SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babydoggie

my dog's toe is suddenly swollen - she can't walk

babydoggie
14 years ago

hi all,

i am hoping someone here can help me figure out what could be happening to my dog.

yesterday morning i took her out of her kennel to find out that she was limping with her front right foot. i looked at the bottom of it and one of her toes appeared swollen. the hair between the toes was reddish. my husband took her to the vet and they said it looked like she was bit by a bug, although there were no visible stings. since she has allergies, it was recommended we start her on benadril and we did.

this morning the situation is absolutely heart-breaking. she can't put any weight on that foot and i'm not even sure she went to the bathroom. her toe has doubled in size and it appears very tender. also there is something that looks like pus, but it could be her saliva from licking on it - i just can't tell. there are also little reddish dots all over the swollen toe tissue - like it was burned.

should i take her to another vet, or should i give it few days? should i put neosporin on it(the vet told my husband yesterday that was not necessary)? i tried applying some ice on it, but she won't let me. she just wants to lay down on the couch and sleep. no food or water today. that really scares me...

any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comments (70)