolls and lobster boils are making me long for the New England coast.

Today was a run to the farmer's market and bounty of summer is in full force. Made peach pie, some handmade papparedelle with a simple sauce of heirloom tomato and basil, and some fresh summer corn with diced zucchini.

Oh, also made a batch of madeleines with raspberry and lemon curd (though my lemon curd was thrown off by the fact that I failed to compensate for just how ginormous the remnant lemons in the backyard had grown)

8 years ago

I did not feel like cooking at all but wanted to sear that lovely smoked pork. First thought of eggs and ham over my homemade english muffins i made the other day for burgers. Decided on fetucchini with pesto and garden peas. Quick seared pork over a sauce of smoked tomatillos, garlic, hot peppers. Served separate but they did go well together after all.

8 years ago

I did breakfast for dinner again. Zucchini flowers way to small to stuff, pea shoots just a few, cold smoked salmon meant to make spring rolls...had some smoked green tomatoes. So easy to just toss it all in a cast iron pan with a mandolin base of new potatoes...with feta.

I love big plans a bit complicated...bail that and add eggs in one pot

, lol.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I made a new recipe, chicken tenders marinated in pineapple juice, lime juice, soy sauce and garlic. Threaded onto skewers and grilled.

Served them with quinoa and some leftover cabbage.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had to go looking for this thread. It was getting to the bottom on the second page.

Sleevendog, my mouth is watering looking at your lobster post. I've never had lobster sweeter or better tasting than lobster from Newfoundland.

And the only cod I've ever liked was the cod tongues I had whenever we visited NFLD.

Shirl, love those little rum cake tarts. And your bread looks great.

Lorene, Lamb is a favourite here. Your dinner looks delicious and beautifully plated.

Jasdip, I would be happy with both your chicken and your sweet and sour pork.

Another catch-up post. A few meals from the first week of July.

1 3/4 pound porterhouse steak with tenderloin grilled and sliced it to share.

Served with potatoes and peas in a cream sauce.

The potatoes were cooked in cream with garlic and thyme. No need to add flour. The starch from the potatoes thickens the cream sauce. The fresh shelled peas were added near the end along with a little fresh grated parmesan.

Grilled Italian sausage with a side of Fettuccine in Pesto.

Basil from the garden.

Stacked Enchiladas. Homemade corn tortillas.

Chicken Curry with Dal and homemade chapati.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Where is everyone?

A few more meals from the past two weeks.

Last night's dinner. Bread came out of the oven just in time to have with

Pasta. My favourite sauce made with Italian Sausage, Mortedella and rosemary.

Chicken breasts, boneless, skin on. Four stuffed with a mushroom Duxelles and two with a sage bread stuffing (two guests not fans of mushrooms).

Served with a green peppercorn sauce, fresh green and yellow beans, parisienne potatoes and steamed cauliflower and radishes.

This dinner was made and plated by Matt. Home-made corn tortillas and salsa. Beef tacos and a potato taco.

I had a craving for mashed potatoes and gravy. So roasted a chicken.

Winged a Thai Green Chicken Curry.

Chicken Piccata with roasted vegetables.

• shambo
    8 years ago

This isn't a particularly special meal, but I wanted to show off my latest "dinnerware." I got tired of using up so many small bowls and plates for condiments, fruit, salads, etc. So one day I speculated aloud about using divided plates or trays. Next thing I know, my husband had ordered a dozen metal trays from an army supply store. When we got the delivery, we laughed & laughed. But then I started using them... And now I'm sold. They're really handy and dishwasher safe. I've been using them for both lunch & dinner meals. Of course, there's just the two of us. I know there are three-part divided plates available, but I really like all the serving sections in these larger trays. I'm looking forward to our next family get together because I think my granddaughters will get a big kick out of them. My own kids will probably just think their mom is weird. Nothing new there.

• cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

Fish and chips...

