SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

OMG the septic ordeal began this morning!

bethnorcal9
9 years ago

I am exhausted and in pain. My entire body hurts so much I can hardly stand it. I'm gettin' too old for this $h!t!!! Took over two months to get to our septic system. Been a really busy time for the guy who's doing it. He does an excellent job, and is, in my opinion, the best in our area. But he didn't talk to me when he came to do the inspection and subsequent failure. He supposedly told my husband where the leach lines would have to go, but my husband says he doesn't remember him telling him that. MEN! Well, to be fair to him, it was the day after his hernia surgery, so he probably was a little out of it on pain meds.

So I go outside when they get here this morning, and he says "I need to talk to you." "We have to dig out these roses." I was in shock. I had no idea he needed to go right down 3/4 of one of my longest rose beds. My property is really sloped, and it was tough to find an area where they could run 125ft and have it be level. Of course, the only place they could run the lines, was catty-cornered into that rose bed. Sooo... I had to get my niece to cover me at our shop and my son had to go take care of my 96yr old mom, since she had to work the shop. So he couldn't help me. I was so upset. I had no empty pots and probably 60-70 roses to dig up. Thankfully the guy's wife went and got about 15 humongous nursery pots and she helped me dig a handful of them out. But she had to go pick up kids and run errands, so I was mostly on my own. I had to get them all dug out before tomorrow morning when he comes back to dig up and lay down the leach field. I'm leaving all sort of irises to be mangled into the mess because I have no place to put them and it's just too much to do in one day. I had to put 4-6 plants in each pot and cover them with potting soil. And didn't get them watered til almost dark. My back hurts, my bad hip is killing me, my shoulders and neck are aching. But the worst thing about all this is, I discovered I lost quite a lot of roses in that bed. Some died, and some just disappeared (probably due to the dogs running thru there). Some are totally irreplaceable. I just hope the ones I had to dig up don't end up dying on me. Most ended up being totally barerooted.

And now my plans for all those new beds are all messed up because I lost a lot of space... altho I did gain some in an area I didn't expect. It's going to be interesting over the next few months designing the beds. But I realize I'm getting too old to do this stuff anymore. It saddens and scares me. And it shows me how ridiculous my obsession with these roses has become. I just need more hours in the day! And a new body...

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths