SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Laundry room paint & would you remove the door?

User
9 years ago

Decided to ask…

1. What color would you pull from the floor to use on the
    walls? The floor is white, various
    shades of pink beige, blue gray, brown grays/taupes.

I dislike the floor, that stays, and my thought was doing
dark would help that. I’m not afraid of
dark colors and I thought I was set on BM Kendall Charcoal, but I don’t know
that I can get past seeing green and the room doesn’t get much natural
light. Chelsea Gray was another contender.

I thought it might be nice to pull the blue gray out and
my sample of BM Coventry looks nice, but I’m thinking it may feel too cold once
done. I can’t articulate why darker
colors don’t feel cold to me. My house
is painted in all warmer tones, and I prefer blue grays paired with stained
wood and reds/berries/rusts. I could
repaint the cabinets in here, but they’ll stay painted. I
could make sure my art has wood stained frames and add a small rug. FWIW, that
blue gray color is also in my kitchen floor and specs in my counters.

Comments (44)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is BM Coventry Gray.

A few more pics of BM Coventry Gray

Coventry Gray

Soshh

chelsea gray soshh

BM Chelsea Gray

chelsea gray

• Next question – Would you remove the door? The litter boxes are in here so we never
      close it, but don’t see why we would ever close it if they weren't. I’d have more wall space and you could
      actually see the wall (instead of door) without having to be right across from
      the room. I was thinking it might be
      nice to hang a b&w (I prefer warmer tone b&w, fwiw) photo gallery on
      the wall where the door is.

I’d have to remove the door stop piece so it wouldn't
    look like I failed to install a door and I’d still have holes. I could patch the hinge holes. I do have an over the door organizer on the
    back, but can find other homes for those things. The white door probably does help bounce some
    light around the room. Couldn't see much
    of a difference when throwing a blanket over the door though.

I did look at various darker taupe colors like – BM Fairview
    taupe, Woodcliff Lake, Whitall Brown, Weimaraner and none of them seem to be
    really working for me. I feel like they
    just enhance the yucky pinky brown of the floor. I just don’t want anything that I can see
    green. The current color is BM
    Northampton Putty – muddy green/brown. I
    like the color, but it doesn't relate to anything.

Because the floor is different than the kitchen area, I
    should probably use the BM Shaker Beige in here as well to tie them together,
    but I just don’t want to. Besides, I just
    gave away almost a full gallon of leftover paint.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Take a look at BM Van Courtland Blue. Goes wonderfully with beadboard too.

• Related Discussions

If you had a laundry room...what would be its decor theme?

Q

Comments (59)
    I have laundry closets, one on the bottom floor and one on the top. The top is a stackable so there's no room for decor. I wish I'd have made that room just a tad bigger so I didn't have to keep laundry soap in the adjoining bathroom (it's in a huge glass container though and everyone thinks I dropped a fortune on bath salts to fill it heh heh). If I ever have a real room dedicated to laundry I'd do antique butlers pantry as my look. Painted cabinets, marble counters, laundry machines hidden behind cabinets, beautiful lighting, a huge fold and storge area....heaven in the laundry....and I'd like a full time maid to stand there and deal with the laundry as well...as long as we're dreaming! My lower closet is in our family room. I painted the walls in a soft cream and the cabinets in a color called patince (a very soft yellow). It has my giraffe door handles for access, and the doors are painted in metalic chalkboard.
    ...See More

How would we remove paint from cedar garage doors ?

Q

Comments (2)
    Welllll... Think "stripping" here! Either the harsh MC-class stuff; OR the newer class of Safer-strippers like the Peel-away system, or Smart-Strip by Dumond chemicals. The safer stuff is twice+ the price, BUT some are NO/Low VOC'S. They're also slower, but you can still spell your name after a few minutes!!! I ordered some of this into our store this summer. Faron Here is a link that might be useful: Better strippers...
    ...See More

Laundry Room - What would you do with this space?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would move the plants too. I think you need things made of materials that will add softness to the room. (Love your floor, btw.) Maybe one nice flowering plant in a wicker basket. I recently added a large lined wicker laundry basket to my laundry room counter. A place to toss dirty dish rags before washing. You can hang over the edge until they dry if needed. How do you feel about adding some time of window valance? I would start higher than the actual window (maybe even up to the ceiling if you don't ever plan on installing crown) and only bring down past the top window trim far enough to hide it (so that no one knows where the window actually starts). A few vintage pieces (aged wood, fabric coverered, wicker, woven leather - anything that will soften) and you're good to go!
    ...See More

Would you give up your laundry room to add a half bath?