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Shambo, weird is not necessarily a bad thing, ask MY kids. (grin) Oh, and I like the new dinnerware, very utilitarian! And corn, we're just getting the first of the season's ears now, I'm still waiting for mine in the garden.

Ann T, I'm due for some of those stacked enchiladas. My tomatillos are loaded with small ones, and I'm going to have half a bazillion when they are all ripe. That's OK, I love that green sauce you put on those enchiladas. Everything else looks delicious too, but especially the bread.....and the steak....and the potatoes and gravy. But potato tacos, now that's new to me!

Sleevendog, I love lobster and fondly remember the lobster rolls when I went to Maine.

Cookncarpenter, I wouldn't turn down your fish, either, I love fish. Is that onion rings or calamari?

OK, what's for dinner. Elery got spoiled a bit, I bought a package of lamb chops and marinated them in Evil Jessica's Lime Chipotle marinade. He and Molly enjoyed them very much, while I ate chicken. We had this vegetable side dish with it.

I made a nice stir fry with pak choi, corn, eggplant and zucchini, along with onions and carrots and a couple of radishes, all from the garden.

Tonight I was busy canning pickles and yellow beans, so we had leftovers. Tomorrow? Who knows? I did put some eggplant and zucchini on the griddle until brown and made a "vegetable Torte" with a layer of tomatoes in the middle and bread crumbs and parmesan on the top. It was so not worth the effort, although Elery liked it, and I doubt I'll make it again.

We had the pappardelle with Italian sausage and cream sauce while San was here, that I posted in my other thread, along with a pork tenderloin brined in apple cider.

Dessert was cherry pie, made with half sweet and half sour cherries. The crust was made with lard I rendered last fall from our pigs and the sour cherries were all I managed to wrest from the birds before they devoured them. We topped that with freshly whipped cream, lightly sweetened.

Annie

• annie1992
    8 years ago

OK, so here are those lamb chops, marinated and grilled:

Served with a nice salad for Elery, with peppers, lettuces and cucumbers from the garden.

The infamous vegetable torte...

And tonight's dinner, a pak choi stir fry with onions and garlic, spicy pork and rice noodles. It was good but not wonderful.

Annie

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Annie, great meals!!!!

I love, love the look of your lamb chops!

Cookncarpenter, your fish and chips are restaurant-worthy, they look so good.

Shambo, those are handy-dandy serving plates for sure! Portion control, too.

Ann I don't know which of your meals I like the most. I really wish I could buy boneless breasts with the skin on, but that never happens. Heck, they even sell bone-in with no skin.

Here's a partial picture of our dinner. I forgot about taking a picture until we were done. So this is the leftovers. :-)

It's one of Lidia's recipes, I used chicken thighs and pork chops (a pork chop for hubby). Zucchini slices browned and placed on the meat and then simmered in tomato sauce. She recommends doing it in the oven, but because of 90° weather I simmered it covered, on the stove.

Had leftover pasta primavera as well.

• cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

Carne asada tacos, rice, and beans...

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Wow, cookncarpenter, that's a nice griddle! The food looks good too, of course...

Jasdip, here I can get chicken breasts with the skin on if I buy the ones with the bone in but if they're boneless, they're skinless, always. Same with thighs, I don't know why. And it's in the 90s here too, just too darned hot to even want to eat.

Because it was just too hot to be hungry, I had an egg sandwich for supper and Elery had some hummus with crackers. No pictures, LOL.

Annie

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I made our favourite potato salad for dinner......made with olive oil, and grainy mustard and red wine vinegar dressing. I don't care for mayo potato salad all that much. Sauteed cauliflower, sauteed kale (not my favourite vegetable, but there's lots in the landlord's garden and it keeps appearing on our doorknob) :D

Also pork tenderloin in a Jerk sauce.

• cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

Tacos de pollo...

• shambo
    8 years ago

A few weeks ago my daughter & her husband tried a new-to-them roast pork recipe from Cook's Country. The thing that was unique about the recipe was that it used a pork shoulder (Boston Butt) instead of a loin to produce a slice-able roast that was nice enough to serve for company dinner. They thought it came out really good, so I decided to give it a try.

