SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbushopeful

Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath

columbushopeful
9 years ago

My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master bath. It's a very small space. Even after moving a wall (which is making our walk in closet barely a walk in), the bathroom will be 80" wide by 80" deep. This space is only for our vanity and small/freestanding cabinet, the shower and toilet are in an adjoining room. Here's the situation: I have a 72" free-standing vanity from RH, which leaves 4" of space on either side of the vanity before the wall. I am dead-set on wall-mounted sconces at eye level (next to the mirror) - I'll supplement with overhead lighting as needed. I was hoping to achieve the sconce/mirror/sconce/mirror/sconce look, but after looking more closely at the vanity, not sure I'll have enough room. The sinks are placed rather close to the edges of the vanity. With the 23" wide mirrors I was planning on purchasing (Kensington pivot mirror from PB) for above each sink, there is only 7" of space between the edge of the mirror and the wall. I already purchased a 5" wide sconce (obviously before I started doing the calculations and realizing it won't work), that I could return, but would prefer to keep them b/c I like the look. Here's my dilemma...do I:

1) purchase a 60" wide mirror to center over the vanity, which leaves enough room for a single sconce on each side. I'll have to supplement with overhead lighting of some sort, or

2) Go with the original plan, but install the mirrors off-center from the sinks in order to fit the side sconces? From my calculations, I'd have to hang the mirrors about 3" off-center. I think with this option I won't need an overhead light (maybe?) - is (3) 60 watt sconces enough for my small bath?

Has anyone ever hung mirrors off-center like this? I can't tell if it would look terrible and drive me crazy, or if I wouldn't notice a few inches? Any experiences you share is helpful - thanks!

Last question - how much space do I need between mirror and sconce, and wall and sconce? Despite the dozens of posts I've read on this topic, I never really saw an answer. My option 2 above is leaving about 3" b/t wall and sconce and 2" between mirror and sconce. If that is not enough space, than option 2 isn't really a viable option.

Thank you in advance!!

Comments (20)