Q

Comments (19)
    Thank you all again for the feedback. I'm really leaning towards sacrificing the laundry room and going with a powder room. The more I think about it and think about the way I do laundry, I believe the ROI (for me) on a separate powder room would be greater. I'm attaching a drawing, but I there really isn't much to work with. The area outlined it red is initially going to be a family room, but in a couple of years it will convert to an in-law-suite, so we want/need to keep that area separate the way it is (so ignore the bathroom there, that's part of the suite). The room labeled with the red L and blue B is the current laundry room, proposed change to powder room/mudroom. The alcove with the blue L is where I am thinking of moving the laundry, and the red X in the area to the far right is the location of the main floor bathroom in the existing house. And yes, we have walls, I just didn't draw them out! :-)
    ...See More
  • corgimum
    9 years ago

Does the door rest against a wall? Does it hide any laundry room mess if you leave it open? Can you take it down and live with it off for awhile and then decide?

Your floor looks like a taupe neutral from my phone. Would SW Virtual Taupe work?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb - I had that color out today and thought it was pretty. I'll take a look again, thanks!

Corgimum - Yes, it's against the wall not hiding any mess. Just seems like it's in the way. I actually usually sort clothes in our master bathroom on laundry day so we're not looking at piles of clothes in this room.

I'll check out that Taupe, thanks!

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

In our last house, we removed the door, and I liked it so much better. We also removed the trim, and pulled out the pieces of the door frame, and bought some boards the right width to replace them with. In our house the trim and casing and door were stained, not painted. It should be easier to match the paint than it was the stain.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really do like the Van Courtland Blue.

van courtland blue source

I'll have to dig out my SW deck for the Virtual Taupe.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, I know the perfect color! BM Caponata. a gorgeous raisin.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or, not as deep, BM Vintage Charm.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the Caponata. Didn't think to go that direction.

caponata

The Vintage Charm looks a little too pale purple for me.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

someone here, can't recall who, recently did their powder room in the Caponata, and it was to-die-for gorgeous. Purple is great because it goes with both warm and cool colors.

• User
    9 years ago

oh nice suggestion Tibbrix, that color is both gorgeous and unexpected!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Great with the white of her cabs and machines, and great with her floor as well, IMO.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb as soon as you mentioned powder room I thought of that one. I'm really liking that color. Here's another shot.

It's going to be dark though. I'm hoping the color isn't lost because of it.

apartmenttherapy.com/wk-house-tour-100241

I think the Caponata might better relate to the rest of the house. My cabinets are a red brown, but depending on the lighting they look good with burgundy/eggplant colors too.

The taupe colors I've been looking at are either too brown, too green, too purple in a bad way.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So you might want to try a sample of both the Caponata and the Vintage Charm. Light is everything when it comes to paint color, and the VC might well take on the perfect hue on the walls that are darker. Or on the VC Strip, Mountain Ridge.

Vintage Charm LRV is 16.72, which is very low; Mountain Ridge LRV is 11.43; Caponata is 3.62, so VERY dark.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, 3.62 LRV. I know light is important. I'll think about the VC. I really don't care for how that one looks in any of the photos though.

Another color I looked at briefly...

BM Branchport Brown

www.bjs-assoc.com/portfolio/holiday-house-nyc/

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the door off.

I think the room looks larger, but not sure what to do with this. I'm not going to replace any jambs so if I can't make it work with putty, caulking, and paint I should probably put the door back. Thoughts?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I wouldn't use putty or anything like that. I think it might be wise to leave it so that you can easily put a door back on if you, or a future buyer, want to do so. Easy enough to just get a strip of wood and pop it in there with finishing nails and paint it. Then, if you want to revert back to the door, all you have to do is pry that strip off.

Chocolate brown is another color that, when used right is really beautiful.

How about a rust/orangey color? I love BM Tandoori.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I find it much easier to select a paint color based on an inspiration rather than just off the charts, so, using design seeds, here are some color inspirations for you. I used PPG for paint selections, but you can find similar colors from any mnfctr....this is just to give you an idea. You need to see the actual paint color in the room to see if you like it.

Ashore Hues

Derby Green

Key Largo

Color Pier

Midsummer's Dream

Smoke blue

Nature Tones

Safari Tones

Ruby Lips

Color view

Ship's Harbor

Imperial Purple

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I like it with the door off. I think I'd just paint right over the hinge seatings without filling them in-- no one will ever notice, and you can put the door back easily if you want.

I like the Caponata, or the Ruby Lips Annie just posted! I wouldn't have thought to go with plum/burgundy, but it looks really good. Maybe go with the color of your kitchen cabinets!

