SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniel58

Love the Kohler Stages 45. Lose the island prep sink?

Annie Lesieutre
9 years ago

My new kitchen will have the appliance wall (fridge, range, steam oven) and sink on opposite walls, with a 7' x 3.5' island in between. I originally planned to have a cooking "triangle" with a prep sink in the island and cleanup area by the main sink on the window wall.

Now I have fallen for the Stages. It is so well designed I wonder how much I'd use the prep sink. I love the ease with which one can slide prepped ingredients into a bowl in the sink and then dispose of the trimmings. I like the rack for rinsing and holding large quantities of veggies waiting to be prepped. I like the handy knife storage. Easily half the produce I prep is eaten raw so proximity to the range is often not an issue. It seems like the main downside would be some walking around the island but for me cooking is a fairly relaxed activity and I don't mind the extra exercise.

The upside is that I would then have the entire island as work surface. (I really prefer working on an island to a counter.) I would save the cost of the sink, faucet, a disposal and plumbing the island. I don't know what that adds up to but it would be significant. (Maybe $1K?) I prefer the clean look of an uninterrupted island.

A couple other notes-- The island countertop will be quartz so I'd be using a cutting board on it. There will be a second sink around the corner in the pantry, generally for flowers, hand washing , etc but it could be pressed into service for kitchen prep.

Am I missing anything? Your thoughts, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Annie

Comments (11)