I had a 4 pound bone-in pork shoulder in the freezer. After thawing, I removed the bone and followed the recipe directions. Then into a 300 degree oven for about four hours. Remove and reserve drippings and refrigerate overnight. Slice and reheat in reserved drippings.

The technique resulted in a delicious pork roast that was not dry at all. Usually I make pulled pork, carnitas or chili verde pork with shoulder. So it was fun to get a true, slice-able roast from such a lowly and flavorful cut that's frequently on sale. Here is the recipe, and here are some pictures of the process. It was too hot to use my oven, so I cooked the roast in my 6 qt Nesco.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Shambo, that looks delicious, and nicely sliced too, I'm going to have to give that a try, thanks.

Annie

• John Liu
    8 years ago

I've been vagabond-ing around Tahoe for a few days, visiting my daughter who is working at a camp in the mountains. My friends are at their family cabin on the lake, so I presented myself and mooched a place to sleep. One night was on the beach in front of their place, two nights were in a tent cabin they have.

So I volunteered to cook one night. It was "clean out the refrigerator" night, and I know we all love fridge Velcro meals.

The fridge had grilled chicken thighs, some skinless chicken breast that had been cooked, very dry mashed potatoes, a half filet of baked salmon, some bits and ends of various vegetables, some soggy white rice, lots of strawberries, cheeses, some salad greens, etc.

So we made a chicken and spinach salad. Diced the chicken breast, browned it, added onion and strawberry and cheese, made a strawberry vinaigrette.

The salmon was broken up with a fork, mixed with goat cheese, caramelized onion, a little garlic, and that was used as filling for little free form pot pies baked in a muffin tin. Topped with mashed potatoes that were revived with melted butter, half and half, and some cheese. I forgot to stipple the potatoes for better browning :-(

The grilled chicken was cut off the bone, then cut into matchsticks, mixed with sesame oil, green onions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and stir fried. Then the rice was dried out in the oven and fried with an egg. The chicken bones and various random veg made a stock, that was cooked down to a sauce thickness. All of that was combined for a quasi Chinese-ish dish. No picture, I forgot.

• shambo
    8 years ago

John, your pot pies look really good, as does the salad. Rummaging through the freezer a couple of days ago, I came across a languishing package of ground beef. All kinds of possibilities, but I was feeling lazy. So I made one of my husband's favorites -- Hamburger Gravy. When we were first married, he introduced me to the combination of ground beef and cream of mushroom soup -- a "delicacy" that I'd never had before. As the years went by, I added fresh mushrooms, onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth. Little by little, the COM soup faded into the background and eventually disappeared. He still loves the stuff, so I make it every once in a while. It's quick, simple, and not bad ladled over slices of bread, baked/mashed potatoes, rice, etc. Here's a picture of the meal, served on my fancy new dinnerware:

• John Liu
    8 years ago

That's funny! I keep hoping to find some sectioned cafeteria trays. I'd like to do a TV dinner themed party sometime.

• shambo
    8 years ago

I'm hoping to put on a similarly themed dinner for my family: creamed chipped beef with mashed potatoes, creamed corn, canned peas or green beans, and jello squares. Trying to emulate mess hall meals or school cafeteria lunches of a bygone era.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Shambo, hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes has always been one of Ashley's favorite meals too, although I never put the dreaded COM in mine, it was always just ground meat, flour, milk, salt and pepper, a dash of worchestershire. I tried sneaking in onions once and was roundly berated, LOL.

So, what's for dinner? I've been spraying weeds in the pasture and hayfield, 8 hours a day for the past week. I've covered about 5 acres with a 2 gallon sprayer on foot, it was supposed to be "spot" spraying and became a much bigger job. Anyway, dinner tonight was a BLT and a root beer at A&W. Last night we had leftovers, the night before that it was a spinach and feta frittata with homemade toast.