• bpath
    9 years ago

With the door off, could you just apply a long strip of trim to even out the jamb and then paint? If a door is wanted later, just pop off the trim and the hinge cut outs are already in place (hang on to your door and the hinges)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

our current house has a small room that was a laundry room (now extra pantry) that is painted BM Hasbrouck brown which is like a semi sweet chocolate brown... trim is SW antique white, cabinets are a light tan and counters are sortof a brick red-- very dark but it looks great I think.

in a previous laundry room, our door swung into the room and I removed it because I wanted to put a folding table along the wall... it made it feel much larger! I left the door off for a few years, then decided I wanted someway to close off the room when I wanted to- hung a glass door (15 light I think) that swung outward- loved it- looked much better than the door we had had up, imo.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I am going to put a pocket door in my laundry room. Have you thought of that? That was I can leave it open, or close it when there are guests.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I'll just paint the door part white for now and then if it still bugs me after a week or so (because I know it will for a few days anyhow) I'll try the trim piece idea. I guess I'd leave the door stop piece still?

Tibb The orange/rust color is nice, but don't want to go in that direction for in here.

Annie - Thanks for the mock ups. I was in BM last night trying some stuff out. Those are reading too pretty for me. I have a room painted BM Van Deusen Blue and the sample brings the blue out of the floor in here. The LRV of Northampton Putty (the current color) is 33.13 and VDB is 10.21. As much as I love the Caponata, I think it's just going to look black (LRV 3.62). Those rooms are getting more light. My Hale Navy sample is 6.68 and looks pretty much black. This morning I even considered the BM Kingsport Gray again. The LRV is 24.24 and the green is gone in comparison to current color.

BM Kingsport Gray day (don't know why I keep wanting to call this Rockport!)

pps7

Kingsport evening

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitty litter dust and a really dark color is something else I just thought of. Unfortunately mine don't like covers on the boxes. I'm wondering how much upkeep it will be. Although the dust is there regardless - I should probably wipes down the walls more in general.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I bought the Caponata. And I didn't test it. I know, I know - I think you should and I normally do. I have a variety of reasons, but the paint store I like to frequent is far away and I needed stuff for another project. For once I'm just kind of winging it. It'll either be really good or really bad and I'll just repaint. Looking at the actual swatch of paint, I think I'd prefer more red in it --more like a black cherry. There's definite purple. Kingsport Gray was my #2 pick. It does work with the floor IRL.

I am going to do a b&w gallery wall where the door used to cover. Larger ones and not on the whole wall, but something asymmetrical that follows the curve.

What isn't shown in my photo is there's space above the cabinets. I plan to stack cabinets on top to take it to the ceiling.

Rockybird - I think a pocket door would be nice. I would like that better than the current door, but I still most likely wouldn't close it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Hope you'll post pics when you've finished painting, and I really hope the Caponata looks great.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It’s hard to capture photos, but here it is. These are night pics. Tried to take some today, but the camera captures
    them about the same. It changes color
    from really purple to a brown with purple undertones to a warmer brown with
    more red tones. I don’t like the
    straight up purple look.

It’s ok. I think
    it goes well with the flooring. I think
    touches of red look nice. There’s less
    light, but the room doesn’t feel smaller to me.
    Well, maybe it does. I did notice
    I feel cluttered now, but thought it might be because my house has been in
    disarray for a few days from painting. (Remember
    you’re not seeing litter boxes, accessories.)
    It could very well be from the color and dramatic contrast in the small
    room. I filled the screw holes in the
    door frame with putty and that helps minimize, but I don’t see myself hanging a
    gallery wall at this point.

I didn’t think it
    would happen, but I’m surprised at how cold the room feels now. I would have strongly disliked any of the
    grays or blue grays because there’s no stained wood to balance it out. I also feel like this room doesn’t go well
    with the rest of the house. It was odd
    man out before, but the feeling is really off now. The floor should be changed, but if I changed
    the floor I’d have to change the countertop, and then I’d still have the distinct
    strip of color along the top of the washer and dryer. Plus, I think DH’s has about had it with my
    projects as of late. (I have more in the works.)

I’m planning to repaint. I’m thinking of pulling one of the beiges out
    of the floor and being done with it. I don't know what to do to add softness to the room. A little 1'x2'ish rug would be the biggest I'd want to go with the litter boxes in here. The largest I could go would be a 3'x5' and I think it would look strange. A few years back I used a wicker laundry basket that lived on top of the dryer, but it's not really practical for larger loads. The basic white plastic one (not shown) works much better for function.

It’s a beautiful color and it goes nice with the floor,
    but I just don’t like it for my house.
    We paint again! (Ha, I was
    thinking the undefeated movie phrase WE RIDE AT DAWN! when I typed that except
    I’m throwing a roller up in the air.)

Sooo coooold. Just looks black in this pic. I will add that I had the cover off the exhaust fan/light combo for these pics. It much darker with the cover back on.

Typically looks like this. You can see that it's not black IRL and it's more obvious when black's near.

There's a chance it could grow on me. It's common for me to take a few weeks before I can really decide if I like a new paint color.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Hmmm. It is such a pretty color, but it does read very dark, almost black. I think if you keep it, you need more lighting. Maybe under-cabinet lights? They would be nice to have anyway.

