SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepoco

Sick dog suddenly eating newspaper

ilovepoco
15 years ago

My 12-year-old Jack Russell female has started eating newspaper over the last 2-3 days.

A little background. She went totally blind between Sunday night and Monday morning. We thought it was SARD (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration), but visited a veterinary ophthamologist yesterday who tested her retinal function and found it to be normal (the retinas looked normal on the physical exam as well.) We are treating her with high doses of prednisone for a possible inflamed optic nerve, and that vet is optimistic that we should see some vision returning within a couple of weeks.

Of course that may not be the true diagnosis, and we're considering a visit to a neurologist next.

We're obviously dealing with all kinds of issues right now, trying to help a confused and depressed dog deal with the minutiae of daily life and we are all learning some new coping commands and skills. There are some great websites for the owners of blind dogs, and I've read all the previous posts on this forum about blindness in dogs, SARD, and so forth - thanks to everyone who has been down this road before us for a wealth of information and encouragement.

The reason I'm posting, is that she's been chewing bits off the corners of newspaper sections since Monday, and I also found her repetitively licking a piece of cardboard. She has NEVER shown either behavior before. Possibly it's stress-related, but I'm wondering if this is something anyone has known a dog to do as a result of poisoning?

I'm wondering about poisoning as a possible cause of the blindness, because for the first 2 days she had some other symptoms, including a shaky, weak hind end and some head tremors. Both have greatly lessened today, and she's now eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping fairly normally.

Anything ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (9)