No pictures of anything and we don't have cool trays either, LOL.

Annie

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

John, your salad and pot pies look fantastic. What a great idea.

Shambo your fine dinnerware makes me smile every time I see them. You'll have to buy a separate one specially for corn on the cob. :-)

Holey moley Annie that's a lot of walking. Did your sprayer do it all, or did you have to walk back to refill it? :-)

Today was a glorious summer day and we used the little electric grill on the balcony. Chicken thighs marinated in a yogurt and spice sauce. Also grilled bok choy, and some little cherry tomatoes. I sauteed some green beans with sliced almonds and some boiled new potatoes. Little bocconcini mozzarella balls too.

I made an apple pie yesterday so we just had a piece of that with ice cream.

• John Liu
    8 years ago

That looks great. I like chicken in yoghurt, it is a reliable process.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I forgot to post my relish. I made a batch the other nite; a sweet relish.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

We watched the Pioneer Woman yesterday and she made a Mexican Macaroni Salad. It's not really Mexican, but Southwestern. I made it today to have with our sausage on a bun with homemade sausage buns. The macaroni salad is really good and is a keeper.

It uses salsa and sour cream in the dressing, which is why it's pink. Black olives, tomatoes, black beans, etc in the salad.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Jasdip, I'm not THAT ambitious, LOL. I put water tanks in the back of the truck, so I'd spray a spot, go to the truck and refill, spray some more. When I was ready to move to another spot, I'd just move the truck with my "supplies", LOL.

That sweet relish looks really good, I just canned a couple of batches of that myself, the cucumbers are going crazy. I already did a couple of batches of Chase's dills, 3 batches of bread and butter pickles and 2 batches of relish, plus I sent half of a 5 gallon bucket of them home with lpinkmountain, who came to visit me yesterday!

I didn't get pictures of her, but I got pictures of food, I'll post later, right now I have green beans in the pressure canner, so dinner was leftovers of the chicken curry I made when she was here last night.

Annie

• shambo
    8 years ago

Jasdip & Annie, I'm jealous of the homemade relish. Last week I got the latest King Arthur Flour catalog. It included a picture and recipe for Japanese Milk Bread Rolls. I've been wanting to try a roux-based recipe for a couple of years and finally determined to do it. It was an easy technique -- heating a combo of milk, water, & flour until a roux is formed. After cooling, add the other ingredients and proceed as usual. The end result was fluffy, slightly sweet, dinner rolls. My husband thought they tasted similar to King's Hawaiian rolls. They were soft & fluffy but with a dense sturdiness that most uber-soft rolls don't have. I'm going to try to make another batch this week using 50% whole wheat flour. From what I've read, this techniques can be used with most bread recipes. We'll see... Here is the KAF recipe:

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Shambo, I'll trade you some of my relish for some of your rolls! They look amazing. The recipe calls for 2 tbsp bakers special dry milk. Did you use just regular dry milk powder?? I'll pick some up at the bulk store if that's the case. I can see that I'm going to have to scour the second hand stores for a round cake pan, just to make these rolls!

• John Liu
    8 years ago

Dear son likes making potato chips. He cuts them with a peeler or mandolin, then fries them in a pan and chows down. I sent him outside, because otherwise he'd heat up the kitchen. It is another hot day.

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

I would like to take a cross-country road trip and stop at CF Friends for meals. That would be way better than on-the-road food and more friendly!

Chicken Fried Rice, salad, and just out of the oven bread and I'm okay for dinner.

• shambo
    8 years ago

Jasdip, if we could easily swap some of my rolls for your relish, I'd surely do it. I happen to have some KAF special baker's milk on hand. But the other recipes I've seen online just use regular instant dried, so I think that would be fine.

John, your son is amazingly motivated. I have never tried making potato chips. They look delicious!

Mustangs, the bread looks great. I'm so tired right now, I could make a meal out of just a couple of big hunks of bread.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Shambo, could they be made in a glass pie plate instead of a round cake pan?