I think if you went up a couple shades on the same paint strip, it would be perfect.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The under cabinet lighting would be nice and that definitely crossed my mind as I was painting certain areas with a headlamp on, lol!

It's an Affinity color and I don't think they have lighter versions. Actually the people at the paint store told me BM was doing away with that line, but they couldn't understand why.

I thought I wanted to go moody with this room, but I've been trying to reassess the room and figure out what I'm trying to achieve. I definitely need warmth!

Hopefully it will grow on me. Instead of b&w gallery wall, maybe add some art with some life to it. I could also add the door back to remove some of the color and cover the darkest wall.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I really like the color combos on there, but it sounds like you really do not like the color, and it sounds to me like you know you don't, so put the Caponata out of your mind, if not out of your sight right now! and repaint.

How about a very colorful fun color, almost like a children's color? A bright coral or orange color, something energetic?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sun is shining today and it's the first I've seen it in days. That is making a difference during the day. Thanks for the mock ups Tibb. I've been digging corals and rusts lately, but they don't seem to play well with the floor IRL. If I end up repainting it'll most likely be something beige.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Eek. Going from one extreme to the other.

Those prints you've got, though, must look gorgeous on the Caponata. I feel bad that you're not liking it since I am the one who suggested it. Very sorry about that and the cost and labor to you.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the beige will be fine, just safe. I didn't want safe when I started out. There are many shades of beige in the floor.

Don't feel bad Tibb! You certainly don't owe me an apology, I appreciate the suggestions, and I knew I was taking a chance by not sampling. It really does make a difference with the sun out. I do like the first painting I showed above very much in the room. I have other things to work on so I'll sit on it for a while and see what tweaks I can come up with.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I am sorry you don't like it. I think it looks great, but obviously, I can only judge by your pictures! Hope you find a color you love.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I also think it looks great, and it might well be that it is SUCH a dramatic change and that is what you're reacting to. Maybe it does make sense to live with it for a week or two? It does look excellent with the floor. And trimming out dark colors is always smart, via windows, trim, paintings, etc.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Get something with some tangerine in it up on that wall. Beautiful with the Caponata and will add a bit of cheer and warmth to the room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Some fun prints from fulcrum gallery.com

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys and I'll check out that gallery Tibb, thanks.

...it might well be that it is SUCH a dramatic change and that is what you're reacting to..

Definitely. I feel better tonight about it than I did this morning. The sun really did make a difference. It's hard to take photos of the color in here. I wish it looked like the warmer red brown all the time (don't have a pic showing it.) I honestly probably wouldn't be content with beige either. The room would be brighter, but a neutral beige makes the already dingy floor stand out and does nothing positive beside the counter. And you're seeing that when you walk in the room, you know. So we'll see.

Here's the wicker basket I was talking about. That warmth makes me feel better. More light will help with the addition of more color, a different rug, and more wood or texture. I have a wooden wine box top that I like to prop up, normally as a backdrop, different places around the house. I think it would look nice on the wall above my drying rack. I'm going to try and make the room work.

The color isn't as orange as it's appearing in this photo. The white plastic basket I could use as a hamper in the one bathroom and just make it all work on laundry day!

I stumbled upon this lovely pic tonight. I know this room doesn't look like mine, but what I noticed is if the wood wasn't there it would feel cold and not have the same appeal to me.

ourvintagehomelove.blogspot.com/2014/04/kitchen-updates.html

Looked through my rug folder and I very much like this one though I don't know if there's any purple. The description reads red, ivory, navy, and green. I know sometimes all the colors don't get listed. It's 1'11" x 3'.

I kind of like this one, but I'm not sure how I feel about the yellow for in this room and it's more stuffy. 2x3

Yes, I went from saying I was for sure changing it looking through my rug folder.... lol

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You know, if the above are examples of your taste, I honestly think that, once you get one of those rugs in there and your rustic woody stuff and a couple of prints up on the wall, you're going to end up LOVING the Caponata. It is really a great color for the kind of warm, rustic feel and look you're going for. Right now, you only have the stark white of the machines against it, and the bare larger wall. When that starkness is gone and the wall is defined, and you have one of those gorgeous rugs on the floor, I think you may well have one of the nicest laundry rooms around.

I was looking at the horizontal prints, the oranges and the flowers, and thinking something like those would look great up on the wall behind the machines.

Also keep in mind that, right now you're probably staring at the paint color A LOT. That is also going to change, and the color is going to fade into the background and become more about how it makes that room feel when you're in it. I think it's going to be enviable, honestly.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, gray and beige in utility rooms? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

• K O
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have the same issue with my door. It’s in the way of a sink when open and I took it off the hinges for temporary solution. I am considering removing the door frame permanently but unable to confirm if this would be a code violation. Does anyone know if this door is a building code Requirement?