• shambo
    8 years ago

Jasdip, I think the rolls could be made in just about any pan. The recipe used 2-1/2 cups flour and made 8 huge rolls baked in a 9 inch cake pan. So anything close to that would work, even a square pan. Next time I make the recipe, along with trying half whole wheat, I'm thinking of using a larger pan (definitely not a round one) and making 10 rolls.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Thanks Shambo! I've got rectangular metal pans that would work. I bought some potato flakes as I read they're good in buns, but I haven't used them yet. I think I might try using those in place of the milk powder. How bad could it be? :-)

• shambo
    8 years ago

Jasdip, I add potato flour or flakes quite often in breads too. The only warning is that they suck up a lot of moisture, so I usually end up adding more milk or water to the dough. I try to err on the side of having a wetter dough rather than a dry dough -- for breads, rolls, whatever. I've found that if the dough is too dry, then the end result is also dry and will stale quickly.

I'm like you when it comes to traditional loaves of bread: I slice them and then freeze the cut loaves. Makes more sense when there's just the two of us. I'm terrible at slicing, though. So a couple of years ago, I bought a bread slicing guide, and it has made a world of difference. I envy those of you who can slice bread evenly. It's definitely a talent I do NOT possess.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Tonite I threaded some pork tenderloin chunks on skewers and grilled them. Grilled zucchini as a side dish and for the brown rice along with onions and peppers. Grilled corn on the cob too......we both agreed we like them in the microwave better than grilled. :-)

• cookncarpenter
    8 years ago

Our youngest son home for a few days and requesting all his old favorites, first on his list patty melts... :)

• shambo
    8 years ago

Oh, boy! Patty melts are my favorite!

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Yum, cook, that looks delicious, I love rye bread and that's nice and crispy.

John, your boy is more ambitious than I am too, I seldom make homemade potato chips, although I love all things potato.

Shambo, I can't cut even slices either, I just hack off a hunk, LOL, but it's still good...

Jasdip, I don't care much for grilled corn, for some reason. We just had the first ears from the garden today, and it went into the microwave.

Here's my own "farm to table" dinner. Cucumber salad, with cucumbers from the garden. Roast chicken, with our own pastured birds. Corn on the cob, the first of the season from the garden, and beet greens, also from the garden and because I spent today canning the beet roots. Detroit Dark Red beets became pickled beets and the Golden Beets just got canned plain, we like them reheated with some orange juice and, if the kids are here, a crumble of brown sugar.

Annie

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, beautiful corn and beets! The golden are my favorite! We've had them roasted and in arugula salads with goat cheese the past week.

Last night I made a roasted cherry tomato cream sauce over zoodles.

• shambo
    8 years ago

Annie, I buy beets every week at the farmers' market. I roast/steam them in my small Nesco. Right now, my favorite way to eat them is with a dollop of horseradish & sour cream blended together.

My Greek family used to love scordalia ( garlic/potato puree) with beets. The garlic sauce was usually served with a meal of fried fish, fried eggplant, and beets -- a family favoite. Everything tasted really good with the sauce, but the meal always resulted in a tooth-brushing marathon to get rid of the strong garlic flavor.

A few days ago I made stuffed peppers with chorizo from a local supplier. They pride themselves on using high quality ingredients (only pork shoulder--no snouts, etc.) and, as a result, using less salt than grocery store sausage. I offset the sodium in the sausage by adding brown rice and corn that have been cooked without salt. And a new ingredient to me, salt free Rotel tomatoes. I also made a whole wheat version of the Japanese milk rolls. The recipe calls for 2-1/2 cups of flour, and I substituted 1 cup of white whole wheat. Next time I make them, I will try 50%. Neither one of us noticed an appreciable difference.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Beets.......I was just talking to a girl who had a Great Dane that ate the cooked beets right off the counter! Too funny. Pretty easy for him to counter-surf!

Shambo, I love your buns, you make me want to post mine.

Oh, what the heck....... :D